daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #3561
Minato ku

France is a large country (at least in European context) with a lot of small rural roads.

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #3562
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
At least in Spain that's also very common, even when there's just a single road on each side of the highway; I guess it has to do with lower construction costs: building a single roundabout above the highway needs two different bridges, while a roundabout on each side just requires a single albeit wider bridge.
No, no. The whole point of the dogbone roundabout is that it doesn't need two bridges. Even existing two-roundabout systems can be converted to dogbones by simply removing a section from each of the existing circles.

This doesn't make anyone's journey anyhow longer, it only removes two unnecessary conflict points.

Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; March 13th, 2017 at 10:29 PM.
OulaL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #3563
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3931

Alright, I misunderstood what you had written.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #3564
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Do they still teach the French way of signalling when passing? (leaving the indicator on the entire time on the left lane, instead of only during lane changes)

I've noticed this has become less common over the past 10 years.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #3565
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do they still teach the French way of signalling when passing? (leaving the indicator on the entire time on the left lane, instead of only during lane changes)

I've noticed this has become less common over the past 10 years.
In my time, yes, but it was implied that you'd do this only if you were intending to stay on the left lane for a short period of time (overtaking 1 or 2 cars).
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #3566
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I always do this one
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #3567
Minato ku

Oyapock Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
An exceptional video shot from the car of the president of French Guiana, which also transported the governor of the Brazilian state of Amapá, when they crossed the international Oyapock Bridge during the Franco-Brazilian emergency exercise that took place last January.

In the video, you can see first the last stretches of French territory, then the bridge, then entry into Brazil and finally the Brazilian border checkpoint still under construction. This is the first time we can see driving from France to Brazil uninterrupted. Really historical, and fascinating.

sotonsi liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #3568
Minato ku

Oyapock Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
I mean LOL!! The Oyapock Bridge won't be inaugurated tomorrow after all! This bridge opening is turning more and more into a charade...

Originally the bridge was to be inaugurated tomorrow, 5 and a half years after its completion, by the Minister of the Environment, Energy and the Sea, Ms Ségolène Royal, who is the former partner of President Hollande.

This evening the French authorities have informed there won't be an inauguration after all!! The official reason is because the Brazilian authorities did not plan to send any minister from Brasilia, let alone the Brazilian president. There was supposed to be only the governor of Amapá, which is ridiculous, and says much about the current political and economic crisis in which the country is plunged.

The real reason, however, could lie on the French side of the border. There have been demonstrations and road blocks by business leaders since the beginning of Ségolène Royal's trip to French Guiana yesterday. They are protesting against what they call the "disastrous" social and economic situation of French Guiana (I must say this leaves me quite perplexed, given that French Guiana has one of the highest GDP growth rates in France, and the government is doing much for the territory). The visit of the minister has been quite perturbed, and she has apparently decided to leave French Guiana tonight without inaugurating the bridge tomorrow (the business leaders could have blocked the only access road to the bridge). Apparently she used the fact that Brazil is sending no ministers as an excuse.

More here: http://www.franceguyane.fr/actualite...ure-339451.php

PS: Just as I'm finishing writing this message, the authorities now say the bridge will be inaugurated after all, but only by the prefect of French Guiana and the governor of Amapá. No minister, no president! It's not possible, I believe, to make this more confidential! The first road connection between France and Brazil, whose works were launched with official fanfare at a joint ceremony with presidents Nicolas Sarkozy and Lula da Silva, will end with an incognito inauguration 5 and a half years after completion by the completely unknown local representative of both countries. Incredible!

PPS: It's still not known whether the bridge will be opened to traffic after this incognito inauguration.
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:51 PM   #3569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A20

A20 at Cahors

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:13 PM   #3570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N70

A 5.2 kilometer segment of 2x2 voie express opens to traffic this afternoon along N70 between Saint-Vincent-Bragny and Paray-le-Monial (N79). It is part of the RCEA. Completion was originally planned for late 2017.

http://www.bienpublic.com/actualite/...on-ce-mercredi

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:40 PM   #3571
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

No hard median divider? I thought they were mandatory.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The photo was probably taken before a median divider was installed.
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N1569 Miramas

The Miramas Bypass of N1569 in Southern France opened to traffic this morning. It is a 2x2, 90 km/h road with roundabouts. It may form a part of the future A56 (Fos - Salon), but it isn't built to expressway standards.

verreme liked this post
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #3574
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Hello,

Maybe some question already done in other times... which are compulsory issues you have to take away to drive in France?. I guess yellow jacket for accidents but.. any other in addition?

Thanks in advance

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #3575
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

Same that in Spain +
Firt aid kit
Alcohol tester? - i think this is on hold, at least it was the last time i was in France.
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #3576
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've driven through France numerous times but I've never been stopped for a routine check. I think the chance that they will check more than the identity of the occupants and car papers are very small, let alone fine you for not having a first aid kit...

I don't have a breathalyzer and first aid kit in my car. Just a few orange safety vests and an emergency triangle. Not much more. No spare parts or tow rope. Although I do have a full-size spare tire (which is uncommon in new cars today).

If you want to travel around Europe and really take along everything every country requires your trunk is full of junk. Some countries even mandate a fire extinguisher.
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:06 AM   #3577
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

it would be for a less than 100 km return journey and... I guess it worths not to buy everything and just pay fine instead just in case

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:54 PM   #3578
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Very unlikely that you risk anything. I have my German pile of crap (first aid kit, yellow jacket, warning triangle) in the back, and I guess that's enough.

The alcohol tester is mandatory but there is no sanction if you don't have one
http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr...ule/ethylotest

Welcome to France
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:09 AM   #3579
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I kind of like that French culture is such that breathalyzer in car became mandatory.

La bonne vie passe par le bon vin!
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:04 PM   #3580
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

This is not because of the French culture, but because of the French road safety-related paranoia.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made helmets mandatory when driving a car. Just wait for someone in the road safety lobby to say "hey, we could save thousands of lives" and the media to do the rest.

Tags
france