daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3801
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
France has lots of speed traps, but they would be better adopting more section control instead of fixed radars in certain areas. Generally, I think section control is much more effective and fair as speed enforcement unless there is a specific local reduction on speed due to a tight curve or something like that.
There are a lot of average speed cameras in France. They started to appear 2-3 years ago and now they are everywhere. It's not like Tutor in Italy but French drivers are way more respectful with the rules than the Italian ones.

Suburbanist liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #3802
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7450

Bris:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
There, if you still falsely believe that the reduction of speed on non-motorways to 80 km/h is a big plot by politicians in cahoots with motorway owners to bring motorists into motorways: http://www.liberation.fr/france/2017...stifie_1618294

The power of the 'road security' lobby is just dreadful.

In the article we learn that the next step advocated by these ayatollahs is to bring the speed to 70 km/h on all non-motorway roads (plus 120 km/h on motorways, as I've already said). Given that no government has resisted them in more than 20 years now, we'll probably have a general 70 km/h speed limit within a few years...

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

Sesto Elemento está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:09 PM   #3803
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A49 Valence - Grenoble

I took some photos of A49 last September, on my way from Gorges du Tarn to Alpe-d'Huez. A49 runs along the north side of the Vercors Mountains, along the Isère River.

A49-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-15 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-19 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-21 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-27 by European Roads, on Flickr

A49-29 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #3804
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7450

The prime minister "ready to be unpopular".
Quote:
80 km/h speed limit: Prime Minister Edouard Philippe says he's ready to be unpopular

Le Figaro
January 7, 2018

"I know that if we announce this measure I will be criticized. But I know it's going to save lives (...) I understand the counter-arguments, and even the bad mood, but I'm not doing it to increase the revenue of the state, "says the prime minister in the JDD.

In an attempt to curb the increase in the number of road deaths, the government is expected to announce on Tuesday the reduction to 80 km/h of the maximum speed on 400,000 km of secondary roads. The Conseil national de la sécurité routière (CNRS, literally "National Council on Road Security") - a purely advisory body - had already advocated this reduction in speed in 2013. Instead of following it, the government at the time had chosen, much later, in 2015, a two-year experiment on four transit roads across France. Against this measure, the association 40 Million Motorists has launched a petition which adds up to that launched previously by the Drivers Defense League, which had already gathered 1.5 million signatures.

"I know that if we announce this measure I will be criticized. But I know it will save lives, and I want to save lives. I understand the counter-arguments, and even the bad mood, but I do not do it to increase the revenues of the state - besides, we will announce things regarding this issue. And if in order to save lives one must be unpopular, then I accept to be unpopular, "pleads the prime minister.

To reporters asking him if it is always necessary in France to use prohibitions to obtain results, the head of the government replies that "there are 3,500 deaths and 70,000 wounded every year, 70,000! After decades of progress, our results have deteriorated. Well, I refuse to consider this an inevitability. Whenever a politician has had the courage to act, the results have been spectacular."

[...]

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fra...mpopulaire.php
Road deaths is only the 24th cause of mortality in France. Tobacco and alcohol kill much MUCH more people than roads in France, but somehow the prime minister is not yet ready to accept to be "unpopular" with the wine producers and café owners (who make a mockery of the law supposedly banning smoking in cafés and restaurants).

Perhaps it should be added that in France, contrary to the Scandinavian countries, most politicians have an official chauffeur, so they won't be affected personally by the reduction in the speed limit, since they don't drive themselves.

This is the petition by the Drivers Defense League. They have relaunched their petition, and they now have more than 2 million signatures, and rising: https://www.liguedesconducteurs.org/...ns_de_vitesse/

In any case this speed reduction thing is a perfect example of wrong priorities: instead of spending time, energy, and money to combat the 23 more frequent causes of mortality in France, the governments in the past 15 years have focused most of their efforts on a rather minor cause of mortality. From a rational point of view it makes 0 sense. This is of course linked with France's crypto-marxism and the dislike of the individual liberty associated with the automobile. All our Left-wingers in the past 20 years have recycled their Communism into "environmental" and "road security" causes, as a new way to push for their dream of a collectivist society.

Even the Right-wing politicians have now become contaminated (as our prime-minister), because of a Statist tradition strong among the Right-wing parties which, since as far back as Louis XIV, has always sought to control the subjects citizens and their activities, and dislikes private initiative and uncontrolled movement, of which the automobile is such a symbol (let's keep in mind that not so long ago France used to have internal passports and checkpoints at the entrance of cities to check all vehicles and tax the goods entering the cities: the infamous "octroi").

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

Bender, sponge_bob, mrsmartman liked this post
Sesto Elemento está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:46 PM   #3805
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesto Elemento View Post
The prime minister "ready to be unpopular".

Road deaths is only the 24th cause of mortality in France. Tobacco and alcohol kill much MUCH more people than roads in France, but somehow the prime minister is not yet ready to accept to be "unpopular" with the wine producers and café owners (who make a mockery of the law supposedly banning smoking in cafés and restaurants).

Perhaps it should be added that in France, contrary to the Scandinavian countries, most politicians have an official chauffeur, so they won't be affected personally by the reduction in the speed limit, since they don't drive themselves.

This is the petition by the Drivers Defense League. They have relaunched their petition, and they now have more than 2 million signatures, and rising: https://www.liguedesconducteurs.org/...ns_de_vitesse/

In any case this speed reduction thing is a perfect example of wrong priorities: instead of spending time, energy, and money to combat the 23 more frequent causes of mortality in France, the governments in the past 15 years have focused most of their efforts on a rather minor cause of mortality. From a rational point of view it makes 0 sense. This is of course linked with France's crypto-marxism and the dislike of the individual liberty associated with the automobile. All our Left-wingers in the past 20 years have recycled their Communism into "environmental" and "road security" causes, as a new way to push for their dream of a collectivist society.

Even the Right-wing politicians have now become contaminated (as our prime-minister), because of a Statist tradition strong among the Right-wing parties which, since as far back as Louis XIV, has always sought to control the subjects citizens and their activities, and dislikes private initiative and uncontrolled movement, of which the automobile is such a symbol (let's keep in mind that not so long ago France used to have internal passports and checkpoints at the entrance of cities to check all vehicles and tax the goods entering the cities: the infamous "octroi").
Wow, take a breath, relax. WeÂ’re talking about moving up your foot from the gas pedal just a little bit so that the speedometer needle moves back from 90 to 80. Yes you can! If really this seems to be a serious threat to your freedom, I would suggest to move to another country. But you will have to avoid at least part of Belgium (in the flemish region itÂ’s 70 kph), Sweeden (70 kph on undivided roads), switzerland, norway, malta, finland, the netherlands and part of denmark(80 kph). Even in Germany where the standard speed limit on undivided roads is 100 kph, there are countless sections where it is set to 80 or 70! And those people are still happy...

g.spinoza liked this post
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #3806
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Sweden is also in the process of reducing many 90km/h roads to 80km/h.
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #3807
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Sweden is also in the process of reducing many 90km/h roads to 80km/h.
hello, this isn't correct then? http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_s..._limits_en.htm
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #3808
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A680

A declaration of public utility (DUP) has been issued on 22 December 2017 for the expansion of A680 to a four lane autoroute, plus an interchange that will replace the roundabout at the end at Verfeil.

Presently, A680 is a two-lane autoroute. That is not entirely uncommon in France, but rare. It feeds into A68 to Toulouse. A680 will become a part of a new autoroute to Castres.

Old January 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM   #3809
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilamoroso View Post
Even in Germany where the standard speed limit on undivided roads is 100 kph, there are countless sections where it is set to 80 or 70! And those people are still happy...
Only when there is an intersection or a "good reason".
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:38 PM   #3810
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Wow, take a breath, relax. WeÂ’re talking about moving up your foot from the gas pedal just a little bit so that the speedometer needle moves back from 90 to 80. Yes you can! If really this seems to be a serious threat to your freedom, I would suggest to move to another country. But you will have to avoid at least part of Belgium (in the flemish region itÂ’s 70 kph), Sweeden (70 kph on undivided roads), switzerland, norway, malta, finland, the netherlands and part of denmark(80 kph). Even in Germany where the standard speed limit on undivided roads is 100 kph, there are countless sections where it is set to 80 or 70! And those people are still happy...
Driving 80 km/h in France's long, straight and high-standard roads (often with 3 or 4 lanes) is nonsense. Even 90 feels too slow. It's just a measure to force traffic into autoroutes. There will be no decrease in road deaths.

80 may be okay in countries with a higher population density and where trips on two-lane roads are shorter (the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany...). But in big, empty France, it has absolutely no sense.

MrAkumana, Bender, flierfy, sponge_bob liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:49 AM   #3811
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9955

()

P.S.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:47 PM   #3812
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:

OT, but just to explain: the speeds shown there are known as "base speeds" ("Bashastighet" in SE). That means unless other speed limit has been posted on the urban/rural/motorway stretch you drive upon this is the base speed you should follow (and in most cases the speed limits are different from the base speed so you rarely have to keep this in mind - When speed limits are not posted it is mostly the case of some rural roads with low AADT and often with gravel ).
Grotlaufen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:45 PM   #3813
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N88 St. Étienne - Le Puy

Construction will commence in 2018 on the N88 four laning between Yssingeaux and Bessamorel. Earthworks will be done during 2018 and full-scale construction commences in 2019. No estimated date of completion is given, but I suppose it won't be until 2022 or so, given the large bridge at Bessamorel that needs a second span.

http://www.zoomdici.fr/actualite/Mis...-id162649.html

Old January 12th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #3814
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
This has already been commented on, and it's still OT, but to add some more details: Sweden's base 70 km/h limit isn't typically found on average main roads. Traditionally, these had a 90 km/h limit, and many still do, but 80 km/h is more and more common. However, many two-lane roads (mainly) in the northern part of the country has a 100 km/h limit, since AADT is fairly low (back in the day, these even had a 110 km/h limit). In addition, an increasing number of regular roads are divided 2+1 roads where the speed limit generally is 100 or 110 km/h. The situation in Finland is somewhat similar, even though the base limit is 80 km/h, many regular roads have a 100 km/h limit.

The point is this: Base speed limit isn't a particularly reasonable way of comparing actual speed limits between countries. Sweden's rural speed limits are in reality on par with or even higher than on similar roads in other European countries, not lower.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:50 AM   #3815
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

I thought base limit was always the maximum one...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #3816
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Nope. I.e. Denmark the base limit for rural non-motorway roads is 80 km/h, but you can find quite a few 90 km/h roads and now also a few 100 km/h roads.

Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #3817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mont Aigoual

Mont Aigoual (1567 m) in the Cévennes. You can drive all the way to the top. It is the highest point of the Gard department and the wettest place in France, with 2000 mm of precipitation per year, with 600 mm in October and November alone.

Mont Aigoual-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Mont Aigoual-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Mont Aigoual-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Mont Aigoual-3 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:00 PM   #3818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A89/A6 link on the north side of Lyon will open 'in less than a month'.

http://www.leprogres.fr/rhone-69/201...aison-a-89-a-6

This will significantly benefit regional traffic in the Lyon area, but also long-distance traffic. East-west traffic has always been cumbersome in Lyon, the road system was designed for north-south traffic but east-west had no direct connections. Even today a trip from Genève to Clermont-Ferrand will require a maze of A40-A42-A46-A466-A6-A89 with numerous turning movements. But at least it can be done on a motorway that doesn't stray so far south as A47 to Saint Étienne.
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:41 PM   #3819
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Even in Italy we can have 70 kph on urban roads with at least two lanes per direction (strade urbane di scorrimento).

https://www.google.it/maps/@45.73482...7i13312!8i6656
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:43 AM   #3820
nevad

Likes (Received): 5

M6007:
Monte Carlo (MON) - Avenue Princesse Alice
Nice (FRA) - VIEILLE VILLE (Rue Rossetti)
Distance: 19,5 KM

Suburbanist, parcdesprinces, Luki_SL liked this post
nevad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france