daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:16 PM   #3361
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
The stretch linking it with A7 will open next year, so the connection between A50 and A7 will be entirely free-flowing. That means Marseille will have a motorway-standard bypass after 80 years of planning
That's reported by wikisara too. A PPP contract was signed in 2013 and the section will be commissioned in late 2017. It's marked green (in planning stage) on the map though.

Do you know when construction works began on this section?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #3362
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Google Earth show some early stage earthworks and greenery removal at the Pierre Paraf roundabout on its 1 August 2014 imagery.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:30 PM   #3363
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Too few exits.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:10 AM   #3364
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This was once planned:

They actually preserved a right-of-way for the 'Autoroute Blancarde - Aubagne'. It was partially used for an urban arterial and tramway in 2007.
The rights-of-way of these planned motorways have been partially used for new streets, tram lines or wide boulevards, such as this one, this one or this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Too few exits.
L2 will have fewer interchanges than in that map. Here's a rendering of the finished product:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
That's reported by wikisara too. A PPP contract was signed in 2013 and the section will be commissioned in late 2017. It's marked green (in planning stage) on the map though.

Do you know when construction works began on this section?
Summer 2014 (project website).

Highway89, MichiH, Bren liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #3365
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

The A35 from North to South:

-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #3366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A570 Hyères - Toulon

I can't wait for summer with these palm trees along A570

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, DanielFigFoz liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #3367
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm really amused to see the French putting up those German-style "brown touristic region" signs with German-named areas

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #3368
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
The A35 from North to South:
Is that France? It appears to be Germany but with French signage .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #3369

Likes (Received): 1439

I had this crazy idea last time I drove from Paris to Monaco; wouldn't it be great if there was an alternative to the A7 from northern France to the southeast?

All traffic now goes along A7, a freeway & high speed rail through the southern Alps would be a great alternative.

This route goes from Lyon via Grenoble, Gap, Isola 2000 to Nice.

It might not go through the most densily populated areas, but it would certainly help these cities.
If Nice would have the Winter Olympics, the route to Isola would be much needed. And the route to Grenoble/Lyon would boost tourism and traffic through this area.

Also; the drive from Lyon to Nice via this road is 335 km. The route via Avignon and Marseille is 444 km.

This is the route:
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #3370
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

I really like the font used on the road signs in France, I just wish they didn't sign things IN ALL CAPITALS. It makes it harder to read at speed.
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #3371
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
I had this crazy idea last time I drove from Paris to Monaco; wouldn't it be great if there was an alternative to the A7 from northern France to the southeast?
A51 completion (is that still going to happen?) and N85/former N85 via Digne-le-Bains to Cannes.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #3372
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A motorway from Gap to Nice would be prohibitively expensive to construct. It would need to be almost entirely in tunnels, as the mountain ranges are over 3000 meters in altitude and there are no easy valleys for a motorway to run through. The black line goes pretty much over Col de la Bonette, which is over 2800 meters in altitude.

Even the completion of A51 from Col de Fau to south of Gap seems very far into the future.
Old March 31st, 2016, 09:08 PM   #3373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6-A89 link, Lyon

Construction on the A6-A89 link in Lyon will start on Monday 4 April, according to 20 minutes. A construction start was also announced in September 2015.

The € 150 million project will construct 5.5 kilometers of motorway and a new interchange with A6. It is expected to be completed in February 2018. It will improve east-west traffic through Lyon. Motorway infrastructure in Lyon was mostly oriented north-south until now. They already opened a new link between A46 and A6 north of Lyon in 2015 (A466).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Luki_SL, Bren liked this post
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #3374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A63

A Déclaration d'Utilité Publique (DUP - declaration of public utility) has been issued for the widening of A63 in southwestern France, from Saint-Geours-de-Maremne to Ondres, north of Bayonne. This segment will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes.

A DUP is a necessary permit to obtain before a construction project can start. It is not an environmental assessment, however.

Luki_SL liked this post
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #3375
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

That's the only remaining 2x2 stretch between the Spanish border and Bordeaux, right?
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #3376
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There's quite a long stretch south of Bordeaux (probably around 40 kilometers) that still has 2x2 lanes.

This photo was taken on a Sunday morning. A lot of outbound traffic towards the beaches near Arcachon, almost no inbound traffic to Bordeaux.

A63-65 by European Roads, on Flickr

verreme, Luki_SL, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #3377
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
That's the only remaining 2x2 stretch between the Spanish border and Bordeaux, right?
As ChrisZwolle pointed out and I also remember, there is still a 2x2 section near Bordeaux.

Also, A63 got exit numbers in the wrong way, they decrease as kmposts increase.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Suburbanist liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #3378
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

That section south of Bordeaux is in my opinion the most problematic in the whole A63, but as it's state-owned, its possible widening is something we'll only see in a very far future...
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #3379
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There's a good chance that the 2x2 segment south of Bordeaux (up to A660) actually carries more traffic than the long 2x3 segment that used to be N10. It is also a major trucking corridor, as it is only one of two major routes to/from the Iberian Peninsula.

It wasn't until recent years that the western segments of A630 - the Bordeaux ring road, were widened to 2x3 lanes.
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #3380
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28-A13 link, Rouen

The plans for the A28-A13 link east of Rouen (Contournement Est de Rouen) will be open to public comment from 12 May to 11 July. The project encompasses 41.5 kilometers of new autoroute. The motorway will feature 2x2 lanes, the projected cost is € 1 billion. It will be a tolled motorway, opening of the motorway is forecasted for 2024.

Project website: http://www.liaisona28a13.com

Luki_SL, ko7, Bren liked this post

Tags
france