daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2421
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I don't understand one thing, why are there no reflectory sticks on the side? When I drove on French motorways last year at night it was dark as hell. Markings didn't seem to reflect either. Some people seem to use the highbeam lights too...

I reply to your remark only today, sorry for the delay.
Yes, we are used to drive with highbeams everywhere.
When a vehicle arrive in front of us with highbeam too, one of both vehicles dim light, the other do the same thing.
When a vehicle in front of us arrive without highbeam, the driver uses highbeam for a short time to ask to the other driver to use lower lights.
If the other driver remains with highbeam, do the same thing.
And, with a certain miracle, he drops its lights.

The rule has no value on motorways sometimes where people don't care about vehicles in the opposite direction.
I observe a better use of headlights with more respect in other countries where I drive or drove.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2422
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Thanks for the answer. On normal roads, highbeam lights are normal to use, I do too, only you have to pay attention not to blind cars in front of you.

I was amazed that people used them also on motorways, where you usually can drive safe only with help of good reflected markings, roadside reflected sticks. Thing is I didn't find the markings to good, maybe this is why highbeam was used by some drivers.

I only drove in Alsacia and Lorraine on French motorways, maybe others have better markings. But for the money I had to pay could have been better
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #2423
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I was amazed that people used [high beams] also on motorways, where you usually can drive safe only with help of good reflected markings, roadside reflected sticks. Thing is I didn't find the markings to good, maybe this is why highbeam was used by some drivers.
Low beams work fine on motorways -- until one hits a deer, moose, dog, or person.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2424
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I don't know in France, but in Spain it is mandatory to use your high beams between sunset and dawn if you're driving an insufficiently lit road (no light poles), as long as you don't blind other drivers. That applies to motorways with side reflectors, too. It makes perfect sense, as the combination of low beams and reflectors is short enough not to see any danger within a safe distance.

It may be boring to constantly switch between low and high beam but it is a lot safer.

mcarling liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #2425
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

High beams are highly annoying for other drivers, they're only usable on roads with nobody in front of you (regardless of which direction they drive to). Using high beams with another car going in the same direction in front of you is also annoying.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2426
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Driving in a French motorway at late night you are very likely not to have any driver in front of you.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A63

ex-N10, now A63 near Labouheyre.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Suburbanist, verreme, hofburg liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2428
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

is A63 going to be tolled?
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, some parts of the rebuilt N10 are already tolled.
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2430
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Problem in my department with both new stretches of the A 63 which have tollgates.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2013/07/09/la...10071-5425.php

Newspaper article in french which says that more and more trucks avoid both tollgates between exits 9 and 12 (by D 824 and D 947) and exits 17 and 18 (by D 43 and D 834).
And it's true, I notice that since a few weeks.
I avoid sometimes myself these tolls but I take the small road parallel of the new A63.
I am with a van. Impossible for a truck except for a local delivery.
Before the opening of the toll during the night (between 2 and 4 am), I was absolutely alone on the D 947 (St Paul les Dax to Castets by 16 km, even not a cat !).
Now, it is finished with a truck sometimes.
And it seems that the traffic increases by 55 % on those new alternatives.
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2431
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

A63 is finished? last time i used it the posters says "works until 2014". They were building two toll gates (so when finished its going to be 5 gates before Bordeaux)

Anybody knows if spanish ViaT (like your Liber-T) is going to work in the new gates. I know it works in the three gates in french basque country.
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2432
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

If I understand well now the N10 is A63 isn't? And in Google Maps appears like a motorway tolled in all the itinerary. Why they have done it? To collect more tolls?

Before that this motorway was free between Bayonne and Bourdeaux.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2433
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
If I understand well now the N10 is A63 isn't? And in Google Maps appears like a motorway tolled in all the itinerary. Why they have done it? To collect more tolls?

Before that is wasn't a motorway. They've upgraded it to a motorway and has now been added to the Vinci network. The original A63 between border and N10 has always been a tolled motorway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2434
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

As far as I know, only 30 out of 104 km are completed, the others are still under construction, even if the works are generally advanced. However, the already finished sections correspond to the tolled ones (next to Castets and Saugnac-et-Muret).

The old N10 was, in many ways, similar to a motorway, but it was not fenced (whoever has circulated there 10 years ago can certainly remember that there were carrefours all over the place). Now they're adapting the road to motorway standards and they're also widening it to a 2x3 profile due to high levels of traffic, specially of trucks. The concessionaire is not Vinci Autoroutes but Atlandes, by the way.
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2435
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajch View Post
A63 is finished? last time i used it the posters says "works until 2014". They were building two toll gates (so when finished its going to be 5 gates before Bordeaux)

Anybody knows if spanish ViaT (like your Liber-T) is going to work in the new gates. I know it works in the three gates in french basque country.

No, the A63 is not finished yet but in majority.
But you have to pay if you use it today. Not the final price of course.
And yes, you're right, 5 toll gates up to Bordeaux. More the Irun gate if you come from SS. What a mess !
I don't know if your Spanish ViaT works for both new tollgates.
Ask to the company.
My liberT works in Spain only for the Irun gate ("Ocean" way only, not even ViaT)
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2436
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post

Of course to collect more tolls ! 19.6 % ( 20% next year) directly in the government pocket.
Our previous government decided to give the N10 (around 100 km but Chris Zwolle certainly knows the exact distance) to a private company (to a friend is the good term). They did roadworks and obtained the opening of tollgates before the end of these roadworks.
But we have 3 ways today.
I think Google maps did a mistake. Not all the itinerary is a tolled motorway.There are two tollgates. So, if you want to avoid them, take the exit just before the gate, and take the entrance just after.
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2437
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
As far as I know, only 30 out of 104 km are completed, the others are still under construction, even if the works are generally advanced. However, the already finished sections correspond to the tolled ones (next to Castets and Saugnac-et-Muret).

The old N10 was, in many ways, similar to a motorway, but it was not fenced (whoever has circulated there 10 years ago can certainly remember that there were carrefours all over the place). Now they're adapting the road to motorway standards and they're also widening it to a 2x3 profile due to high levels of traffic, specially of trucks. The concessionaire is not Vinci Autoroutes but Atlandes, by the way.

Yes, and before they built the small road parallel of the old N10 for farmers and local people, we had tractors on the right line, without emergency line, and with crossroads.
I ever saw and overtaken young cyclists on this highway who came back from school in Labouheyre and had to cross the 4 lanes to go home.
And unfortunately, I don't count all accidents I saw. During the 90ies.
This international road was almost surrended by authorities.
But I remember when a portuguese bus collided with a truck which entered on the highway. Authorities told stop at this road.
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2438
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

do they really need 3+3 at that route?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2439
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

yes, what's the main cause for traffic there?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2440
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's a major route between northern Europe and northwestern Spain, Madrid, Portugal and the Costa del Sol. In the N10 days it used to be congested a lot. Same with the original A63. Especially in summer. Also a lot of freight traffic on that route.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france