daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2017, 11:43 PM   #3721
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

The current French numbering system is a disgrace. They want to funnel you into Autoroutes even if you don't want to fill the pockets of the greedy concessionaire owners. And the old nationales, which are sometimes impossible to follow due to the numbers changing at every département border, are downgraded with silly measures such as lowered speed limits outside built-up areas and gymkhana-like traffic calming through villages. It's a total shame that such a great, efficient road network (much more efficient than the German one, for example, because roads are straight and go through less villages) is totally disregarded by the government.

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #3722
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9928

Don't worry dear Catalan friend, we are about to close -again- the Franco-Spanish border (just like we did during your first civil war)... so you won't have to complain about the French roads! = Problem solved!

flierfy liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #3723
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
It's a total shame that such a great, efficient road network (much more efficient than the German one, for example, because roads are straight and go through less villages) is totally disregarded by the government.

Say what? Quite the contrary actually, straight roads are forbidden in France
Bender está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #3724
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

I see no problem whatsoever in traffic calming older national routes that cut straight through urban settlements, as long as the road design is downgraded to match that of a street and not of a highway, within the urbanized perimeters.

It is really a bad idea for everyone to have cars zipping at 70km/h through city centers with houses and shops and 90-degree city block intersections and tight sidewalks.
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #3725
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I see no problem whatsoever in traffic calming older national routes that cut straight through urban settlements, as long as the road design is downgraded to match that of a street and not of a highway, within the urbanized perimeters.

It is really a bad idea for everyone to have cars zipping at 70km/h through city centers with houses and shops and 90-degree city block intersections and tight sidewalks.
Say whaaaaaat? After seven years it's finally happened: Suburbanist is taking sense!

Penn's Woods liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #3726
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Interesting discussion here
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #3727
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

what i dont understand is why several sections of a national road have been downgraded to RD and its not possible for instance reach paris from the spanish border following the same route number

parcdesprinces liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #3728
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Same here...and I'm not Spanish.

But, well, French bureaucracy... ()

BTW, AFAIK, you can still reach Paris by following the "N20" number (from Andorra, etc), or the "N10" one (from the Basque Country)
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #3729
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

Only 109 km out of the original 855 kilometers is still signed N20 between Paris and Bourg-Madame. The same goes for N10, only 331 km is still signed N10 out of the original 750 kilometers between Paris and Hendaye.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

parcdesprinces, VITORIA MAN liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #3730
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #3731
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A352 Strasbourg - Molsheim

A352 is a short autoroute west of Strasbourg, from A35 at Duppigheim to Molsheim. It opened to traffic in 1988.

A352-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A352-7 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #3732
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, he has a point, the route nationale numbering plan was easy to follow and logical (for the most part).

The N-numbers are now often 3/4-digit D-numbers. N29 = D1029, etc. Luckily we still have the green signs to navigate across the secondary road network.
The French road numbering is now more logical than prior the down-grading. With the construction of the motorways many sections of the Route Nationale network simply lost their national significance. Yet, they kept their number. That made them look awkward and completely out of place. The shifting of the ownership to the départements and the consequential renumbering was the only logic step.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #3733
sotonsi

Next to autoroutes isn't that bad to have detrunked, and thus renumbered due to the way French roads are numbered by who is responsible for maintaining it, but not all the downgraded routes are. The former N29 that is still E44 is rather silly.

There's also the issue that many autoroutes are tolled and so 'shunpiking' is in the national interest to some extent (eg Spain's Autopista are mostly shadowed by N roads, if not A roads created by the N road being upgraded).

Then there's the downgraded network keeping old numbers - eg the route between the A16 and Boulogne Port being the ~1km N416 and then a ~1km section of N1 sandwiched between D roads. There's also stuff like the N1xxx series of bypasses (N568 split in two by the N1568 that opened several years ago IIRC) and the N249 being the bits of the N149 corridor heading SE from Nantes that have been upgraded. Keeping kilometrage from changing is more important than navigation.

Even the Autoroutes aren't immune with the A71 become A75 randomly - as it always has. It's not the end of the tolled route, it's not where the former A72 (now A89) splits. It's not even different time periods with the road either side of the junction where the number changes opening at the same time.

I can understand the A6 becoming the A7 at Lyon, and the A10 becoming the A63 at Bordeaux (less so on the latter, though the A630/N230 (grr - so close with the number, yet so far) ring breaking it is good) but there's tons of changes in numbers that don't make sense now. The N70-N80 has it's own junction numbering scheme, but not one consistent number (OK, E607, but the French aren't Belgians/Nordic).

The French N/A numbering systems are easy to follow and logical. French N/A road numbers on the ground, however, often try hard to undermine that. It's far from the worst road numbering, but it doesn't live up to its potential.

Penn's Woods, geogregor liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #3734
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

So then.... let me understand... a lot of national road have been degraded to departement roads renumering as D-XXYY where XX = departement, same remains, and I guess google maps will not be updated.

Am I wrong?

@parcdesprinces, I guess you got wrong forumer to deal about borders regarding topic...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #3735
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
...There's also the issue that many autoroutes are tolled and so 'shunpiking' is in the national interest to some extent (eg Spain's Autopista are mostly shadowed by N roads, if not A roads created by the N road being upgraded)....

Isn’t there, or wasn’t there in the past, an actual requirement in French road signage rules that when a destination is posted via a toll road, they have to or had to give an alternate route? “DIJON par RN,” that sort of thing?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #3736
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
So then.... let me understand... a lot of national road have been degraded to departement roads renumering as D-XXYY where XX = departement, same remains, and I guess google maps will not be updated.

Am I wrong?

@parcdesprinces, I guess you got wrong forumer to deal about borders regarding topic...

You’re slightly wrong: the XX doesn’t indicate the département. In a lot of cases, they’ve just converted the old national number to a three-digit number beginning with 9. The N29 might be the D929. But that doesn’t seem to be consistent in all départements.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #3737
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I was just joking around anyway.. so nothing serious.
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #3738
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Say what? Quite the contrary actually, straight roads are forbidden in France
There are many long straights on French ordinary roads (not motorways). Even in non-downgraded routes départementales. France was the first European country to systematically design and build modern roads and this legacy remains today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Don't worry dear Catalan friend, we are about to close -again- the Franco-Spanish border (just like we did during your first civil war)... so you won't have to complain about the French roads! = Problem solved!

Fine. There are too many French tourists in Barcelona. And I'm sick of them. Last year I crashed into a French SUV because its driver jumped on the brakes when he saw the light turning yellow (and we were both going to get through!). And last week some drugged French youth nearly ran me over with his rental while driving like... well, what he was, on a residential street.

Plus, we can't pay rent anymore because you guys need hotels and Airbnb acommodation.

So go ahead.

Old November 6th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #3739
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You’re slightly wrong: the XX doesn’t indicate the département.
yep, there are 3-digit and 4-digit D routes and they are only unique within each departements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
In a lot of cases, they’ve just converted the old national number to a three-digit number beginning with 9.
Beginning with 6. Minimum in the north-east....

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #3740
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It varies by department. 6, 8, 9, 10, 20 and others are used. In Cambrai, the former N43 is numbered D2643. Despite the renumbering, the former N-roads are typically still the higher standard and more important regional links in a department and across departmental borders. Many more routes nationales were renumbered than just the ones running parallel to an autoroute. Some 20,000 kilometers of routes nationales were transferred to the departments in 2006.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post

Tags
france