daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #501
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm planning a Switzerland - Brest trip. About 1.300 kilometers, but I might want to hang around in the Auvergne, so it's gonna be longer
Nice, I've been there. Be sure to visit Clermont Ferrand and Le Puy

Quote:
Me too, I've never been to Bretagne
I've been there in 2007, be sure to visit St. Malo
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM   #502
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Is St. Malo that place with an extreme tide? I've heard that somewhere in Bretagne the sea recedes a km or so during ebb.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM   #503
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Is St. Malo that place with an extreme tide? I've heard that somewhere in Bretagne the sea recedes a km or so during ebb.
That's Mont Saint-Michel.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #504
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244805

Beautiful country roads next time please post some paved road...
(Tip: like Paris-Roubaix cycling tour paved roads)
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The A31 is now 2x3 between A5 and A39 (Langres - Dijon)

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #506
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Beautiful country roads next time please post some paved road...
(Tip: like Paris-Roubaix cycling tour paved roads)
Oh, I see. I was going to say "but all the roads I posted are paved", but I see you mixed up terms. In English, "paved" means a road covered with asphalt or any other cover, as opposed to a dirt road. All the roads I posted are paved (in France there remain only very few unpaved roads; but there are still a few, if you look for them carefully ).

What you meant by "paved road" is actually called "cobbled road" in English. There are indeed some cobbled roads in Picardy, Artois, and French Flanders, to the very north of France, made famous by the Paris-Roubaix cycling race, but these cobbled roads are not open to car traffic. Only mountain bikes and people on foot or horses can go on them.

Here are two such cobbled roads, near Lille:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #507
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
The A31 is now 2x3 between A5 and A39 (Langres - Dijon)
They are also planning to make the A61 between Toulouse and Narbonne entirely 2x3 from what I've heard.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #508
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
They are also planning to make the A61 between Toulouse and Narbonne entirely 2x3 from what I've heard.
Then they need to complete the A9 as 2x3 from the Spanish border up until Orange. I know that the Spanish are turning the AP-7 on the other side of the border to 2x3 all the way to Barcelona (if not Tarragona), with a 2x4 section around Girona. The A9 can be extremely crowded in summer.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #509
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Then they need to complete the A9 as 2x3 from the Spanish border up until Orange.

The A9 has been 2x3 for as long as I've known it.

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #510
Morsue

As you can read from the map it's only 2x2 south of Perpignan and north of Nimes. The northern section is trickier since it involves building a new bridge over the Rhône.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #511
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've been on the entire A9. The part south of Perpignan is problematic, long waiting lines at toll booths and the Spanish border. But yes, they should make it 2x3. The Nîmes - Orange portion of A9 is one of the less busier parts though, quite some traffic heads eastbound to Nice.

I think they should widen the entire A10 to 2x3 too. I know average traffic volumes don't need it, but when you're paying tolls in summer, it's ridiculous to have traffic jams of dozens of kilometers long. You're not getting what you're paying for in the summer peaks.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #512
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I love this picture. It kind of reminds me of Bain's Kloof Pass near Cape Town.

Also, I agree with you about less major roads being nicer some of the time. One of the nicest drives I've ever had was on Wombeyan Caves Road, which is about 100 km of dirt road southwest of Sydney that you can't really drive faster than 60 km/h on, and due to the fact that parts of it are very windy and narrow your average speed is more like 30 or 40. It took me about three hours to drive that whole road (it was at night, too); by the time I was done I had had enough driving for the moment and sped back on the Hume Highway at 140.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #513
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
As you can read from the map it's only 2x2 south of Perpignan and north of Nimes. The northern section is trickier since it involves building a new bridge over the Rhône.
Quote:
I've been on the entire A9. The part south of Perpignan is problematic, long waiting lines at toll booths and the Spanish border. But yes, they should make it 2x3. The Nîmes - Orange portion of A9 is one of the less busier parts though, quite some traffic heads eastbound to Nice.

I think they should widen the entire A10 to 2x3 too. I know average traffic volumes don't need it, but when you're paying tolls in summer, it's ridiculous to have traffic jams of dozens of kilometers long. You're not getting what you're paying for in the summer peaks.
Only two small sections of the A9 are still 2x2. I've checked on the French motorway forums (there are quite a few autoroute geeks in France apparently, with French autoroute forums almost as busy as SSC ), and the widening of these two sections is planned. So Perpignan-Le Perthus and Orange-Remoulins will become 2x3 before 2015.

Here on the map I have shown in orange (orange thick lines) the sections of motorways that are planned to be widened to 2x3 according to the French motorway forums (some are already u/c). I have also indicated in blue (blue thick lines) the new 2x2 motorways that are either u/c or planned.

Old February 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A19 is to be completed in the 2nd half of this year.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #515
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Also, I agree with you about less major roads being nicer some of the time. One of the nicest drives I've ever had was on Wombeyan Caves Road, which is about 100 km of dirt road southwest of Sydney that you can't really drive faster than 60 km/h on, and due to the fact that parts of it are very windy and narrow your average speed is more like 30 or 40. It took me about three hours to drive that whole road (it was at night, too); by the time I was done I had had enough driving for the moment and sped back on the Hume Highway at 140.
If you wanna test your driving skills and your patience, I recommend driving the D619 between Amélie-les-Bains and Ille-sur-Têt. Trust me, it's trying! My cousin almost threw up when we drove there. And when you're in the middle of it, there's no way back, you have to continue till the end.

But wait, the road becomes even more magnificent after Ille-sur-Têt. It's slightly easier driving (well, sort of), but the scenery and landscape are breathtaking. Once in your life you should drive between Prades, Sournia, Trévillach, Ansignan, Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet. After Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet, the Gorges de Galamus is one of the craziest roads in the world, and pretty scarry too! I've driven in Mexico, in California, in the Scottish Highlands, and many other places, but the Gorges de Galamus is just..... you'll see!

You can check all these places I mentioned on www.viamichelin.com
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #516
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
A19 is to be completed in the 2nd half of this year.
I've never understood what was the purpose of that motorway, but anyway!

They should have built the long awaited motorway between Lyon and Toulouse instead. The 2nd and 5th largest metropolitan areas of France still not linked by a motorway.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #517
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244805

Quote:
Here are two such cobbled roads, near Lille:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Thanks brisavoine
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #518
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
If you wanna test your driving skills and your patience, I recommend driving the D619 between Amélie-les-Bains and Ille-sur-Têt. Trust me, it's trying! My cousin almost threw up when we drove there. And when you're in the middle of it, there's no way back, you have to continue till the end.

But wait, the road becomes even more magnificent after Ille-sur-Têt. It's slightly easier driving (well, sort of), but the scenery and landscape are breathtaking. Once in your life you should drive between Prades, Sournia, Trévillach, Ansignan, Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet. After Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet, the Gorges de Galamus is one of the craziest roads in the world, and pretty scarry too! I've driven in Mexico, in California, in the Scottish Highlands, and many other places, but the Gorges de Galamus is just..... you'll see!

You can check all these places I mentioned on www.viamichelin.com
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever visit France, which I would like to someday.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #519
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wish I knew that, I drove on the N116 in August... from Bourg-Madame to Perpignan.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #520
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
The Annecy-Geneva motorway was opened recently.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france