daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM   #261
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Pretty substandard design in the beginning (especially countryside is quite flat). And even elsewhere (except around Millau) hard shoulders seem to be narrower than 2 m. Reminds me of some old Italian motorways (asphalt is much better, of course)

Otherwise very nice scenery.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #262
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

great photos! i had no idea that it passes over 1100 m over sea level!! and surroundng doesn't look as 1000 m high at all, rather it looks as 200 m

btw, is the treffic allways so dense there, or it was only in high turistic season?
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM   #263
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
great photos! i had no idea that it passes over 1100 m over sea level!! and surroundng doesn't look as 1000 m high at all, rather it looks as 200 m

btw, is the treffic allways so dense there, or it was only in high turistic season?
IIRC, that is the major route from central France (especially metro Paris) and the southern part of the Mediterranean coast. I can't even begin to imagine what life was like in Millau before that bypass was completed. That city is at the bottom of that deep valley and the 'old' main highway followed torturous two-lane routings down and up on both sides.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM   #264
x-type
con los terroristas

i allways thought that Paris - Lyon - Avignon carries at least 75% of all traffic from Paris to south, doesn't matter southeast or southwest
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:58 AM   #265
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
FFS, most people on this forum don't speak French, and French is not even in the Top 5 of spoken languages world wide, behind Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, and Portuguese. Deal with this reality and be kind enough to provide a frickin translation!

PS: Thanks for ruining the thread with your linguistic hegemonic nonsense.
I just finished reading a very long thread in the Latin American Transportation forum talking about Argentina's first HSR. Since the French company Alstom will be making the high-speed trains, the author of the thread decided to post some articles from news in France in French to show what France had to say about it. Most readers were Spanish-speakers. Nobody complained in the long coarse of the thread. If someone didn't understand, they just skipped it. So what is the deal about the article that was posted in French. Big deal! I'm a firm believer that you are worth 2 people if you speak 2 languages...3 if you speak 3, etc. If you can't understand it, too bad. If someone translates, then good. But nobody has to translate nothing and not EVERYTHING can be translated here.

And considering how many people live in poverty in Brazil, you can remove Portuguese from your list of top 5 readers because many people don't have access to the internet there. Yet many people all over the world learn French as a second language in Europe and America. The same is not the case for Portuguese, which many schools in both continents don't offer. Same for Hindi...a huge number of those readers don't have internet access and the number of people who learn Hindi outside India in a functional way are how many? Now Mandarin and Spanish...that you can brag about.

Back to French Autoroutes
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #266
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Moderators need to be able to check to the content of the articles. Kinda hard when everybody quotes articles in their own language... Of course, on the national subforums it doesn't matter, but in this section everybody comes from everywhere and speaks different languages.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM   #267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Please cut it out, and talk about French motorways here
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #268
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've already driven on French motorways a few times in my life by car, but only a few days ago I realized how slowly the French drive on (French) motorways. I only drove 130-140 km/h (speed limit 130 km/h) and NO ONE overtook me for 200 km!

Last edited by Verso; May 7th, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some say, the French come to a rest on the Autoroute. However, on the other roads, they tend to drive quite fast.

It is allowed to drive 130km/h with a trailer (not trucks) in France. Sometimes you see such an idiot driving 130 with his caravan.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #270
Verso
Islander

Yes, you do.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #271
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've already driven on French motorways a few times in my life by car, but only a few days ago I realized how slowly the French drive on (French) motorways. I only drove 130-140 km/h (speed limit 130 km/h) and NO ONE overtook me for 200 km!

130 is good. Actually, excepted some countries such as Germany and Venezuela where there is not a speed limit the other countries in the world don't let their drivers go faster than 130.

Wiki speed limit
caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #272
Verso
Islander

^ Ok, but in very few countries (at least European) you'll encounter being the fastest one with 130-140 km/h for 200 km. Not even in Switzerland.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:50 AM   #273
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
I just finished reading a very long thread in the Latin American Transportation forum talking about Argentina's first HSR. Since the French company Alstom will be making the high-speed trains, the author of the thread decided to post some articles from news in France in French to show what France had to say about it. Most readers were Spanish-speakers. Nobody complained in the long coarse of the thread. If someone didn't understand, they just skipped it. So what is the deal about the article that was posted in French. Big deal! I'm a firm believer that you are worth 2 people if you speak 2 languages...3 if you speak 3, etc. If you can't understand it, too bad. If someone translates, then good. But nobody has to translate nothing and not EVERYTHING can be translated here.

And considering how many people live in poverty in Brazil, you can remove Portuguese from your list of top 5 readers because many people don't have access to the internet there. Yet many people all over the world learn French as a second language in Europe and America. The same is not the case for Portuguese, which many schools in both continents don't offer. Same for Hindi...a huge number of those readers don't have internet access and the number of people who learn Hindi outside India in a functional way are how many? Now Mandarin and Spanish...that you can brag about.

Back to French Autoroutes
Xote is at it again ???

edubejar .. some SSC info:

Forum Gratte-ciel Francophone = 4,139 topics and 122,239 posts (assumedly in french)

Spanish language foruns =
Latinscrapers = 46,974 1,857,333
MXScrapers - Rascacielos de México = 9,312 380,500
Foro de Rascacielos Españoles = 15,610 1,355,559

Portuguese language foruns =
Foruns Brasileiros = 37,398 998,807
Fórum Português = 6,807 408,313

Add the italians:

Forum Italiano = 5,999 464,141

Now you (both you and xote) havea great problem here ...

count the posts above and you have roughly 1/3 of ALL of SSC posts writen in a language that peopel from those countries above can READ without needing to go to school (long live old latin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Moderators need to be able to check to the content of the articles. Kinda hard when everybody quotes articles in their own language... Of course, on the national subforums it doesn't matter, but in this section everybody comes from everywhere and speaks different languages.
Articles in the national language of the country of origin of the topic under discussion should be exempted from that kind of ruling.

French topic so articles related to the topic writen in french should be alowed ... and someone should volunteer to translate to "international alnguage" (a.k.a. english).
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #274
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post

French topic so articles related to the topic writen in french should be alowed ... and someone should volunteer to translate to "international alnguage" (a.k.a. english).
So you expect me to know all languages? My opinion is, if someone finds it necessary to post a French/Dutch/Bulgarian/Swahili newspost, they also provide a (short) translation.

So, that's it with the language discussion so far.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM   #275
Farnese
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
200km on the autoroute ?

Your attitude is despicable and you're lucky the cops didn't arrest you and took your licence away.
Farnese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM   #276
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnese View Post
200km on the autoroute ?

Your attitude is despicable and you're lucky the cops didn't arrest you and took your licence away.
Are you talking about 200 km/h? Cause I'm talking about 200 km - distance, not speed. As you can read, I drove 130-140 km/h.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #277
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10266

By the way, does anyone have an update about the A7 widening to 2x5 lanes?
The traffic should bump to 130000 AADT by 2020 if the growth rate is sustained at the current level.
Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #278
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

I read something about a proposed new motorway called the A79 that would start at the A43/A432 interchange and then go side by side with the A7 some 20-30 kms to the east bypassing Valence on the east side before turning southwest and head straight for Narbonne.

However, there is quite a difference in price. uch a new motorway would cost somewhere about €3 billion, while a widening of the A7 would "only" cost €890 million.

If the A7 was to be widened all the way from Lyon to Orange that would surely be the world's longest 2x5 motorway, right?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those are vague plans, and i don't think the A79 will ever be executed.

However, you might be right about the longest 2x5 section, however, i read somewhere the entire I-5 from San Diego to LA will be widened to 2x5 lanes, which is about 200 kilometers.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #280
x-type
con los terroristas

the priority should be Lyon bypass, or extend A432, or make new western bypass

Tags
france