daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:39 PM   #3181
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

I don’t know about France or the Unites States, but in Poland one of the major problems is lack of respect for speed limits. Let me be clear what this is about: I don’t refer to morons who drive over 100 km/h in city centers under heavy traffic just because in their minds they possess the ultimate driving skills and they’re not limited by law. I refer to generally law abiding citizens who are annoyed by speed limits that are left behind after a completed construction or have no reasonable explanation in a particular place and eventually they ignore these restrictions. In the long term, it weakens respect for speed limits elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:38 PM   #3182
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek_CK View Post
I don’t know about France or the Unites States, but in Poland one of the major problems is lack of respect for speed limits. Let me be clear what this is about: I don’t refer to morons who drive over 100 km/h in city centers under heavy traffic just because in their minds they possess the ultimate driving skills and they’re not limited by law. I refer to generally law abiding citizens who are annoyed by speed limits that are left behind after a completed construction or have no reasonable explanation in a particular place and eventually they ignore these restrictions. In the long term, it weakens respect for speed limits elsewhere.
Your analise is true, when you put much pressure on people, after a moment it become too much... Maybe that is the reason of the increasing of deads on french roads during the last months...

Also I don't think that speed is the main problem in France, in France most of peoples are respectfull of speed limits or they don't really drive "dangerously" unlike in many other countries (for example Romania, where I can see how peoples doesn't have any respect for limitations and have no notion of limitations)...

In fact most of accidents in France are still linked to usage of alcohol or drugs, and a recent survey showed that almost 80% of french peoples are thinking that there is not enough control for alcohol on the road...

And yes I personaly believe that speed cams can bring money in the "coffers of the state" while fight against alcoholism aren't making such money. (According from a recent study from a big french car magazine, around 52% of speedcams aren't placed in dangerous areas (where accidents already occured), most of them are placed in "safe" areas...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #3183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

A75 La Méridienne

Some more photos of A75 through the Massif Central. It is one of the best motorway rides in France. The 330 kilometers from Clermont-Ferrand to Béziers are behind you before you know it, the route never bores.

A75-111 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-116 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-118 by European Roads, on Flickr

Hey what's that in the distance?

A75-124 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-125 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-130 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-136 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-138 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-140 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-146 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-154 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-155 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-158 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-160 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-169 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-176 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-179 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-185 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-188 by European Roads, on Flickr

A75-193 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #3184
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 13.7 kilometer segment of four lane expressway N88 was inaugurated today. It opens to traffic tomorrow. It runs from La Mothe to La-Baraque-Saint-Jean, which is between Rodez and Albi.

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2015...-la-mothe.html
The first video is published:

Curvature is well done, even 548 km/h is not scaring.

verreme liked this post
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #3185
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Yes, it's particularly noticeable with the vast amount of 60km/h limits at junctions that have separate turning lanes and don't require such dramatic decreases. They're almost universally ignored, and I think it's a huge cause of the general disrespect towards speed limits.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #3186
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Next week is the 14th of July, or le quatorze juillet as pronounced in France. As it is a public holiday, I am curious whether the roads will become busy?
I am personally interested as well, as my holiday starts on the 14th and I will travel from Utrecht (NL) to the Dordogne area on this day.
Maybe our French forummers could shed some light on this? Thanks!
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #3187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are no problems expected that day. I'm guessing most French have a long weekend.

Traffic calendar of Bison Futé:

http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pd...e_A5_DEFV2.pdf

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChasingCars liked this post
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #3188
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Well...Speeding is considered the #1 problem in the United States.

The reason it's a problem is that a lot of American roads are overdesigned relative to their posted speeds. When your road has geometry for traveling at 60 mph (100 kph) and your posted speed limit is 40 mph (65 kph) ... what do you think is going to win out? (I will also note that, by and large, motorists do respect a road's design speed.)

For a long time there was a tacit understanding among cops to not enforce excessively low speed limit restrictions. It's only relatively recently that enforcement has become stricter, particularly in municipalities in decline ... like Ferguson, MO.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #3189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A63 Biarritz - Bordeaux

The N10 was widened to 2x3 lanes and renumbered A63 in 2013. It is also tolled, but only with an open barrier system, and quite some stretches are untolled.

I took some photos on a Sunday morning, when trucks are banned and there is no commuter traffic.

