daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #821
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

By the way, soon there will be continous 2x3 motorways from Tarragona to Lille (and probably beyond in Belgium), so it will be much longer than the 2x3 motorway in Algeria.

Here is a map. I have shown in orange (orange thick lines) the sections of motorways that are planned to be widened to 2x3 according to the French motorway forums (some are already u/c). I have also indicated in blue (blue thick lines) the new 2x2 motorways that are either u/c or planned (the one from Geneva to Annecy opened last year, but the map was made before, so it's shown as a blue thick line).

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #822
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for the map. Funny thing, just yesterday I was looking at a French map and wondering if the missing link to close the 4th ring around Paris will ever be built.

Are/were there any plans to extend the A5 towards Mulhouse and CH ?
(probably unlikely, because it may be expensive to cross the Vosges and the route via the A6 is not that far away)
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #823
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Are/were there any plans to extend the A5 towards Mulhouse and CH ?
(probably unlikely, because it may be expensive to cross the Vosges and the route via the A6 is not that far away)
Apparently the A5 will be extended from Langres to Vesoul. Then from Vesoul to Belfort and the Swiss border they will enlarge the national highways to 2x2 standard, but as you know in France that means motorway standard. So in effect there will be a full motorway from the Swiss border to Langres and Paris. It's Sarkozy himself who approved the project after his visit to the Peugeot plant in Vesoul last July (Peugeot people apparently told him they needed the motorway to remain competitive). Until Sarkozy's visit, it was thought the project was frozen due to France's new anti-motorway policies (apparently, those anti-motorway policies are only a gimmick to win Green votes, but the president approves new motorways anyway when needed... French politics' hypocrisy at its best ).

Here you have a map showing the route of that new motorway. The purple part will be a brand new toll motorway built parallel to the old national highway. The blue part would be the old national highway enlarged to motorway standard, and remaining toll free. There are still doubts about that blue part though. Apparently the concessionary that will build the purple part would like to get the toll concession all the way to Lure at least. Also, the French state has no money, so they might decide to have the blue part built by a private concessionary (with toll), parallel to the old national highway (instead of the French state enlarging the old national highway). The purple part will be called A5, but eventually the whole thing (incl. blue part) could also be called A5. It will connect with the new A16 Swiss motorway after Delle. The whole thing (purple + blue) should be finished in 2018.

I have updated the map of France to add this new motorway. Also, I have added several other motorways planned and u/c that were missing on the map. Among these, the two most prominent are the A65 motorway and the RN164 highway.

The A65 motorway started construction last year. It will link Bordeaux to Pau. It will be a toll motorway. It will open to traffic in the first half of 2011. Here you have a map:

The RN164 highway is currently being enlarged to 2x2. It will link Rennes to Brest through the center of Brittany. Toll-free, enlarged by the French state, so it will take time...... Completely enlarged by 2020 maybe. Here is a map showing the sections already enlarged, those being enlarged, and those that will be enlarged.

Ok, so here is the new map with all the changes. I have added some 2x2 express roads that were missing, plus all the u/c and planned motorways. To the best of my knowledge. Remember that orange thick lines are already built motorways that will be enlarged to 2x3, while blue thick lines are motorways either planned or already u/c.

[img]http://i47.************/2uyoa60.jpg[/img]

Last edited by brisavoine; November 30th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #824
max9309

Likes (Received): 0

the widening of A9 to 2X3 between Perpignan and the Spanish border has oficially strated few days ago
it's planed to be opened between Perpignan nord and Perpignan sud in 2013, the whole section is planed to be finished for 2020

official site of ASF about this project (in french): http://www.asf.fr/control/index.aspx...rnet2007.13222
max9309 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #825
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
So this will be the fastest connection between Paris and Berne. I hope it brings more wealth to Jura, crossing it is quite time-consuming. Btw, how is 'Vosges' pronounced? Is it like [vozh]? ('zh' like in 'Brezhnev' or like the second 'g' in 'garage')
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #826
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So this will be the fastest connection between Paris and Berne.
Oui ! Provincial Paris will finally get connected to the alpha global city of Bern.
Quote:
I hope it brings more wealth to Jura, crossing it is quite time-consuming.
Not now that the Swiss have built the new A16 motorway.
Quote:
Btw, how is 'Vosges' pronounced? Is it like [vozh]? ('zh' like in 'Brezhnev' or like the second 'g' in 'garage')
In French these two are pronounced the same. Brejnev and garage are pronounced the same. It's like rouge in English.
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #827
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Oui ! Provincial Paris will finally get connected to the alpha global city of Bern.
I said that because I was in Bern many times, but was always reluctant to go to Paris due to Jura roads, while it's quite a detour over Basel (motorway). But I've been to Paris anyway.

Quote:
Not now that the Swiss have built the new A16 motorway.
A lot of it is still missing though.

Quote:
In French these two are pronounced the same. Brejnev and garage are pronounced the same. It's like rouge in English.
I actually wrote Brezhnev in English and gave garage as another example; anyway, thanks, it's a weird word.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #828
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
[img]http://i47.************/2uyoa60.jpg[/img]
Isn't the blue line just south of Paris already open as the A19? Btw, that A650 south of Pau looks interesting. It could connect to the Spanish A-23 at Somport thus providing a shortcut to central/western Spain from western France.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #829
max9309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Isn't the blue line just south of Paris already open as the A19? Btw, that A650 south of Pau looks interesting. It could connect to the Spanish A-23 at Somport thus providing a shortcut to central/western Spain from western France.
yes A19 has opened in june
A650 it will just be a 2X1 motorway, if the project is launched. but there will still have the main problem of the RN 134 which is unadapted to the important traffic, even if the situation is now a little better with the recently opened Bedous bypass (2X1)
max9309 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM   #830
max9309

important update avillable on Street View
a great part of France is now covered which includes the major part of the motorway network
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM   #831
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #832
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244742

That is Millau bridge, right?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM   #833
max9309

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
That is Millau bridge, right?
yeah
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #834
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max9309 View Post
yeah
How many km is that bridge from one point to other? To help more, exactly as it seen in this photo:
Quote:
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #835
max9309

2.460 m
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #836
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

It's a bit amusing that the aerial Google images show the construction site for the Millau viaduct, but the StreetView images show a fully complete structure. Quite imposing pylons, I must say.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #837
max9309

motorway stretches opened this year

february: A 75 from Pezenas to Valros

june: A 19 between A6 (Courtenay) and A 10 (Artenay)

A 86 first part of the tolled tunnel from Rueil Malmaison(A 86) to A 13 only in the north-> south side and only during the day

july: A 86 opening of the other side, south-> north still during the day only

RN 134 Aire sur Adour bypass, due to be integrated in the future A65 motorway planed for an opening in mid 2011. although the motorway will be tolled, this bypass will stays free cause built by French state monney

A 750 between Gignac and "Mas de Ratte"

the first km of A 43 in Lyon was downgraded into a RN, the RN 2043, so now A 43 begins at it interchange with A 46/RN 346
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #838
Vallex

Now, Most of France can be seen by Google Street View!
(I dont know if you guys have know this before)
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #839
christos-greece
Moderator!

I checking sometimes the Google Street View about France roads/motorways and its indeed that new roads are added...
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #840
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallex View Post
Now, Most of France can be seen by Google Street View!
(I dont know if you guys have know this before)
Yes, I've seen that too! [img]http://i47.************/hvt6cp.gif[/img]

You can now have access to some of the most remote and mysterious roads in France.

[img]http://i50.************/n5h2dk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i45.************/244pa3s.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i47.************/2cct99u.jpg[/img]

Tags
france