daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1881
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why do you think PPP's don't work out? They're used all over Europe and these projects tend to be faster than government-run projects, especially in Germany.
I did not go through an recent emprical study + on motorways. I just work with some theoretical assesement here, although recently in the CEE countries PPPs seem to not work that well (Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland).

The criteria for me is efficiency and costs to the public.

The PPP is said to have following advantages:
- it gets cheaper credit than gov
- it constructs and maintains more effectively because of private incentives (cheaper and better quality)
- risk sharing
and some political advantage
- it doesn't produce lump sum debt

a) I dont believe in cheaper credits for private entities than governments, this could be with municipalities, or with quite undevelopped or countries. It could also be in cases like current one in Greece (but then again, who is going to invest there anyway).

b) If it does it more efficiently, why it doenst become a private entity with bearing all the risks on its own? Or, why the tendering is not designed in such a way where all those things are reflected? Some would argue with maintenance. All right, but for efficiencies there you need quite long sections and anyway, maintantenance tendering can be allways done separately capturing the same advantages (as well as overhaul repair).

c) The PPP is also about risk trade. The details of the agreement are crucial for the sharing of the risk and therefore also the profits. Even if the private sector would be more efficient under PPP and thus cheaper, it could transfer the risks in such a way, that the resulting price would be in fact worse for the government.

In fact I believe that the risk sharing is the only place where any reduction on the costs can happen. All other effiicency mesures are in my eyes obtainable in normal tendering when done carefully. Under normal tendering there is some risk involved (or lets say trust problem) that increases the costs and that could be lowered when using PPP.

e.g.

normal case:
say I tender for a motorway. I am building it and I find out that my bid was too low for the costs I make. I go bust and dont deliver. The government has to search for new contractor and so on.

PPP case
I close contract for construction and operations for 30 years.

a)
I put there some clause that if the traffic is too low and doesnt repay the cost I get some refunds from gov (good for the firm). In the same scenario, I dont go bust. I just lend more money against the future insured income.

b)
Gov puts there clause that I dont get a cent from it. In the same scenario, I go bust as I know there is no secured payments in the future and no one would lend me anymore.

I dont believe that Czech institutions are able (nor willing) to work in this way (as in b). In fact, I belive that the private sector would prefer the PPP only when the risk would be transfered to the government completaly (as in a). The private entities would then catpure all the additional risk free profit. Its the best kind of business you can get, the profits are private, the losses are socialized.

Last edited by Surel; June 26th, 2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling etc
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1882
Surel

Quote:
Wait a minute, they're not going to turn this into an actual toll road with toll booths? Because the minister was drawing comparisons with France, where most PPP projects are private toll roads...
What minister, where? The only PPP that was ever considered in CZ (also with the infamous Housing and Construction D47 proposal to Ostrava) is done by shadow payment by the government (its like the government is buying the motorway in installments over 30 years).

thats what I mean with prefering private over PPP. It depends quite a lot on the setup.

Private firm Revenues from customers .. ... Revenues from Government
Finances, owns, operates......X1 (private) ........ X2 (czech PPP)
Finances, operates.............. X3 .................... X4
Finances, owns....................X5 .................... X6
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
What minister, where?
http://www.mdcr.cz/cs/Media/Tiskove_...ektu_na_D3.htm
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1884
Surel

Quote:
The statement talks about drawing up on the french experience with this type of financing in the end of the statement (it might sound like he is comparing the system to the French one (e.g.), which he certainly wants to do in order to make it look solid and safe for an ordinary czech).

The PPP is based in payment to the contractor for "accessibility". Thats also in the previous quote.

btw. google translate has quite difficulties to translate czech into anything.
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1885
X236K

Likes (Received): 47

Sorry to say that but what the government is about to do is simply hiding another bulk of public debt...
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1886
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17431

Google street view updated recently all country Now we can drive with GSV thrugh all the road in Czech Republic
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1887
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Nice time-lapse videos of constrution of inner-city tunnel "Blanka" in Prague:

Patočkova 2010 - 2011

Myslbekova 4/2009 - 6/2012

Trojský most - 9/2011 - 6/2012
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1888
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

I love these vids. Nice job Prague
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1889
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Is there an updated version of this map?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1890
Ministerský rada

Huh, this was only a proposal for a yearly budget of National Infrastructure Fund. There will be a new version at the end of summer, I'd expect it around the end of august...
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1891
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
There will be a new version at the end of summer, I'd expect it around the end of august...
Thanks.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1892
Surel

There seems to be some work resumed by the I-11 between Ostrava and Opava. The construction was stopped two years ago because of financial reasons. This would also correspond with the RSD flyer announcing resuming the works this summer. We will see.

Last edited by Surel; July 21st, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1893
Surel

The bypass of Bohumin, I/67, or also the feeder of D1 is opened for traffic. Video credit to Balance:

Old July 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1894
Surel

Nice aerial photos of the I/3 D3 from www.ceskedalnice.cz

Quote:
15. 7. 2012 - Letecké foto
D1 Mirošovice, Modletice
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...ha-Brno/120715

I/3 Mirošovice - Mezno
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...ice/S3/120715a

D3 - 0305/II+0306/I Mezno - Tábor (v provozu)
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...o-Tabor/120715

D3 - 0306/II Obchvat Tábora (rekonstrukce)
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...-tabora/120715

D3 - Tábor - Veselí nad Lužnicí (0307A+B+C, 0308A+B)
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...-veseli/120715

I/3 Veselí nad Lužnicí - České Budějovice (+I/34 u Budějic)
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...ice/S3/120715b

I/3 České Budějovice - Rakousko
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...ice/S3/120715c

R1 Jesenice - Modletice
http://gallery.ceskedalnice.cz/index...raha/po/120715

bonus ... IV TŽK Bystřice - Votice (tunely Tomice I, Tomice II, Zahradnice, Olbramovice, Votice)
http://ttnz.cz/mo/album/v/stavby/sil...ak/220/120715/
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1895
Surel

I-56 (R56) in Ostrava-Vítkovice

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1896
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I drove here two weeks ago (from nám. Republiky up to the mountains), it's a nice road.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1897
Surel

The comedy of D8 has another act. RSD yielded the construction after court decision that basically annuls the construction permit. I dont see into much of the details here becasue the story is becoming surreal. I try to make short resume of the most recent history of it.

Two months ago it seemed ok. There were all the permits etc. and construction went on. The eco terrorists (in this case I call them like this) filed a complaint against the permit that could not on its own yield the stop. The local authority (regional gov) denied the complaint. The activitsts went to the court which now decided that the complaint was denied against the law. Thus the local authority had to stop the permit.

What is funny (not so funny), there is some issue with a 10 yers or so old file that is missing, because it is already so long when it was decided about this motorway, that it got lost in between and there seem to be no copy of it.

RSD statement.

Last edited by Surel; July 31st, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1898
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
What is funny (not so funny), there is some issue with a 10 yers or so old file that is missing, because it is already so long when it was decided about this motorway, that it got lost in between and there seem to be no copy of it.
The EIA process was completed way back in 1996.
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

This D8 construction is a joke. I hope they can get their act together and construct this missing link as soon as possible. If eco-terrorists can win, it means the government doesn't have its act together and is the one to blame.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1900
Ministerský rada

Yep, it's definitely a problem of government, respectively a problem of legislation that enables this kind of hinderness. On the other hand, everybody knows for years now, that the EIA process is old and problematic. Why the hell the don't make at least a new screening EIA process ...

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways