daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #3101
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Fire risk there?

Doesn't look a prime location for forest fires
All the area is strictly protected against forest fires. Some roads, such as the one leading to Calanque de Sormiou in Marseille, are closed all summer days. And if fire risk is exceptionally high, some calanques are also closed to pedestrians. The official website of Calanques de Marseille natural park has some detailed information on scheduled road closures and fires in the park. The main risk is wind associated to fire. Wind gusts over 100 km/h are very common, and that way fire can spread quickly. Mistral wind is everywhere in Marseille area; and it blows very hard -you don't realize it until you feel it.

There are similar restrictions in nearby natural spaces. For example, La Sainte-Baume mountain is closed for pedestrians when fire risk is especially high. They put signs banning pedestrians on the roads that climb to it. It sounds (and is) a bit odd to ban people from the countryside, but the French love to ban stuff

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #3102
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A8 Cannes / Nice

A video of A8 in the Cannes / Nice area. It is said to be the busiest stretch of motorway outside of Paris, but I haven't been able to find any exact traffic counts. The eight-lane section may be over 200,000 vehicles per day.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #3103
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I don't think so. I've checked it on Sunday .
Look here.
It seems to be an official source.

Quote:
Quelqu'un aurait-il une période officielle pour l'ouverture de Naucelle - La Mothe ?

Mise en service courant Juin.

Quelles sont tes sources ?

Le chef de projet en charge de la déviation de Naucelle au SIR d'Albi (DIRSO).

MichiH liked this post
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 02:24 PM   #3104
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A video of A8 in the Cannes / Nice area. It is said to be the busiest stretch of motorway outside of Paris, but I haven't been able to find any exact traffic counts. The eight-lane section may be over 200,000 vehicles per day.

According to 2010 data (the newest one I've found), the highest AADT on the A8 around Nice is 132.900 veh/day on the stretch which is closest to the airport.

Outside of Paris, I've found that for example the A7 on the access to Marseilles got a highest AADT, over 140.000 veh/day.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM   #3105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The busiest stretch is probably between Cagnes-sur-Mer and Saint-Laurent-du-Var, as it has eight lanes.

I noticed how poorly the Voie Mathis is connected to A8. Google Maps suggests a very circuitous route.
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:15 PM   #3106
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Outside of Paris, I've found that for example the A7 on the access to Marseilles got a highest AADT, over 140.000 veh/day.
I think you can find higher on the Boulevard Périphérique of Lyon around Villeurbanne but it is not an autoroute.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:15 PM   #3107
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

But in contrast to Marseille and Lyon this motorway is tolled and the rates are not lower than elsewhere. I wonder where all the money goes to.

Quote:
I noticed how poorly the Voie Mathis is connected to A8. Google Maps suggests a very circuitous route.
A8 to Voie Mathis is quite easy although its not for big trucks and there is a funny traffic light involved after which access to Voie Mathis starts as a left hand road!

Route

The other direction is not so simple, but the exits 50 and 51 of A8 are in complete reconstruction. I don't know how it will look like at the end.

However very annoying I found the connection between the two main roads here, the former N7 (M6007 which includes Voie Mathis) and the former N98 (the coastal road M6098). Both share the same bridge over the river Var, but the interconnecion is very poor. When coming from the West on N98 you can't switch over to N7. Even the two big junctions on both ends of the bridge don't offer this connection. It would be necessary to go from N98 to A8 before the bridge and then follow the route in my link above, the exit with the queue in the video (its not tolled).
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:03 PM   #3108
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
I see they are rebuilding that crazy curve just West of Nice. I had never seen such a low permanent speed limit on a motorway mainline before I saw that 50 km/h limit on that curve, and I've never seen any after that.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:26 PM   #3109
Redstear

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I see they are rebuilding that crazy curve just West of Nice. I had never seen such a low permanent speed limit on a motorway mainline before I saw that 50 km/h limit on that curve, and I've never seen any after that.
Spain has worse corners
Redstear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #3110
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There is the A7 in Lyon
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.74819...V0BQ!2e0?hl=en

The A7 in Lyon is not up to autoroute standards, especially on the Mulatière bridge.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:00 PM   #3111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Autoroute A350 in Strasbourg has been declassed to N2350. It's a 1200 meter long autoroute, more like a big exit than an actual motorway.

http://legifrance.gouv.fr/affichText...tegorieLien=id

Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3112
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17480

Quote:
Autoroute A350 in Strasbourg has been declassed to N2350. It's a 1200 meter long autoroute, more like a big exit than an actual motorway.
Usually declassed motorway gets "D" number. Four-digit national road number is a liitle strange thing.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM   #3113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M2205 Vallée de Tinée

A video of road M2205 through the Tinée River Valley north of Nice, into the Mercantour National Park. I was surprised by the four-lane 110 km/h stretch in the middle of nowhere.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:30 PM   #3114
verreme

Quote:
A video of road M2205 through the Tinée River Valley north of Nice, into the Mercantour National Park. I was surprised by the four-lane 110 km/h stretch in the middle of nowhere.
These "hidden" four-lane stretches are not uncommon in France (1, 2, 3).

Wolfgang16 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:16 PM   #3115
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
I had the same w.t.h. feeling when driving there some years ago.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:47 PM   #3116
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17480

Quote:
I was surprised by the four-lane 110 km/h stretch in the middle of nowhere.
The bicyclist on the stretch with 110km/h speed limit is suprising too
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:51 PM   #3117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
These "hidden" four-lane stretches are not uncommon in France (1, 2, 3).
I've been on number 2 and 3

I wonder what people in such valleys do for a living, when they live way out in the boonies. It's really far from any facilities like supermarkets or jobs. Some will probably work in tourism, but there isn't a lot of agriculture possible and tourism's only a few months per year (there were many signs for ski areas).

Imagine going skiing in Isola 2000, and then having a drink 2 hours later on a beach under the palm trees in Nice.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:56 PM   #3118
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:

I wonder what people in such valleys do for a living, when they live way out in the boonies. It's really far from any facilities like supermarkets or jobs. Some will probably work in tourism, but there isn't a lot of agriculture possible and tourism's only a few months per year (there were many signs for ski areas).

Imagine going skiing in Isola 2000, and then having a drink 2 hours later on a beach under the palm trees in Nice.
This is why alpine small towns have been withering population since WW1. Some towns are now also gearing up more and more for summer tourism (rafting, hiking etc).
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #3119
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
The bicyclist on the stretch with 110km/h speed limit is suprising too
Why? They're allowed in this type of road, there's no restriction to motor vehicles.

There are many countries that allow bicycles in roads with a speed limit higher than 100 km/h.

Quote:

There's a growing rural tourism industry in these villages. We have the same trend in Spain. More and more people enjoy hiking, climbing and other mountain sports, and this has been a breath of fresh air for mountain regions that were having a steady population decline since the Industrial Revolution.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:30 PM   #3120
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Heck, it was re-lettered in 2012, yet my 2014 road atlas still shows it as D2205 (former N205, first version). It seems metropolitan roads go all the way up to the Col de la Bonnette summit, way out from Nice! . On the other hand, M6202 reverts to D6202 soon after the M2205 turnoff.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france