A63-24 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-28 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-30 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-35 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-40 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-42 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-49 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-54 by European Roads, on Flickr

A63-56 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #3190
BlackC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 908

It's a HUGE imrpovement on the N10 before. Traffic jams were normal every year there + the road was in a very poor state. Very glad they updated and upgraded that part. The only part of N10 I still use now is between Poitiers and Angouleme. (which is an expressway with 2x2 lanes mostly.

winnipeg liked this post
BlackC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #3191
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

But tolls are extraordinarily high. In class 1 its about 3.5€ for a 10 km stretch of plain motorway, no bridge, no tunnel!
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #3192
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21243

I remember A65 tolls being very expensive as well..
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3193
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7452

Brisavoine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A curvy stretch through a shallow canyon. I got fined for doing 95 in a 90 zone (of course the speed camera was on a straight section).
That curvy stretch is the most annoying part of the A75! The reason for its existence is because of former president Valéry Giscard-d'Estaing and the monarchical way in which France functions.

Initially the A75 was of course not supposed to go through those narrow and curvy gorges. It was supposed to go straight, like a regular motorway, on the plateau above those gorges, but apparently Mr Giscard-d'Estaing owns a château on that plateau, and he opposed the building of the motorway near his château, and since he has a lot of levy within the French State, eventually the authorities caved in and decided to use the old curvy road inside the gorges and just enlarged it, thus sparing the tranquility of the former president, but making this section hell for drivers. Welcome to France!

Also in terms of "welcome to France", I'm not surprised by your fine. France has become a hell for drivers in recent years, with all their speed traps and cameras. The country is victim of a 'road safety' lobby that is just as extremist at the old alcohol prohibitionist lobby in the US back in the 1920s. Politicians are scared to oppose that 'road safety' lobby, so year after year they enact stricter and stricter rules to please that lobby. Only 2 weeks ago they banned handsfree mobile phones in car.

The lobby has even more extreme plans in the pipeline. They want the government to track the time you enter a motorway and leave it (with the electronic record of your crossing the tool booths), so they can calculate your average speed on the entire section of a motorway, and fine you if your average speed was in excess of 130 km/h.

They also want to reduce speed limits: 120 km/h on motorways and 80 km/h on non-motorways. They also want systematic control of speed day and night by unidentified cars (i.e. police driving non-police cars and posing as tourists).

Their guru is a bitter woman in her 60s who receives lots of airtime on French TV and radios and whose statements are never ever challenged by journalists (such as "decreasing speed is the best way to decrease deaths on the roads, all experts show that a 10 km/h decrease means bla bla bla").

Politicians have chauffeurs anyway + 1st class free tickets in TGV high-speed trains and domestic Air France flights, so they don't care about these super strict rules which don't affect them.

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

Sesto Elemento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #3194
BlackC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesto Elemento View Post
Brisavoine:
Sounds like you are describing Belgium or the Netherlands. Welcome to Europe. If you fart, you get fined.

winnipeg liked this post
BlackC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:31 PM   #3195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A719 Vichy - Gannat

I made a video of A719 from Vichy to Gannat. Note how the first section from Vichy to the toll plaza has only one lane.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, xrtn2, verreme, Bren liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #3196
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #3197
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

The driver of that bus was either stupid or a psychopath -you can see clearly that the tunnel is very low for a bus, plus there are signs with the maximum allowed height. Getting in trouble with a caravan or a low van is somewhat easy to understand, but that is just absurd.
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3198
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Next week I'll be going into France. First I'll go to the Bordeaux area and then to the French Basque Country (the so-called Iparralde). Since A65 tolls are so damn expensive, what is the best route to avoid it? A63 through Landes is hard to avoid, but at least is cheaper IIRC.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #3199
slickman

Likes (Received): 71

Well, I guess via Orthez, Mont-de-Marsan and then via D834 towards Bordeaux would be an interesting alternative. You will join the A63 after the tollboth, so the rest of the A63 till Bordeaux is without toll.
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #3200
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Next week I'll be going into France. First I'll go to the Bordeaux area and then to the French Basque Country (the so-called Iparralde). Since A65 tolls are so damn expensive, what is the best route to avoid it? A63 through Landes is hard to avoid, but at least is cheaper IIRC.
Yes, the road to the Somport tunnel ,Oloron, Orthez ,Mont-de Marsan is good and quiet.
But Orthez is annoying to go through. And some stretches before and after the town are difficult behind a truck.
An other road: Oloron, follow D936 to Sauveterre de béarn, D933 and D 430 to Puyoo, Dax (new bypass since this year) D947 to Castets and take the A63 to Bordeaux (one toll )
I know some other roads and shortcuts but difficult to explain and only to win 10 minutes.
For example: puerto del Portalet , Pau and two solutions:
1: the old national road parallel at the A65 to the east of Bordeaux, or go to Mont de Marsan after Aire sur l'adour (toll free to bypass the city by the A65) to go west of Bordeaux.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france