daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1921
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

R46 will get new pavement in next few months and years and a speed limit of 110 kph.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1922
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17478

It`s high time to repair R46 Olomouc-Vyskov.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1923
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Later this month, I'll be driving on the R46 in the direction from Olomouc to Vyskov. Should I expect to be delayed by road works? What is the speed limit now? How is enforcement?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1924
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

There might be some roadworks, check http://mapa.dopravniinfo.cz/ for details. Speed limit is now 100 kph, it was imposed after a tragic accident with several victims and following study that proved a fact, that barriers, pavement quality and other parameters of the road are highly insuficient for 130 kph limit... As for the enforcment, you may count with a 10% tolerance, and there are some random speed checks ...
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1925
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

I've never received a speeding ticket from the Czech Republic and I'm pretty sure I must've been caught by cameras on Jižní spojka and 5. května.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1926
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

He could be fined on the spot by the police in WV Passats.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1927
toonczyk
autostradożerca

I've been stopped on D1 near Ostrava once - I overtook an unmarked Passat just before a tunnel with speed limit, it turned out to be police. They stopped me right after the end of the tunnel and said I must have been doing over 100 (and the speed limit in the tunnel was 80km/h), which wasn't true. Could have been a little bit over 80, I wasn't paying very close attention to the speedo, but I was barely faster than them. Anyway, they were very polite and just warned me to be careful, no ticket. My only complaint is that I was stopped on the shoulder of the motorway, which I wouldn't consider safe. Polish police unfortunately often do the same thing (instead of turning on "follow me" lights and stopping in a safer place - rest area for example).
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1928
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

As far as 110, I'm pretty sure it's a good proposal to increase the speed limit on some stretches.

In GB 110 kph is at dual carriegaway by default (and same limit on motorways, strange, but a bit political I think). Luxembourg allows 110 on chosen 2+1 stretches.

Anyway, both dual carriegaways, and grade separated 1x2/2+1 offer higher standard than usual rural roads, so limit should be increased. What is more, compliance to speed limits in Czech Republic increased, so it's more possible to increase the speed where it's safe and limit it where it's neccesary (i.e. rare at-grade intersections).
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1929
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

In July I drove three times Budapest - Ostrava and back. R46 between D1 and R35 is pretty substandard, a limit of 130 were crazy there. However, I had no idea why R35 is not declared as a motorway between R46 and D1.
Will the missing link of D1 between Hulik and Hranice be built? In this case R46 would have far less traffic than now, wouldn't it?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1930
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 310

I think it's noteworthy that all the 1st class roads intended for 110 kph speed limit are grade separated dual carriageways and almost all of them even have emergency lanes. There is no discussion about increasing speed limit on other than motorway-like roads such as grade separated single carriageways or dual carriageways with at grade intersections.

Examples of the stretches in question: I/37, I/35, I/13, I/20, I/34, I/38, I/11, I/48, I/44, I/26...

Re: Attus
Yes, the last D1 stretch should be finished (sometime) and yes, it's likely the traffic load on R46 will decrease significantly after that.
As for R35: part of the current plan of the ministry of transportation we're discussing here is (administratively) transforming most of current expressways into motorways (all except R4, R7, R46 and R56 which should remain expressways along with newly added I/xx [1st class {=national} roads] grade separated dual carriageways), so R35 should be marked as D35 then. From design parameters standpoint R35 has the very same design parameters like most of czech motorways (D26,5/120) from that time. So indeed no visual or physical difference from a motorway except for expressway sign can be spotted here. This recategorization proposal should end this mess.

Last edited by HiRazor; August 14th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1931
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
I've been stopped on D1 near Ostrava once - I overtook an unmarked Passat just before a tunnel with speed limit, it turned out to be police. They stopped me right after the end of the tunnel and said I must have been doing over 100 (and the speed limit in the tunnel was 80km/h), which wasn't true. Could have been a little bit over 80, I wasn't paying very close attention to the speedo, but I was barely faster than them. Anyway, they were very polite and just warned me to be careful, no ticket. My only complaint is that I was stopped on the shoulder of the motorway, which I wouldn't consider safe. Polish police unfortunately often do the same thing (instead of turning on "follow me" lights and stopping in a safer place - rest area for example).
What is more unsafe than that is at the motorway D2 towards Slovakia near Hustopece where the police stay in the carriageway and stop you for control of vignette. You see them at the last moment and if they choose you for control, you have to break from 130 km/h to zero in few seconds.
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #1932
Surel

Something about the history of the tolling above 3.5 ton on the czech highways. The Kapsch story... (1 mld (bln) Euro = roughly 25 mld (bln) CZK)

In 2005 was made public offer on the tolling systems. The tolling should have been on 2995 kms of highways (motorways + expressways + some first class roads). The tender was (on paper) opened for both microwave and satellite technology. The tendering price was supposed and estimated at 19.2 mld CZK for building the system and maintaining it for 10 years. In reality, the documentation made possible only the microwave bids.
There was no bidder with satellite technology. From the four bidders with microwave technology three were marked as not complying with the documentation and were dismissed before the price tag was questioned. Thus the only winner became Kapsch, irrelevant of its price bid.

