daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #241
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I-75 just north of Atlanta has them, too.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM   #242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
I-75 just north of Atlanta has them, too.
That road has 5 climbing lanes next to the 3 regular lanes
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM   #243
Zibou

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I also usually complain about people not translating in the non-local forums, but this time I passed - I can understand some French as it's close to Romanian. The article mainly says how great this Autoroute is.

I just noticed - the map also shows French being a "language of culture" in Flanders...

Anyway, I'm very interested about these Autoroutes outside metropolitan (European) France. Are there any autoroutes in French Polynesia, Guyana?
There is an ''autoroute'' in Martinique, numbered A1. It's actually the only autoroute outside the ''métropole''. It has a 110 km/h speed limit.

In Corsica a 10 km stretch of 110 km/h ''voie express'' is currently under construction south of Bastia (http://corsematin.blogspot.com/2007/...vato-aura.html).
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #244
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

I've been several times in France 6 times we drove at the east side of France. Metz,Nancy,Dijon,Lyon. ( 6 times same camping in the alpes ) Last year summer 2007 we went to the west (normandy) I will never forget the huge bridge in Le Havre. I've lost the photo's but I loved it
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #245
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

A model of the bridge that will link France and Brazil was unveiled last Tuesday by French president Sarkozy and Brazilian president Lula at a meeting in the tropical jungle at the Franco-Brazilian border. The bridge over the Oyapock River marking the border between France (French Guiana) and Brazil (State of Amapa) will be the first land crossing ever opened between the two countries.

There were plans to build this bridge as far back as 1997, but the matter stalled. Both presidents have now committed their countries in earnest to building the bridge, which will be 350 meters long and will cost 18 million euros. France will fork out a further 4 million euros to build the customs, wich will be located on the French side of the border, and 14.5 million euros to build the 5 km-long road between the bridge and the French town of Saint-Georges de l'Oyapock where it will merge with the road to Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana.

Now that France is serious about the project (after 10 years of stalling talks), things should go quickly. The bridge is expected to open to traffic in 2010. The sudden interest of French authorities in building this long awaited bridge is part of France's renewed interest in South America. French authorities want to expand French influence in South America by using French Guiana as a springboard. A brand new university is currently under construction in Cayenne, see: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=484997&page=2
The goal of authorities is to attract students from all across South America. A cooperation agreement was also signed with Brazil at the meeting between Lula and Sarkozy.

French Guiana currently has 210,000 inhabitants but its booming population is forecasted to reach between 450,000 and 600,000 in 2030. The Cayenne urban area currently has 100,000 inhabitants and should rise to reach 250,000 by 2030. French Guiana, with its unique and for the most part preserved jungle, its European Space Centre in Kourou, and its potential oil ressources offshore, has the greatest potential of all the French deparments.

Location of the bridge. Brazil to the left, France to the right:

Model of the bridge unveiled last Tuesday:

When the bridge opens, it will be possible to drive uninterrupted from Cayenne to Macapa, the capital of the state of Amapa (fully paved road on the French side, partly paved road on the Brazilian side). No autoroute/motorway is planned at this stage due to the still sparse population of the region.

For those who would like to find out more, here's a special dossier in L'Express detailing 10 challenges ahead for French Guiana (in a nutshel, booming population and lots of potential, but problems due to illegal immigration, pollution of the rivers due to illegal Brazilian gold diggers, and need to accomodate all the new and young population):
http://www.lexpress.fr/info/region/d...asp?ida=463310
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #246
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Forum member Vyncke of the dutch highway forum has made a great overview of most planned french autoroutes together with official maps. He also uses the michelin maps to draw the planned autoroutes.
The full overview can be found here (in dutch)

Lyon area:

Planned A44, western beltway Lyon

Planned A45, Lyon-St. Etienne and new beltway St. Etienne

Planned A432, north of Lyon:

Last edited by CborG; February 15th, 2008 at 05:17 AM.
CborG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #247
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

A88, Caen-Sees:

Credits to Vyncke
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #248
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post
I've been several times in France 6 times we drove at the east side of France. Metz,Nancy,Dijon,Lyon. ( 6 times same camping in the alpes ) Last year summer 2007 we went to the west (normandy) I will never forget the huge bridge in Le Havre. I've lost the photo's but I loved it
I'm not sure, but I think you are talking about the "pont de Normandie"

pont de normandie

or maybe it was the "pont de tancarville ?

caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM   #249
caserass
Normandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
FFS, most people on this forum don't speak French, and French is not even in the Top 5 of spoken languages world wide, behind Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, and Portuguese. Deal with this reality and be kind enough to provide a frickin translation!
Mandarin is spoken...... where ? in China.... and That's it.
Hindi ? It is even not a language, Hindi is not spoken everywhere in Inda, actually Hindy is a dialect spoken by a population between 250 millions and 400 millions of people, so you know... excepted if you are an expert, and if you are able to bring the real figures you shouldn't speak about that.
As for Portugese, it's spoken by Portugal, Brazil, and Angola, and ..... that's it. So it's actually spoken by about 170 millions of people all around the world thanks to Brazil. It means it is less spoken by the french language. Sorry keep your facts straight.
Which is also funny it is the fact you take the numbers you like. First the natives and then the number of people able to speak the language (ie : "recognizing that the SOLE international language in English") So it means according to you, english is not the sole international language, since english is not the language the most spoken in the world.... But finally, english is the sole international language. You know what, you have to make a choice or what you say doesn't make sens.

