daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2015, 01:17 PM   #3021
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9928

Well, this is the usual and annual joyful weekend of the winter school holidays with the 3 national school zones in vacation at the same time ...
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM   #3022
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

Yep, plus a lot of snow.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, parcdesprinces liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 03:33 PM   #3023
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A47 Lyon - St. Étienne

A video of A47 from Lyon to Saint Étienne. I filmed it in September. The mountains in this area were a bit higher than I expected, they go up to 1400 m.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autoputevi kao hobi liked this post
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3024
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To make the toll road more profitable. They saved a lot of money by not building another 465 meter long bridge across the Somme River while charging tolls as usual. The traffic volume is quite low there. According to this PDF the traffic volume on that stretch is only 6,600 vehicles per day.
I'm very surprised at this. Not to be polemical, but I'm wondering whether a road that has two-lane (1+1) bridges would even qualify as an Interstate over here. (I'm sure someone can come up with one in a very sparsely traveled mountain area in the West...)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:23 PM   #3025
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I don't think it is allowed normally aside from construction zone staging (see it all the time) or with some derogation, probably I-93 through Franconia Notch might have them though.

I always wonder about the Franconia Notch section, they say they made it that way because of "sensitive environment", but it literally needs like 10 feet of asphalt to be a normal 4 lane freeway....
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:27 PM   #3026
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Franconia Notch may have a special status. My guess is it's a National Park Service road marked as an Interstate for the sake of navigation. Which you can say about any toll road, actually. Therefore not built with Interstate funds (the same reason the restriction on service areas doesn't apply on toll roads or roads like the Connecticut Turnpike that were built as such). No idea what it takes for a road like that to get an Interstate number.

Mods, this was a stray thought...permission (not that you need it) to move this bit across the Atlantic. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:28 PM   #3027
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm very surprised at this. Not to be polemical, but I'm wondering whether a road that has two-lane (1+1) bridges would even qualify as an Interstate over here. (I'm sure someone can come up with one in a very sparsely traveled mountain area in the West...)
Actually, I-93 is the road you are looking for - it's 1+1 (I'm ignoring Alaska and Puerto Rico). Not for a bridge, though - mostly to minimise environmental impact. It's a good mile long, with no shoulders (though northbound seems to be mostly two narrow lanes, as if they took over a narrow shoulder, with the southbound shoulder being used to make the median wider so cones could go in it)

The Interstate network has minimum standards that include 2+2 minimum, with Acts of Congress needed to get around these standards (Wisconsin is waiting for an exemption with I-41). However, I don't think Autoroutes do need 2+2 or better to be Autoroutes (cf the former A199, or the A660 about 5 years ago - both of which were more heavily trafficked than the A28 bridges and had longer stretches of 1+1), but it's a de facto assumption that they have at least 2 lanes each way and if they don't, they typically would be 'happy car' roads instead.

With the low traffic volumes of 6k/day, and the short lengths of the bridge, I doubt it matters.

Penn's Woods liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM   #3028
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

And the section you're referring to is often called the Franconia Notch Parkway, complete with (if memory serves) brown- instead of green-background directional signage like you'd find in a national park. I'll have to look into this when I have nothing better to do.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3029
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
With the low traffic volumes of 6k/day, and the short lengths of the bridge, I doubt it matters.
But it's France and we need to consider special nature of l'Hexagone... volume is probably 600 vpd except when the entire country goes on holiday and it becomes 60 000 vpd! Putain!

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:40 PM   #3030
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The segment of A29 from A26 (St. Quentin) to A1 has no shoulders as well. But the permitted speed is 130 km/h.

They are a little creative with road classification in France. Some very substandard routes have autoroute status (just look at A7 in Lyon) while some very generously designed N-roads have no autoroute status. For example in my video, the A47 near Givors is substandard, while N88 near St. Étienne has six lanes and shoulders.
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:00 PM   #3031
sotonsi

we get complaints like this in the UK.
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:14 PM   #3032
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Motorways or expressways u/c

A466: Quincieux (A46) – Les Cheres (A6) 4km (? to 2015) – projectmap

It's announced to be opened in late summer 2015 (= September?) accoring to the project page.

