daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #2961
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

I'm not sure how much traffic wants to go as directly as possible Lyons < > Bordeaux TBH.

I'd say priorities in France are around Marseilles, Lyons and most especially Paris where the A104 ( and the rest of the rings) is congested to hell as well as incomplete... and in the Provence - Italy area including a proper motorway connection from Geneva/Grenoble to the coast somewhere around Toulon or Nice.

The rest of the French motorway network is very high quality and there are no missing sections. I only hate driving in and near Paris me.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #2962
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The major missing link on French network is a highway between Tolouse and Lyon.
Obviously the Massive Centrale (sic) gets in the way a bit.

I'm really surprised that it isn't an E road - France planned ahead and gave lots of routes that would be upgraded E numbers, including things like Niort-La Rochelle that hasn't happened yet, but didn't link two of it's biggest cities with an E road.

It's also (OK this map has autoroute as well) the most blatant gap in the E road network in France with such a long way between roughly east-west routes.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #2963
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
- A16 and A25 - is lack of larger rest stations. And the E40 section from Calais to Belgium is an important international route. .
There is a reason for this:

Traffic heading from Calais to Belgium are most likely to fill up in Belgium anyway. It's only 20 minutes over the road, and there are two major service areas close after each other (Texaco and Total). On the border itself we've got the town of Adinkerke which is a favourite stopover for lorries filling up cheap and the purchase possibilities of large quantities of tobacco. Lorry parking with facilities are widely available off the A16 in Calais, Marck and Dunkerque.

Travelling from Belgium towards Calais it's a different story. There is one BP petrol station on the A16 going southbound and a number of lay-by's along the route which are actually closed. It's a safety issue: the number of wannabe immigrants hanging around on these lay-by's trying to hide inside or even under lorries in order to try and get into the UK illegally has proven to be a bit too much of a nuisance to keep these area's operational. And even though it's a very import route for international traffic, this particular stretch of the A16 is still mostly used by local French commuters.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #2964
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

French motorway operator VINCI doing their bit to pay tribute to the victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre:

They are all activated between 12 noon and 1pm.

Moravian, Alqaszar, Kanadzie, Kr_Rance, Vladk0 and 1 others liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #2965
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is a reason for this:

Traffic heading from Calais to Belgium are most likely to fill up in Belgium anyway. It's only 20 minutes over the road, and there are two major service areas close after each other (Texaco and Total). On the border itself we've got the town of Adinkerke which is a favourite stopover for lorries filling up cheap and the purchase possibilities of large quantities of tobacco. Lorry parking with facilities are widely available off the A16 in Calais, Marck and Dunkerque.

Travelling from Belgium towards Calais it's a different story. There is one BP petrol station on the A16 going southbo und and a number of lay-by's along the route which are actually closed. It's a safety issue: the number of wannabe immigrants hanging around on these lay-by's trying to hide inside or even under lorries in order to try and get into the UK illegally has proven to be a bit too much of a nuisance to keep these area's operational. And even though it's a very import route for international traffic, this particular stretch of the A16 is still mostly used by local French commuters.
Well, you are right. Immigrants to UK are the issue. Regarding the motorway section from last petrol station in Belgium on A18.be. Anyway, the smaller parking place directly at the border on French side is usually overcrowded by lorries. Is the gap concerning petrol prices long-term and significant? I did not think that the missing infrastructure on 60kms of A16 +A25 is any crutial point, but it is remarkable characteristic. A16 there is quite fine, only the felling is that the track is a bit narrow with concrete barriers on the sides. With large lorries traffic....Yes, there is only one smaller BP petrol station in Dunkerque and Total at the gateway from Eurotunnel in Calais. Thanks for info about Adinkerke. I do not know it that it is so worthy leaving the motorway and make a stop here.......For truckers.....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #2966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A719 Gannat - Vichy

The A719 extension from Gannat to Vichy was inaugurated yesterday. It will open to traffic on 12 January around midday. It is a 14 kilometer four-lane toll road. It includes a new toll plaza near Vichy with 3 toll gates for cash/cards and 1 toll gate for télépéage each way.

The construction cost was € 100 million (€ 7.1 million per kilometer). It is operated by APRR (Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhône). The toll on the new stretch is € 1 for passenger cars and € 3.30 for trucks. This is relatively low compared to some other recent autoroutes (€ 0.07 per km).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Moravian, Bren, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #2967
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Last week went to Baiona (Bayonne) from San Sebastian and I drove on A-63. I know works are to improve motorway to three lanes per direction but with the traffic and with thousand of trucks I felt some fear. Lanes are very narrow, I passed the car on some centimeters of distance of the trucks. And now in winter at 6 o'clock is dark.

I read in signals that works will last until 2017. (Widening of third lane from Handaye -spanish frontier- to Bayonne)
Right, but you easily overtake a truck with a car.
I do that with my van (merco sprinter) without any problem since roadworks began 4-5 years ago between Biarritz and Bordeaux.
But I recognize this is not easy when it's raining or during the night.
I broke my left mirror after the Biarritz tollgate when I overtake a truck during roadworks to build the third lane two years ago.
A roadsign was leaning on my lane, I have not been able to avoid it. It was the evening.
It cost me around 130 € !
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #2968
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

French lanes, even during roadworks, are fine. I've never had any issue when overtaking trucks in reduced-width lanes in France, whilst in Germany I didn't dare to fit my Renault Laguna (a car with particularly wide mirrors) between a truck and a temporary barrier.

GROBIN liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #2969
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I know that in Czech Republic you can't overtake trucks in reduced-width lanes ,because it's too narrow.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #2970
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

[F] D914 - Port-Vendres - Argelès-sur-Mer (D618)

Nice video by verreme
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #2971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A150 Barentin - Yvetot

The A150 between Barentin and Yvetot (northwest of Rouen) will open on 29 January.

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/detail...-le-29-janvier

It will be a quite expensive toll road at € 3.20 for 18 km (€ 0.18 per km)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2972
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

That is expensive, but if you look at it as finishing the Rouen-Le Havre autoroute connection (forgetting about the existing one that involves crossing the Seine twice and paying a bridge toll)....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #2973
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Taking A151 + A29 is actually cheaper in tolls than taking direct route A150

The toll on A29 is only € 1.30
Old January 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #2974
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

So you're paying extra for the convenience of a shorter route.

Basically, France is just a country of M6Tolls, it seems.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

GROBIN liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #2975
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Short Autoroute Compilation

by Verreme

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #2976
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A150 between Barentin and Yvetot (northwest of Rouen) will open on 29 January.

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/detail...-le-29-janvier

It will be a quite expensive toll road at € 3.20 for 18 km (€ 0.18 per km)

A150, until the 1st decade of the current century was called ... A15! Exactly like the Gennevilliers (A86) - Cergy (N14) section. It was supposed to be the same path and, if I'm not mistaken, was supposed to go as far as Dieppe - the closest city to Paris on the sea. However, something changed throughout the years...

EDIT: A15 used to be the current A15, the current A150 and the current A131

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; January 19th, 2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: found data
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #2977
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post

by Verreme
I made this video to show some of the French motorway numbering oddities. It's a bit weird that there are some autoroutes that are not signed at all -sometimes the only visible indication of them having a number is a lonely kilometer post. A55xA7 interchange is particularly impressive: it contains two more motorways within itself.

Autoputevi kao hobi liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #2978
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Some of those motorways are just intersections and some of them i think not longer then 1 km.
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #2979
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kerguelen
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #2980
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

hahaha, Interstate-shield colours on sign 66 :lmao:

Tags