daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #401
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Very nice pic. I've also heard about the accident in our media.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #402
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

frankly, i ahd no idea that Paris has such skyscrapers, i thought that only Frankfurt has that american shape of all european cities
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #403
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

@Verso: I read about it too, in the morning paper. It has made some impact in Europe, by the looks of it. When there was a major pile-up in the Czech Republic last march, I didn't read anything about it. I guess the papers still don't care about the former communists
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #404
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ It surprises me how western European media are more interested in what happens in Tanzania, Ecuador or Bangladesh than eastern Europe. I never see BBC teletext, for example, reporting anything about us. Let's see, if they'll notice their Queen visiting us tomorrow. But that's completely OT here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #405
x-type
con los terroristas

interesting - here we heard a lot about accident in Czech Rep. but i haven't heard too much about this one in France. i remember that they wrote much about accident in Italy at A4, too
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM   #406
Timon91
Error

You mean this one:
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM   #407
x-type
con los terroristas

yeah
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM   #408
Morsue

Holy shit! How many were killed? In terms of scariness that one's almost at par with the video of the Polish tornado.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM   #409
Morsue

Seven people I understand now. Really chilling stuff. And all because of a blown out tyre it seems.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM   #410
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
frankly, i ahd no idea that Paris has such skyscrapers, i thought that only Frankfurt has that american shape of all european cities
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Many European cities have skyscrapers. Think of Moscow, Rotterdam, London, Warsaw etc.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM   #412
Timon91
Error

Some cities (like Paris) don't have the skyscrapers in the centre of the city, but in a separate part of the city. That's also why it doesn't have the skyscraper reputation.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #413
sotonsi

On thing I've noticed about French Autoroutes is the plethora of them covering routes that have regional importance, but low traffic - eg the A85 and A28. It seems like the French have this plan for a fully complete network and are going ahead in a way that over 'La Manche' people would complain heavily about. Good on France!

France seems to have a vision that the UK doesn't - they go "the West Coast is a bit hard to get to from the Swiss border, lets build some expressways/autoroutes that link them" And we have the N249, N145, A83 proposed extension, etc. The UK would go "East Anglia is a bit badly connected to the north - I know, lets fix that awful junction between the M1, M6 and A14 and make it easier - I don't think we'd need a road that links the two directly, going west then north is as good as going north west". Many motorways/expressways in the UK carry too much importance - they aren't the link between one region and a few others, they are the link between one region and about half the country.

Does anyone have a map that has French projects/plans on. I have one, only it's a couple of years out of date and doesn't have the latest plans on.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM   #414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

France still has huge areas without motorways though. The reason France needs a lot of otherwise quiet motorways is tourism. Tourism is very important for the French economy and in Europe, most people travel by car. The flow of Dutch tourists alone is very impressive, I once drove the A6 between Lyon and Dijon and at least half of the traffic was Dutch.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #415
Timon91
Error

People 'en route' to the sun
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #416
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone knows the A89 from Bordeaux to Perigueux? I'm going to Bordeaux this weekend (by plane), and I'm going to rent a car and drive around nice wine villages, but I would also like to see some nice motorways.
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A89 is completed. Only the first few kilometers to Libourne from Bordeaux is the N89 expressway I believe...
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM   #418
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
France still has huge areas without motorways though. The reason France needs a lot of otherwise quiet motorways is tourism. Tourism is very important for the French economy and in Europe, most people travel by car. The flow of Dutch tourists alone is very impressive, I once drove the A6 between Lyon and Dijon and at least half of the traffic was Dutch.
I'm not knocking it at all - there's no need to defend it. I'm impressed by it - it's what stands out from a quick glance. French policy would mean that places like Skegness would get a voie express at least if the UK adopted French policy. Not to mention the difference to the Hastings/Bexhill area.

The UK actually (if you allow Brittany to have it's renumbering) has more areas without motorways. If you do a map of "within 30 minutes to a motorway junction" a greater proportion of France would be covered than the UK, and quite possibly, a greater proportion of France than the UK even if you remove the Highlands of Scotland. England would also have a larger population outside the '30 minutes' mark - places like Plymouth, Ipswich, Norwich, Aberdeen and Inverness are outside the range (and Peckham, Lambeth, Brixton, etc). Lincoln is on the boundary IIRC. These are all large places, but are quite a way away from a motorway.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM   #419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But they have dual carriageways right? Sometimes those are almost equivalent to motorways.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #420
sotonsi

but the French have the same thing... Ipswich is like Anglomene - no blue signs for quite a way, but linked to the network rather well (and better than Plymouth, etc). The proportion of 'VE' to motorways is about the same in both countries, IIRC. However there's also plans for places like Cherbourg to be added to the Autoroute network, whereas there's no plans to add anywhere of size to the UK motorway network, just fill in the gaps.

If we add within 30 minutes of a 'VE' junction onto the map, near enough the whole of mainland France would be on there - a few places in the mountains perhaps wouldn't. However, Inverness (if you ignore it's bypass) would still be on there, as would North Devon, Mid- and much of North Wales, Skegness and that East Coast would still be on there, as would Scarborough (I forgot that one). OK, most of the significant places are back on the map, however there's still quite a lot that isn't. With the mountains, you could excuse the terrain, with North Devon and the East Coast you really can't!

Tags
france