Quote:
À sa mise en service, prévue fin de l'été 2015, l’A466 permettra aux usagers de l’A46 en provenance de l'Est de Lyon de rejoindre directement l’A6 en direction du Sud et inversement.
Does anyone know when A466 construction began?

A507: Frais Vallon – Marseille-East (A50) 5.2km (1993 to 2015) – projectmap

I've checked the wikipedia article but I'm totally confused now. So many dates, like 'Fall 2014', 'Late 2015', 'Summer 2016', 'Late 2017' or '2020' . When will the 1st section be completed? Is the 2nd section u/c too?

According to my info, two additional motorway sections are currently u/c in France:

A304: Rocroi – Charleroi-Mezieres (A34) 31km (July 2011 to Late 2016) – projectmap
A9: Saint-Jean-de-Vedas – Saint Aunes ~12km (October 2014 to Late 2017) – projectmap

Are there more motorways or expressways currently u/c in France?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:16 PM   #3033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You may want to try Wikisara. It's pretty comprehensive about French highways.
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:22 PM   #3034
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some motorways were closed in the French Alps. There is an incredible traffic chaos, people have been stranded in stationary traffic for almost the entire day.

The entire road network became clogged between Lyon and Albertville. There was over 1,000 kilometers of traffic jams in this view of TomTom Traffic.
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:36 PM   #3035
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Ok. I don't speak French at all but...

The only u/c A507 section seems to be completed by 2016 (source).

A very short 'section' of A104 seems to be u/c too (source) but it's only... Well, let's say optimizing an interchange, see OSM.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:02 AM   #3036
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The segment of A29 from A26 (St. Quentin) to A1 has no shoulders as well. But the permitted speed is 130 km/h.

They are a little creative with road classification in France. Some very substandard routes have autoroute status (just look at A7 in Lyon) while some very generously designed N-roads have no autoroute status. For example in my video, the A47 near Givors is substandard, while N88 near St. Étienne has six lanes and shoulders.
and the pain in the ass - N572 - N113. i always complain about it. ok, the N part is obviously worse maintained than A part, but i am sure that if Autoroutes du Sud de la France would take that N part, it would be maintained much better and would appear as proper motorway.

actually, i'd say that France has really a few of those substandard motorway sections, the situation is quite clear there. this A29 part has surprised me, i never knew about it.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:15 PM   #3037
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Why does France have such ugly text font and italic on their road signs and highway overhead signs? I wish they changed them!!
They are great! (I growth by seeing these road sign so maybe it's why I don't find them ugly... )

Road_UK liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:23 PM   #3038
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

French road signs are great, because it fits with France, its ways of doing stuff and they actually work. It serves its purpose.

sotonsi liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM   #3039
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
and the pain in the ass - N572 - N113. i always complain about it. ok, the N part is obviously worse maintained than A part, but i am sure that if Autoroutes du Sud de la France would take that N part, it would be maintained much better and would appear as proper motorway.
I'm surprised there isn't an A81/A82 style plan to eventually 'convert' the road there to A54.

There's quite a few 'missed' connections, where a Voie Express plugs a gap in the Autoroute. A89 not meeting the A630 (itself not going all the way around Bordeaux), A64 having a gap at its west end, A84 having a gap in the middle, A49 not reaching A7, A54, A35, A22, A46, A41/A43, A86 (near A6) - have I missed any out?
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:56 PM   #3040
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
French road signs are great, because it fits with France, its ways of doing stuff and they actually work. It serves its purpose.
Exit signs on Autoroutes could show the route numbers of the road you're exiting to. As I believe most of Europe does.

If I may say so. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
france