daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM   #221
Skylandman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Paris Peripherique

Unlike that most will think inner Paris is at the right of this picture, at the left it is the inner "suburbs".

cool pic, thanks for posting it.
Skylandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #222
xote
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
French not wide spoken outside of France??? French is spoken by close to 200 million people in more than 40 francophone countries in the world. English is the only language spoken in more countries than French. Furthermore between 100 and 200 million more people can speak French as a foreign language in non-francophone countries.

The 64 million inhabitants of France have now become a minority of the French speakers worldwide, representing only a third of French speakers worldwide (not including people who learnt French as a foreign language). France is still the country with the largest number of French speakers among francophone countries, but in the future it will probably be the Democratic Republic of Congo that will have the most French speakers.

Dark blue: French native tongue; blue: official language/widely used; Light blue: language of culture; green: minority

I'll try to do it as soon as I have time.
FFS, most people on this forum don't speak French, and French is not even in the Top 5 of spoken languages world wide, behind Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, and Portuguese. Deal with this reality and be kind enough to provide a frickin translation!

PS: Thanks for ruining the thread with your linguistic hegemonic nonsense.
xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #223
Kitty01
:)

Likes (Received): 0

I love motorways in France...
Kitty01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #224
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
FFS, most people on this forum don't speak French, and French is not even in the Top 5 of spoken languages world wide, behind Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, and Portuguese. Deal with this reality and be kind enough to provide a frickin translation!

PS: Thanks for ruining the thread with your linguistic hegemonic nonsense.
I suppose your message is directed to Chriszwolle. In other threads people routinely post local infos in local languages when they don't have time to translate, but here people have decided to make a fuss about it. Go figure...
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #225
xote
BANNED

Quote:
I suppose your message is directed to Chriszwolle. In other threads people routinely post local infos in local languages when they don't have time to translate, but here people have decided to make a fuss about it. Go figure...
At least be courteous enough to put a brief translation of the salient features given that most people in the world don't speak French.
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM   #226
brisavoine
BANNED

Given the tone of your message, you can forget about translation. There's Babel Fish translator if you want the salient points. Lástima que hayan personas tan mala onda como tú!
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM   #227
xote
BANNED

Quote:
Given the tone of your message, you can forget about translation. There's Babel Fish translator if you want the salient points. Lástima que hayan personas tan mala onda como tú!
And people wonder why the French have such a reputation for arrogance in the world

You know what, fine, don't provide me a translation.

But be warned, the more Frenchmen delay recognizing that the SOLE international language in English, the more isolated they will become.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:01 PM   #228
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

Alright, let's forget the whole language thing.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:02 PM   #229
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

EDIT: no, I think he's not.

Last edited by Verso; January 31st, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #230
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Deleted my own message that was here: I got irritated by the language discussion and posted a reply, but while brushing my teeth I realized my irritation wouldn't really help anyone, or the discussion...

Back to the topic!

So... how about those French Autoroutes. They're quite something, eh?

(And to all the people in Saskatchewan who have French as a 'language of culture': bonjour!)

Last edited by woutero; February 1st, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #231
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

I also usually complain about people not translating in the non-local forums, but this time I passed - I can understand some French as it's close to Romanian. The article mainly says how great this Autoroute is.

I just noticed - the map also shows French being a "language of culture" in Flanders...

Anyway, I'm very interested about these Autoroutes outside metropolitan (European) France. Are there any autoroutes in French Polynesia, Guyana?
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:25 AM   #232
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I just noticed - the map also shows French being a "language of culture" in Flanders...
If you have a complaint about the map, the map is from the English-speaking Wikipedia, and the caption "language of culture" is theirs, I simply copied and pasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Anyway, I'm very interested about these Autoroutes outside metropolitan (European) France. Are there any autoroutes in French Polynesia, Guyana?
In French Guiana there's no autoroute (autoroute? I thought French was forbidden on this thread...).

In French Polynesia there's a 2+2 motorway around Papeete, but it is not officially listed as an autoroute.
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM   #233
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

To much offtopic discussion and too few photo's in this thread.

Let's put some photo's of my beloved autoroutes:

A10, near Tour:

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:04 AM   #234
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Heading north on A7 in a typical summer day, near Orange.
It has 4 lanes at first because it's near the junction of A7 with A9... It changes back to 3 lanes:

Thís last photo it's a bit of a mistery to me, bacause it was taken 20 minutes after the previous one I showed (close to Montelimar I think) and we can see that the A7 has 4 lanes againg (going back to 3 some meters ahead, as you can see by the signage). Why is there a segment of the A7 with 4 lanes near Montelimar?
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:13 AM   #235
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Maybe a climbing lane?
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:35 AM   #236
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Could be, but climbing lanes are very rare on 2x3 motorways. Usually one only sees climbing lanes in 2x2 motorways, as a 3rd lane.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #237
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

They should widen the motorway to 2x20 lanes to handle the summer peaks, but i think it's possible to have a 4th lane as a climbing lane. Remember this is the busiest tolled motorway in France outside summer times. It is the key link between most of Spain and most of Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #238
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
They should widen the motorway to 2x20 lanes to handle the summer peaks, but i think it's possible to have a 4th lane as a climbing lane.
Yes, it's possible, although adding a 4th lane as a climbing lane it's rare. But maybe that's the case.
I've seen a climbing lane (as a 4th lane) on a 2x3 motorway this summer. It was on the north part of the London M25.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM   #239
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Yes, it's possible, although adding a 4th lane as a climbing lane it's rare. But maybe that's the case.
I've seen a climbing lane (as a 4th lane) on a 2x3 motorway this summer. It was on the north part of the London M25.
Here in Czech rep. we have also a climbing lane on 3+3 motorway stretch...

Here is the proof, it is the old type one, on the right side, with double dashed/solid line...
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM   #240
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Thanks!

I just don't remember seeing climbing lanes on 2x3 motorways in France, but I'm probably wrong.

Tags
france