daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2581
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redouane View Post
A63:
The Bilbao destination is new? It is the first time I saw it signposted on the A63

Moravian liked this post
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2582
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
I once drove from Spain to Belgium using the A75 instead of the Lyon route. The Clermont Ferrand route is only shorter on paper. In reality it's longer (in travel time) and more exhausting because of the curves and slopes, some sections are limited to only 90 or even 70. Unlike the A7 which is mostly very straight and has 2x3 lanes and has more frequent and larger rest areas. So you get more value for your toll money.

In term of costs in my experience there was no significant advantage in using the A75. Over long distances there is not a big difference in cost/km when passing north-south through France for both routes. Plus you get to refuel a bit cheaper in Luxembourg if you use the Lyon route.

The only advantage i can think of for using the A75 is the more scenic landscapes (at least if you drive through it by day), and it can serve as an alternative if there are traffic jams on the A9/A7.
Well, for being a free motorway and much less used than the A7-A9 route is not that bad. Actually the only complicated stretch I remember is the area around St-Félix-del-l'Hélas... the rest is relatively gentle, not as gentle as running along the Rhône valley, but it is fair.
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #2583
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
I once drove from Spain to Belgium using the A75 instead of the Lyon route. The Clermont Ferrand route is only shorter on paper. In reality it's longer (in travel time) and more exhausting because of the curves and slopes, some sections are limited to only 90 or even 70. Unlike the A7 which is mostly very straight and has 2x3 lanes and has more frequent and larger rest areas. So you get more value for your toll money.

The only advantage i can think of for using the A75 is the more scenic landscapes (at least if you drive through it by day), and it can serve as an alternative if there are traffic jams on the A9/A7.
I drove several times on both motorways and it's hard to say than one it's a better option than the other...

A-75 has some very low speed limits at some parts and the driving it's a bit more complicated (or entertaining -depending on the mood you are-). BUT it doesn't go through any major city which it's the main problem of A9-A7, that forces you to suffer eventual traffic jams at Montpellier, Nimes and (the main problem): Lyon.
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2584
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

A75 is better if you are in a car. Now if you are driving some loaded cargo van or a truck, then maybe A7/A9 is better
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2585
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Noone has mentioned A20 so far, and it's a pretty good route, too. Most of it is pretty new and smooth, and very quiet, too.
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2586
Reivajar

Well, that's true the A20 is OK too... I've taken sometime for moving from Paris to the Basque Country to avoid the A10 through Limoges, N141, Angoulême and N10 to Bordeaux... not that bad, and much calmer than the A10 for sure. I find kind of boring the A10 between Bordeaux and Poitiers.

There is a thing I don't like about the A20 though: it is toll-free in the flatest part, and it becomes tolled in the most abrupted part...

However for going from Paris to the Mediterranean coast is not that good except if you wanna have a fun time crossing the Pyrenees.
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #2587
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A75 is better if you are in a car. Now if you are driving some loaded cargo van or a truck, then maybe A7/A9 is better
I have always used A75, even in a loaded van. There's a slow bendy and steep bit, but the rest of the road is fine. It's quiet and free.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2588
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Of course, for all of us, it depends of our starting point.
And the place where we go.
I used once or two the A75 all the long between Clermont -Fd and A 9 around Montpellier.
But the Millau viaduct was not built at this time. Very curvy, mountainous but very quiet.
It's not my route usually when I go to the center or eastern France.
A9 is perfect all the while except during rush hours and holidays.
It depnds of your budget for holidays or for your job.

But, somebody has already took the A 89 between Clermont -Fd and Bordeaux ?
There are more rabbits than vehicles.
I don't know the AADT but certainly very low.

Road_UK liked this post
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2589
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
But, somebody has already took the A 89 between Clermont -Fd and Bordeaux ?
There are more rabbits than vehicles.
I don't know the AADT but certainly very low.
Mostly 6 000 - 9 000 vehicles per day. Although it links two large cities, they are far apart and tolls on the A89 are too high. Bordeaux - Clermont-Ferrand costs € 33,40, probably more than what the average driver spends on fuel on that trip... :/
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2590
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Well, that's true the A20 is OK too... I've taken sometime for moving from Paris to the Basque Country to avoid the A10 through Limoges, N141, Angoulême and N10 to Bordeaux... not that bad, and much calmer than the A10 for sure. I find kind of boring the A10 between Bordeaux and Poitiers.