The price tag of Kapsh was 22 mld CZK for construction and 10 years maintenance. That is 2007 – 2018 operation.
In the year 2006 there were made several amendments to the contract that increased the price tag by 27 % (28 mld CZK as of 2011) in the grand total. You would expect some improvements in the service. The opposite is reality. In 2011 only 1356 kms of highways is tolled. The first class roads are excluded almost completely from the tolling.
As of September 2011 the total cost made were 16,5 mld CZK, where Kapsch revenue was 15,1 mld CZK.
Let’s look at the real revenue for the government.
As of 2010 56 % of the money went to Kapsch. The cost reached 77 % of the revenue. The prediction for the ten years period shows 42 % of the revenue going to Kapsch. The total cost as high as 66 % of the total revenue.

In mld (bln) CZK

Quite a story dont you think? All the data come from NKU (The Czech Supreme Audit Office)

Last edited by Surel; August 16th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The very high operational costs was also an issue in Germany, and is also a good argument against tolling of passenger cars. The only one who profit are the tolling companies, such as giants like Kapsch.

That is also why nationwide electronic tolling means higher costs, but not more revenue. If you abolish older taxes for the same amount of state revenue, the users end up paying significantly more to cover the high operational costs of such systems.
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1934
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By the way, how much revenue would there have been with the old system (after cost deduction)?
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1935
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
Re: Attus (...) This recategorization proposal should end this mess.
I see, thank you.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1936
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By the way, how much revenue would there have been with the old system (after cost deduction)?
The old system (vignettes) that is still used on the under 3.5 tonn vehicles a the momemnt was used before 2007 for all vehicles and between 2007 - 2010 for vehicles under 12 t.

In the year 2008 were the total revenues from vignettes 2 763 mil CZK and the total costs of vignettes 212 mil CZK. Thus the costs/revenue ratio was less than 10 %.

revenues:
2007: 2 425 mil CZK
2006: 3 291 mil CZK
2005: 3 053 mil CZK

I did not find the costs in the years 2007 and earlier as the coupons print and distribution were managed by the Ministry of Finance. Thus actually you could in fact say, that in those years the costs of the State Fund for Transport Infrastructure (institution that finances the highways and railways) were zero. I think that the costs at the Ministry of Finance were quite low, not more then those 200 mil CZK.

The major part of the revenus were from the vehicles under 3.5 t. I dont have any data on the succes percentage (how many vehicles avoided paying the toll, especially the vehicles above 12 t). But it is anyway clear that the system was overall way more efficient.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1937
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is also why nationwide electronic tolling means higher costs, but not more revenue. If you abolish older taxes for the same amount of state revenue, the users end up paying significantly more to cover the high operational costs of such systems.
The tolling would in my eyes make sense if the costs were kept around 10 % of the total revenues. It would make sense because of the transit. Anyway I think that simpler and cheaper system could be implemented, e.g. sort of time+axle tolling.

On of ideas could be e.g. vignettes (or taxes) on all vehicles registered at the national level + cameras+axle weights on all borders. The cameras would recognize the registration number, system would check whether the given truck has an account and whether the vignette is paid. If not paid, the system would automatically generate billing. The system would check when the vehicle leaves at the boder if approapriate payment was made for given time and would close the account or send bill to the registred owner with additional surcharge for not mayking the appropriate payment when he was entering the country. The police could do the same when checking the vehicles any time. And there could be several such checks at the main routes as well. Plus a database of debtors.

I guess there are many other possibilities.
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1938
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
On of ideas could be e.g. vignettes (or taxes) on all vehicles registered at the national level + cameras+axle weights on all borders. The cameras would recognize the registration number, system would check whether the given truck has an account and whether the vignette is paid. If not paid, the system would automatically generate billing. The system would check when the vehicle leaves at the boder if approapriate payment was made for given time and would close the account or send bill to the registred owner with additional surcharge for not mayking the appropriate payment when he was entering the country. The police could do the same when checking the vehicles any time. And there could be several such checks at the main routes as well. Plus a database of debtors.
Good ideas. It should be as easy for drivers as it is in Hungary.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What's the latest on D8? I've read they can continue construction.
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1940
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Authorities issued a new decision quickly (once again dismissing the appeal against the building permit).
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways