daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2801
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

A43 Modane - Chambéry

A video of A43 in the French Alps, from Modane (near the Fréjus Tunnel) to near Chambéry. A very nice autoroute.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Road_UK, Bren, Luki_SL, Suburbanist, verreme and 2 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2802
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's my favourite. I drove it twice a week for a long long time. (Calais-Reims-Troyes-Dijon-Mont Blanc-Italy)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM   #2803
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some photos of the southernmost leg of A51, from Aix-en-Provence to Marseille. This part features some antique signage. These exits are not announced beforehand, it's just one sign at the exit.

A51-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
This section opened in 1953 as a stub of Marseille's "Autoroute Nord" (currently A7). It's one of the oldest motorways of France.

I made a video of it some time ago:

Honestly speaking, one of the worst motorway drives in France . Good that you drove A43 to leave a good taste in your mouth.

hofburg liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #2804
Minato ku

Quote:
Some photos of the southernmost leg of A51, from Aix-en-Provence to Marseille. This part features some antique signage. These exits are not announced beforehand, it's just one sign at the exit.

A51-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

A51-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
There are also plenty of old signages like that on the A6/A7 in Lyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
maybe they could widen the peripherique then
With the current left and green municipal government, impossible !!! They would rather propose to build parks and to transform the Peripherique into a "civilized boulevard" with bicycle paths.

With a real Greater Paris autority controled by the right, maybe.
Currently, the right-wing has the control of most suburbs, they would have the power with a Greater Paris.

GROBIN liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:00 AM   #2805
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Paris is sadly dismantling several urban expressways, like the Voie Expresse on the river...

GROBIN liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #2806
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Paris is sadly dismantling several urban expressways, like the Voie Expresse on the river...
In France, we've got a huge load of great theorists that do completely absurd things.
When other European countries increase speed limits on motorways, we want to decrease them.
When other countries decided to have white lights for their cars, we decided to have yellow.
When other countries decided it would be good to have a 3rd stop (brake) light in your car, we decided to forbid it.
When other European countries do a huge work in widening their motorways, even around major cities (Germany, the Netherlands), France lives in the illusion that paralyzing the whole traffic will bring people more people to public transportation - and thus motorway project like the A15 Gennevilliers - Paris ring or A104 around Conflans-Sainte-Honorine or Achères are stopped.

Sadly, no equilibrium between public & private transportation will exist until:
1) There won't be a system similar to what I saw in Warsaw: park & ride - free parkings around train stations as long as you have a valid public transportation ticket. Unfortunately, most car parks around train/RER stations that used to be free of charge 2-5 years ago not only become paid, but very expensive.
2) The public transportation between towns in the suburbs of Paris will be so bad. For instance, between Conflans-Sainte-Honorine and Poissy you waste almost an hour (around 15-20 minutes by car)
3) Most economic centers will be in Paris or close suburbs (La Défense, Saint-Denis/Aubervilliers, Gennevilliers). This process has failed for the moment, as economic areas in the further suburbs (Cergy-Pontoise, Marne-La-Vallée) haven't managed to take so much.
IMHO, the best would be to decentralize the economy like in Germany. Nowadays, the Île-de-France region has got almost 20% of the whole country's population. Even worse! Almost 90% of its population lives on 25% of its surface!

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Road_UK, hofburg, mcarling, Blackraven liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #2807
Road_UK
BANNED

Glad to hear an analysis from someone who is from there and knows the area for a change. Thumbs up!

GROBIN liked this post
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #2808
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
In France, we've got a huge load of great theorists that do completely absurd things.
Mais, c'est ca la France! Si tu veux de la logique, partez pour l'Allemagne ou les States Les Shadoks et les gibis

GROBIN liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #2809
Suburbanist
on the road

Apparently there was a time in the 1990s when France lowered speed limit to 110, then raised it back, right?
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #2810
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Apparently there was a time in the 1990s when France lowered speed limit to 110, then raised it back, right?
I heard about such a thing, but it was much earlier.
Until the 70's oil crisis, French motorways had no speed limit. Then they introduced 140km/h in order to decrease fuel consumption.
Next, they lowered the speed limits to 110km/h (if I remember well what my father told me once) and they increased it to 130km/h. But I believe it was more in the 80s. I don't know if on this forum there are any older compatriots that can give more exact data about that because I spent most of the 80s and part of the 90s out of Europe ...

EDIT: I found this very interesting website to answer your question:
- 1973: Expressways 110km/h, Motorways 120km/h
- 1974 (March): Expressways 115Km/h, Motorways 140km/h
- 1974 (November): Expressways 110km/h, Motorways 130km/h (like now)
- 1982: Additional measure with lower limits on wet conditions: Expressways 100km/h, Motorways 110km/h. This measure also exists in Luxembourg. However, at that time speed limits were seen like advisory by people and nobody respected them - which is why they took this measure. Nowadays, I find it completetly inadapted when you've got so many speed traps in France and it only confuses people who mostly already tend to drive 110-120km/h where the speed limit is 130km/h...

I'll have to send this to my father

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Road_UK liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; September 25th, 2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Found data!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #2811
verreme

We also had these fluctuations in Spain: we started with 110 and 130 in motorways, then 100 everywhere, then 90/100 and 120 -all within 15 years.

Rain speed limits look still advisory for most people. I don't think speed cameras lower their threshold when it rains.
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #2812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Lyon - Orange

A timelapse video of the most notorious stretch of summer holiday motorway in Europe, the A7 through the Rhône River Valley between Lyon and Orange. It is the only motorway in Europe that has 100+ kilometer traffic jams regularly. But it was smooth sailing when I filmed it.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, verreme, Bren liked this post
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #2813
Suburbanist
on the road

ChrisZwolle, which service have you used to get a LiberT tag? Did you order directly from them or used some tag rental service?
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I got them through the Dutch motorist association ANWB, but the contract is with AREA.
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2815
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
It is the only motorway in Europe that has 100+ kilometer traffic jams regularly. ]
Not regulary at all, only in peak periods on Black Saturday's in summer.
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2816
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These super long traffic jams on A7 occur consistently several times every summer, therefor regularly. Other 100+ kilometer traffic jams occur very rarely and incidentally, not on a regular basis.
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2817
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
These super long traffic jams on A7 occur consistently several times every summer, therefor regularly. Other 100+ kilometer traffic jams occur very rarely and incidentally, not on a regular basis.
What about traffic jams on A8 in Germany?
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #2818
Road_UK
BANNED

In winter regulary between Munich and Salzburg/Innsbruck. Between Munich and Stuttgart regulary all year round mainly due to road works.
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #2819
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, so regularly in summer only.
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #2820
verreme

Quote:
A timelapse video of the most notorious stretch of summer holiday motorway in Europe, the A7 through the Rhône River Valley between Lyon and Orange. It is the only motorway in Europe that has 100+ kilometer traffic jams regularly. But it was smooth sailing when I filmed it.
A pain in summer, and also when there's light traffic, because it doesn't get much more boring than this. I drove all of A7 at late night this Spring and I've never wanted to kill myself so badly. 130 feels like being on a conveyor belt. I wish they let you drive a little faster, just 150 would be ideal. But talking about raising speed limits in France is like approving pedophilia -they will look at you like a heartless monster.

Kanadzie, GROBIN liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france