There is a thing I don't like about the A20 though: it is toll-free in the flatest part, and it becomes tolled in the most abrupted part...

However for going from Paris to the Mediterranean coast is not that good except if you wanna have a fun time crossing the Pyrenees.
It's my route when I go to Paris (Bordeaux, N10 (Angoulême), A 20, A10 or N 20 north of Orleans).
Better than the entire A10. And cheaper.
But you can choose an other alternative (Bordeaux , N10 up to Poitiers, A 10 up to Tours, N 10 to Paris).
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2591
Reivajar

It depends on your origin and destination, but personally, when driving east-west in central France I prefer to drive along the Route Centre-Europe Atlantique. Really calm, maybe not a full expressway but fine for me.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2592
Reivajar

Quote:
It's my route when I go to Paris (Bordeaux, N10 (Angoulême), A 20, A10 or N 20 north of Orleans).
Better than the entire A10. And cheaper.
But you can choose an other alternative (Bordeaux , N10 up to Poitiers, A 10 up to Tours, N 10 to Paris).
Yes, that's right... usually I change the route among several paths between the N20 and the N10 for not getting bored. Even once I drove along the old national road between Orléans and Tours... what a pain!
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2593
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mostly 6 000 - 9 000 vehicles per day. Although it links two large cities, they are far apart and tolls on the A89 are too high. Bordeaux - Clermont-Ferrand costs € 33,40, probably more than what the average driver spends on fuel on that trip... :/
Faster than lightning Chris !
You're right, tolls are very expensive but this highway is very practical.
The old parallel national was a nightmare before.
But at the junction with the A20, I normally take the national road to Clermont Fd, because of the toll price, the quietness of this part and the better quality of the road. Before, there are too many villages to cross,and bad quality of the road.
I'm sure the new A65 between Langon and Pau (in the SW) has less vehicles. Because the old road is perfect (except in the south) and the traffic is low generally.
Do you have the AADT ?
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2594
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
It depends on your origin and destination, but personally, when driving east-west in central France I prefer to drive along the Route Centre-Europe Atlantique. Really calm, maybe not a full expressway but fine for me.
You are with a truck ?
I know the RCEA . I use it once to go to Lyon. Not necessary for me.
But when you go to the East and North-east, yes, it's the good solution.
We're waiting for a 2x2 since a long time all the way. But it's not for tomorrow.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2595
Reivajar

No... I am not a truck driver... hehehe

Why, it is used by lots of trucks? Usually I've driven along that route during the evening and late evening or early in the morning and I haven't seen lots of heavy traffic.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2596
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
Yes, that's right... usually I change the route among several paths between the N20 and the N10 for not getting bored. Even once I drove along the old national road between Orléans and Tours... what a pain!
Between Orleans and Tours ?!
Yes, to visit castles along the Loire river.
Not for me. On this stretch, I prefer the toll highway. Even if I have to pay it.
Same thing between Tours and Poitiers.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
I'm sure the new A65 between Langon and Pau (in the SW) has less vehicles. Because the old road is perfect (except in the south) and the traffic is low generally.
Do you have the AADT ?
It had 5 600 vehicles per day in the first year of operation, but I don't know if this is a segment volume, or the total amount of transactions for the entire route (if it is the latter, you can't directly compare it to regular traffic counts).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2598
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It doesn't help that Chirac was from Brieve: a route via Angolmene and Limoges between Bordeaux and Clermont Ferrard would have picked up more traffic (and as partially built, would have been cheaper for both Government and users).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2599
Reivajar

Quote:
Between Orleans and Tours ?!
Yes, to visit castles along the Loire river.
Not for me. On this stretch, I prefer the toll highway. Even if I have to pay it.
Same thing between Tours and Poitiers.
Even I remember that crossing Tours without motorway was horrible...

Well, at the end it depends on the time your have and how much fun you wanna have
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2600
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Quote:
No... I am not a truck driver... hehehe

Why, it is used by lots of trucks? Usually I've driven along that route during the evening and late evening or early in the morning and I haven't seen lots of heavy traffic.
It's the road of trucks !
A very dangerous road because cars overtake everywhere when they are impatient. And many drivers in all vehicles fall asleep.
There are plenty of radars and police checks today.
Trucks take this road between Portugal, western Spain to go to Eastern europe, Germany,.....

Tags
france