daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #201
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
lol! even at Martinique they have -20 km/h in the case of rain as in France!
French laws apply throughout the entire Republic, even in overseas departments. I believe even in overseas territories like New Caledonia and French Polynesia they have the same driving code as in metropolitan France.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #202
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
That's one hell of an Ikea there.
That's not even the largest Ikea in Paris. The largest Ikea is in Franconville in the northwestern suburbs (whereas the one on the picture is the Ikea in Villepinte in the northern suburbs). Ikea people told me that the Ikea in Franconville is the largest in the world !!
Quote:
IKEA's in the Netherlands always causes quite some traffic jams on the adjacent motorways on saturdays. How's that in France?
In Paris the Ikea stores are open on Sundays, so no need to rush there on Saturdays. I always go on Sundays.
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #203
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The A1 here is impressive (European view)
Yeah, but they HAVE to turn it into a single motorway! I've never understood why in Greater Paris they separate motorways into smaller motorways running next to each other. As if French drivers were afraid of a 12-lane motorway. It's ridiculous.

My second pet-peeve is the way Parisian motorways never have exits!!!! And worse, some motorways don't even have junctions with other motorways. Like when you drive on the A6 going south, when it crosses the A86 you can't take the A86 motorway towards the west, there's simply no ramp that goes there !! And the Michelin map don't even tell you! Once because of that stupid thing I ended up all the way down in Palaiseau whereas I wanted to go to Versailles.
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #204
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Yeah, but they HAVE to turn it into a single motorway! I've never understood why in Greater Paris they separate motorways into smaller motorways running next to each other. As if French drivers were afraid of a 12-lane motorway. It's ridiculous.

No it's not.
It's much better and more efficient like that.

It's much better to have a 3+3+3+3 road than a 6+6, for example.
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #205
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I have to agree with Nephasto here. Very wide motorways aren't efficient. 6x6 is probably still bearable, but anything above would be very bad, because under such a setup drivers need to keep changing across many lanes, which increases weaving and decreases safety. Combine that with cloverleaf interchanges and you have real trouble

This is why the big highways in Toronto are split into multiple carriageways.
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I agree with the two posts above. The capacity of lanes is decreasing per lane if there are over 3 lanes per direction. Like the right lane might have a capacity of 2500 vehicles/hour, while the 6th lane only has 1500 vehicles/hour.

Therefore, a 3+3+3+3 section is better. It also distributes local and through traffic better.

The disadvantage of parallal lanes is, that in case of an accident, 2 or 3 lanes are blocked, which is about the total capacity of a parallel lane. With a 2x6 configuration, you can detour traffic better by the accident.

Though Dutch design standard prefer a parallel lane system with more than 4 lanes per direction, though we have a 2x5 A4, and a future 2x5 A2. Parallel systems also consume more space, because of the extra emergency lanes and central reservations.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #207
Minato ku

Paris Peripherique

Unlike that most will think inner Paris is at the right of this picture, at the left it is the inner "suburbs".
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #208
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4241

There is not a single stack interchange in France, only semi-stacks like that one on the previous page.
The only full stack project I know of is the one that was to be built south of Paris in the 1970's as we can see it drawn with dashes on this 1976 edition Michelin map:

image hosted on flickr

Only half of it was built eventually. The reason is that the northwards motorway was cancelled (the motorway was to join Paris second ring road to Paris city ringroad). The gvt decided that the new TGV atlantique railtrack should use that corridor instead.

Last edited by Cyril; January 5th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Cyril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

Unlike that most will think inner Paris is at the right of this picture, at the left it is the inner "suburbs".
Nice picture. Yeah the Paris city proper is inside the Périphérique, unlike many think. Paris has an incredible amount of suburbs, but i think this is classic French or American, Dutch, Spanish or German cities don't have as much suburbs as their French counterparts.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #210
brisavoine
BANNED

Info about the Tamarind Road (a motorway actually). Pictures have already been posted in this thread.
Quote:
La route des Tamarins en bref

Avec son tracé de 33 kilomètres à mi-hauteur, ses 120 ouvrages d’art pour franchir les ravines dont trois ponts de dimensions exceptionnelles, ses 9 pôles d’échanges pour desservir les agglomérations, la route des Tamarins est appelée à s’inscrire durablement dans le paysage de La Réunion et à jouer un rôle considérable dans l’aménagement du territoire.

Lancée en 1998 avec une livraison aujourd’hui prévue pour fin 2008, la route des Tamarins constitue ainsi le dernier grand chantier du XXe siècle, et le premier du siècle qui s’ouvre. Jamais un ouvrage n’aura autant mérité sa qualité de “grand chantier”. Au-delà de la prouesse technique qu’il représente, cette voie nouvelle revêt une dimension tout à fait exceptionnelle. En premier lieu, la route des Tamarins va permettre l’aboutissement de la mise à 2 x 2 voies tout autour de notre île, de Saint-Benoît à Saint-Pierre, réalisant ainsi l’objectif fixé par le plan d’aménagement à long terme élaboré dès 1990. Sa fonction première est donc de poursuivre la fluidification du trafic routier et notamment entre l’Ouest et le Sud.

