daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #3301
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17479

Île-de-France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

General Maximus, DSzumaher liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #3302
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Merci
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #3303

Likes (Received): 1439

Does anyone know if Monaco and France have ever concidered an eastern tunnel connection to the A8?
If you come/go from/to Nice, there is a long tunnel from the A8 to Cap d'Ail which then has a road into Monaco (I hear they're working on extending the tunnel so you don't have to go through Cap d'Ail).

But if you want to go east from Monaco on the A8, you have to go through the small roads up the mountains.
Have they ever concidered some sort of tunnel or is the mountain to step/the traffic to small?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #3304
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
Île-de-France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
And Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Luki_SL, DSzumaher, parcdesprinces liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #3305
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17479

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
If you come/go from/to Nice, there is a long tunnel from the A8 to Cap d'Ail which then has a road into Monaco (I hear they're working on extending the tunnel so you don't have to go through Cap d'Ail).
I haven't seen any works at the tunnel to Cap d'Ail (A500 extending) in october. Isn`t it only a plans to extend the tunnel ?
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #3306
Julien06200

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Does anyone know if Monaco and France have ever concidered an eastern tunnel connection to the A8?

But if you want to go east from Monaco on the A8, you have to go through the small roads up the mountains.
Have they ever concidered some sort of tunnel or is the mountain to step/the traffic to small?
I live nearby and I've never heard about such a project. It would cost a lot and I don't think it would be relevant, as traffic is not so high.

There is no plan either to extend the A500. A tunnel is under construction in Monaco to link the Boulevard du Jardin exotique and the Boulevard Charles III, so people won't have to drive through the city.
In Cap d'Ail, they are thinking of creating a small tunnel to bypass the traffic lights located between the motorway and the border.
Julien06200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #3307

Ah I might have misunderstod it. I just read some short article this summer.

While on the subject of the Cote d'Azur; two places I've always wanted new highways is to bypass the airport and one that goes through Antibes-Golfe-Juan-Cannes.

The first would just be better; going from Monaco, one could skip going along the Var and going straight ahead. Probably not justifiable, but it would be convenient.

The second would do a great deal.
I love going down to Antibes and Cannes but I always dread it because of how long it takes. Exiting the highway, you have to go through endless amounts of small roads.
A highway through it all (obviously alot of tunnels) would be expensive but I'm thinking it would be used alot. It would make Cannes and Antibes alot more accessable.

Some amateurish sketches of mine so you understand what I mean:

Cagnes Tunnel

Cannes-Antibes Tunnel
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #3308
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

I believe the A8 segment from Cagnes-sur-Mer to Nice is the busiest road in France outside of Paris.

The curve near the Var River was recently reconstructed.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #3309

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe the A8 segment from Cagnes-sur-Mer to Nice is the busiest road in France outside of Paris.

The curve near the Var River was recently reconstructed.
I can imagine.
Then an alternative route wouldn't be to bad?
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #3310
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

The whole region is terribly congested, especially in summer. It's normal given that there's only one motorway (A8), and the rest are two-lane roads. There were plans for an Antibes bypass, but only a very short section of it has seen the light and the rest is cancelled, at least as an expressway (space reservations are still there though). I don't think we'll ever see another motorway there, because it's a very densely populated area and municipalities don't want any. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone successfully campaigned for Voie Pierre Mathis in Nice to be torn down.
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #3311

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
The whole region is terribly congested, especially in summer. It's normal given that there's only one motorway (A8), and the rest are two-lane roads.
Indeed. In Marbella, Spain they have one freeway along the water and one further up in the mountains.
Strange that the Cote d'Azur don't have something similair...

Quote:
There were plans for an Antibes bypass, but only a very short section of it has seen the light and the rest is cancelled, at least as an expressway (space reservations are still there though).
Oh, did the proposal have any name that one can google?

Quote:
I don't think we'll ever see another motorway there, because it's a very densely populated area and municipalities don't want any.
Why not? Dosen't Cannes, Antibes Golfe-Juan & Juan-Les-Pens have big problems with congestion? Why not have a new highway?

Quote:
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone successfully campaigned for Voie Pierre Mathis in Nice to be torn down.
Well, it wouldn't hurt if they'd bury it as a tunnel and have the area where it is now turned into a boulevard.

In fact, it would be great if you'd have a tunnel with a highway and the train and a green, tree-filled boulevard for street traffic with the tramway in the middle.
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #3312
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Indeed. In Marbella, Spain they have one freeway along the water and one further up in the mountains.
Strange that the Cote d'Azur don't have something similair...

Oh, did the proposal have any name that one can google?
Wikisara has an article on it (in French).

Quote:
Why not? Dosen't Cannes, Antibes Golfe-Juan & Juan-Les-Pens have big problems with congestion? Why not have a new highway?
Generally speaking, France does not want any more urban motorways. Many projects tend to be downscaled. For example, look what they built here or here. The original plan was to build a motorway, but 50 years later this is what they've come with. Today it seems that the only "feasible" thing, at least politically speaking, is bus lanes or separate busways.

Quote:
Well, it wouldn't hurt if they'd bury it as a tunnel and have the area where it is now turned into a boulevard.

In fact, it would be great if you'd have a tunnel with a highway and the train and a green, tree-filled boulevard for street traffic with the tramway in the middle.
I don't think they're interested in throwing such amounts of money in a project like that, but who knows.
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3313

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Wikisara has an article on it (in French).

Generally speaking, France does not want any more urban motorways. Many projects tend to be downscaled. For example, look what they built here or here. The original plan was to build a motorway, but 50 years later this is what they've come with. Today it seems that the only "feasible" thing, at least politically speaking, is bus lanes or separate busways.

I don't think they're interested in throwing such amounts of money in a project like that, but who knows.
Thanks for the answers!
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3314
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9737

French long-distance monotony, which ...

... is disrupted by a "quarry footbridge" near the Col de Saverne.
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #3315
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.
Oh gosh, those new names (and so-called new "régions")... !

()

Penn's Woods, winnipeg liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #3316
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Seriously. Just don't abolish the départements: I went to a lot of effort to memorize them.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

parcdesprinces, sotonsi liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #3317
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A segment of voie express N79 opened to traffic on 23 June 2015 between Verosves en Col de Vaux. Another segment between Besson-Ouest and Chemilly will open to traffic in December 2015.
N79 is part of RCEA, an east-west expressway across central France. It is made up of several routes nationales.
The sections near Verosves has 4-lanes but the median is without fixed barrier: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=46...1608&z=16&m=bs. There seem to be other N79/RCEA sections with fixed barrier on the median, for instance here: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=46...1430&z=19&m=bs. Is it still common in France to built 4-laned roads without barrier on the median?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #3318
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those are sections with a metal crash barrier instead of a jersey barrier.
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #3319
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Ok, but the Verosves section is without any barrier.......

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #3320
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That section also has a metal crash barrier: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3856...7i13312!8i6656

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post

Tags
france