Quote:
PS: Thanks for ruining the thread with your linguistic hegemonic nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
And people wonder why the French have such a reputation for arrogance in the world
Quote:
You know what, fine, don't provide me a translation.
Quote:
But be warned, the more Frenchmen delay recognizing that the SOLE international language in English, the more isolated they will become.

A very impressive view of the "Viaduc de Millau"

A ride

by helicopter

I Love this place
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM   #250
caserass
Normandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post

Credits to Vyncke
I heard there was a project to make roads 2X2 between St Lo and Coutances and Coutances and Granville. The same between Granville and Avranches.

Old February 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #251
brisavoine
BANNED

For those who like pictures, I managed to find rare pictures of the only motorway/freeway in Tahiti, in the urban area of Papeete. The urban area of Papeete has 131,695 inhabitants as of the 2007 census.

In the center of the urban area the motorway becomes an urban boulevard:

In downtown Papeete the motorway stops completely, thus creating frequent traffic jams:

The French LOVE rond-points (roundabouts). Notice the car to the left with a licence plate from the Loiret département (45) in Metropolitan France, 15,000 km from Papeete!

Leaving the downtown area the motorway reappears:

In the rest of Tahiti, roads look like this:

Last edited by brisavoine; February 29th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #252
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

it is so funny to see all those European cars so far from Europe!
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #253
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

This motorway/dual carriageway needs widening and this city needs new bypass or something
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM   #254
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it is so funny to see all those European cars so far from Europe!
European car producers are world producers, and European cars can be found everywhere in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
This motorway/dual carriageway needs widening and this city needs new bypass or something
I think there have long been talks to create a freeway bypassing downtown Papeete, but it is very complicated as you can see on the ordnance map below. In Tahiti the coastal plain is very narrow, and the urban area of Papeete is squeezed between the coast and very high mountains. I drew a blue line showing where the freeway would have to go to avoid built-up areas (just my simulation, not an official government plan). As you can see it would need lots of viaducts and tunnels, a bit like the motorway above Monaco on the French Riviera.

Needless to say, the local municipalities don't have the money for that, and even the territorial government of French Polynesia would find it difficult to finance it alone, they would need money from the French State. The problem is French Polynesia has been in constant political turmoil for the past three years, with senior politicans vying for power and toppling each other in turn, so they've spent more time fighting with each other than planning infrastructures for the future of Tahiti.

And now the last shenanigan was last week when the corrupt Gaston Flosse who was defeated in the February elections was nonetheless elected head of the government by the French Polynesian assembly with the help of the pro-independence leader Oscar Temaru to prevent Gaston Tong Sang who had won the elections from becoming head of the government. This is really nasty and shameful politics at its best, completely ignoring the votes of French Polynesians who placed Gaston Tong Sang first, so it means there will be more fights and political turmoil in the near future (I can't see the anti-independence Flosse and the pro-independence Temaru staying allies for long). Furthermore it has alienated the French State which will probably be reluctant to finance any large infrastructure in Tahiti as long as the political confusion continues.

Old April 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #255
Draminoss

I visit last Month France, and i will tell you only that you have the best asphalt how i know. I visit a lot countries all over the world but i never find Motorways with a quality asphalt like the french. Realy!! Great ++++
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #256
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
Forum member Vyncke of the dutch highway forum has made a great overview of most planned french autoroutes together with official maps. He also uses the michelin maps to draw the planned autoroutes.
The full overview can be found here (in dutch)

Lyon area:

A45 and COL are nonsenses.
Only A89, A48 and maybe A432 are usefull.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #257
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A45 is to replace the substandard A47 to St Étienne.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #258
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
The A45 is to replace the substandard A47 to St Étienne.
A47 can be upgraded between St Etienne and Rive de Giers. Of course, it's more difficult between Rive de Giers and Givors.
Of course, there are a lot of commuters between St Etienne and Lyon but it would be more usefull to add a track on the railway than to build this f...A45.
Why should we build a motorway in a natural area to avoid cities like Rive de Giers or Givors ?
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #259
Zibou

The A65 Langon-Pau motorway has been put on hold last week after ecologists raised concerns about the protection measures to an endangered species... This highway consists of about 150 km of dual carriageway running in a quite empty land, aiming at linking the Pau area directly with Bordeaux via Langon, for a cost of 1.2 billion euros, all paid by Alienor, the concessionary.
Work had just started on the highway, whose completion is due for 2010. Hopefully or not.
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #260
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some guy from the Dutch autosnelwegen forum made pics of the entire A75 a while ago. Check them out here

In my opinion, the A75 is the most spectacular motorway in France. It's also the highest.

Preview:

First sign of Barcelona, yay!

Tags
france