Elle permettra également d’alléger significativement la pression sur le littoral qui doit retrouver sa vocation essentiellement urbaine et qui pourra également accueillir le projet de piste cyclable et le futur Tram-train. Mais parallèlement, elle constitue le premier ouvrage routier de moyenne altitude de grande envergure et son influence sur le développement sera aussi grande que celle, à l’époque, de la route Hubert de Lisle. Il anticipe ainsi sur la réalisation à terme de la grande route circulaire de moyenne altitude, qui doit être la colonne vertébrale structurant le développement des zones à mi-hauteur pour répondre ainsi à l’arrivée de plus de 200 000 habitants supplémentaires d’ici 2020. La route des Tamarins jouera donc un rôle structurant dans l’aménagement équilibré du territoire de La Réunion.

La réalisation de cette route de développement représente également une contribution importante pour l’activité économique.

Durant les phases de réalisation, ce chantier va générer plusieurs centaines de millions d’euros pour le BTP et créer environ 1 500 emplois. Avec ces partenaires, la Région a pris les dispositions nécessaires pour que les entreprises réunionnaises et les Réunionnais formés à ces métiers puissent accéder à ce chantier. Par son ampleur exceptionnelle, par son impact économique, par les services qu’elle va rendre aux usagers de la route, enfin et surtout par le rôle qu’elle va jouer sur le plan du développement et de l’aménagement du territoire, la route des Tamarins concerne tous les Réunionnais. Dans cet esprit, nous vous tiendrons régulièrement informés de l’avancement de ce chantier qui participe à la construction de l’avenir de notre île.
http://www.regionreunion.com/fr/spip...hp?article1344
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #211
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Can you translate this shortly in English? French is not wide-spoken outside of France (except some former colonies, but forumers here usually not from there)
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #212
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
French is not wide-spoken outside of France (except some former colonies, but forumers here usually not from there)
French not wide spoken outside of France??? French is spoken by close to 200 million people in more than 40 francophone countries in the world. English is the only language spoken in more countries than French. Furthermore between 100 and 200 million more people can speak French as a foreign language in non-francophone countries.

The 64 million inhabitants of France have now become a minority of the French speakers worldwide, representing only a third of French speakers worldwide (not including people who learnt French as a foreign language). France is still the country with the largest number of French speakers among francophone countries, but in the future it will probably be the Democratic Republic of Congo that will have the most French speakers.

Dark blue: French native tongue; blue: official language/widely used; Light blue: language of culture; green: minority

Quote:
Can you translate this shortly in English?
I'll try to do it as soon as I have time.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #213
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, but does that part of the world is heavily on this forum? Only Quebec and France really.

I know you guys want to think of French as a world language, but it isn't like English, which is almost always taught. French is in a lot of countries only an optional class. I used to have French at school, though i don't remember a lot of it.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #214
brisavoine
BANNED

Don't extrapolate the Netherlands' case to the rest of the world. The Dutch have chosen to discard the language of one of their major neighbors from their school system, they'll probably repent someday when that neighbor will be the most populated country in the EU with the largest economy. Same in Spain where local authorities apparently don't know that France is their number one economic partner, not the UK or the US. And in France now they want to discard German and Spanish in favor of English. The stupidity of language teaching in the EU is appaling.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But it's really frustrating when you are on holiday in France and almost nobody speaks English.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #216
brisavoine
BANNED

You're exagerating Chriszwolle. Besides, I was in Germany several times and I found it very hard to communicate in English with the locals. In Berlin I went to an optician store on Kurfürstendamm, and their wasn't a single saleswoman that could speak English! I was greatly surprised. I can't imagine a store on the Champs-Elysées where nobody could speak English.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah in Germany, they don't speak English very well too. But you can't expect someone to speak all major languages in Europe. You can speak English excellent in the Scandinavian countries
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #218
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Bottom line, both germans and french people suck when it comes to be nice to foreign people who can't speak their national language(I speak by experiance, in the german case).
Not very politically correct to say this, though!
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:56 AM   #219
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
I used to have French at school, though i don't remember a lot of it.
I had French for 5 years in my technical high school (Polish invention).
It was one of the biggest waste of time in my life.
All I can say now is bonjur, merci and that's it.
Out of class of around 30 guys I think only one ore two put a bit of effort to French, all others concentrated on English (which was as badly thought as French in our case, but if you want to learn something bad teacher is lesser problem than bad teacher of hated subject)
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM   #220
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

Is't this about French autoroutes!?

I thought I was in the wrong thread!
picassoborseli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france