daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #881
max9309

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
It is designed for cars only. A new lorry-only tunnel is to be built by 20xx...west of the current tunnel.
if this project is launched, it will be called A 112 cause the tunnel will join the A 12 south of the Roquencourt interchange A 12 x A 13

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #882
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

EDIT
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #883
brisavoine
BANNED

News from French Guiana: the Larivot Bridge, over the Cayenne River, is closed to traffic! This bridge is essential because the main road from Cayenne to Kourou (location of the European Space Center) and western French Guiana goes over this bridge. The bridge was closed by the authorities on November 26 because it threatened to collapse. This has created havoc locally, with people now forced to use backcountry roads in the jungle to go from Cayenne to Kourou and western French Guiana. It must also be a nightmare for Arianespace.

Some situation maps:
[img]http://i45.************/vzuik1.png[/img]

[img]http://i47.************/nbupsx.png[/img]

The bridge:
[img]http://i45.************/2r2vu5v.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i45.************/kdubth.jpg[/img]

image hosted on flickr

The bridge was built in 1976, apparently a bit too hastily (at the time, they never foresaw that by 2009 traffic over the bridge would reach 13,500 vehicles a day), and some cracks have been detected by divers in some of the pylons under the bridge.

Here the faulty pylons with cracks:

The backcountry roads that people now have to use to go west of Cayenne are under the responsibility of the French Guianese department (unlike the Larivot bridge and the main road going over it, which is under the responsibility of the French State), and they were not upgraded in recent years, so they are totally inadequate for the heavy traffic between Cayenne and western French Guiana. This has generated big traffic jams since November 26, with traffic on these backcountry roads going from 1,000 vehicles a day before the bridge was closed to 10,000 vehicles a day now.

Not only that, but those backcountry roads go over bridges that are not meant for heavy trucks. Here below you can see the Cascades Bridge in particular, which is the only remaining bridge enabling land communication between Cayenne and western French Guiana now that the Larivot Bridge is closed. Problem: that bridge can't take trucks over 12 tonnes. As a result, freight destined to western French Guiana is severely hindered (the only seaport in French Guiana is in Cayenne, there is no seaport in western French Guiana), and the shelves of supermarkets in Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni (the subprefecture of western French Guiana) are becoming empty. People in western French Guiana are concerned they'll soon start to lack the minimum necessities of life.

In December they reinforced the Cascades Bridge, so it can now take trucks up to 19 tonnes, and in January they will bring a prefabricated bridge from Metropolitan France that they will put next to the Cascades Bridge to double the structure.

As for the Larivot Bridge, in order to repair it they will set up some metal structures that will support the bridge in the places where the cracked pylons are located. These structures will be brought from Metropolitan France and assembled in French Guiana. Here you have one such structure (the cracked pylons are purple).

Apparently the bridge won't be repaired and reopened to the public until March. In total, it would stay closed to traffic for 3 months then.

Engineers say that the repair could last for 30 years, but authorities are already talking of building a second bridge to replace the Larivot Bridge, seeing that traffic between eastern and western French Guiana is going to increase, especially when the bridge over the Franco-Brazilian border is opened.

The French Army has organized a barge service between both banks of the Cayenne River, borrowing barges from as far as Trinidad, but they can't handle the traffic that previously went over the bridge, so many people still have to use the backcountry roads.

As you can imagine, people on the ground are not happy, especially the people who live in the suburbs of Cayenne on the western bank of the Cayenne River, since they depended on that bridge (those suburbs have appeared in the past 15 years). Now they either have to take the choked backcountry roads through the jungle, which is a 60 km detour (instead of their usual commute of only 5 km), or wait for hours for barges.

They have opened some websites to vent their anger, such as this one called Association des sinistrés du pont du Larivot ("Association of victims of the Larivot Bridge"): http://sinistrespontdularivot.blogspot.com/

Last but not least, the closure of the bridge has reopened the debate about whether to build a seaport in western French Guiana, so that people there don't depend from Cayenne anymore. The seaport would probably be located in Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni.

Last edited by brisavoine; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #884
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Not good
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #885
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4245

Isn't it high time they built a 4 or 6-lane expressway to link Kourou and Cayenne?
I think they should built a sturdy bridge!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #886
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Departmental roads in French overseas territories which are not maintained by the French State are usually like a third world roads. Crap with a lot of potholes.

UPDATE: my bad - main departmental roads are great (I confuse classification system). I had in mind local roads.

Last edited by pijanec; January 4th, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #887
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
Isn't it high time they built a 4 or 6-lane expressway to link Kourou and Cayenne?
I think they should built a sturdy bridge!
Is there enough traffic in French Guiana for that?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #888
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
Departmental roads in French overseas territories which are not maintained by the French State are usually like a third world roads. Crap with a lot of potholes.
That's not the impression I have looking at pictures online.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM   #889
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Is there enough traffic in French Guiana for that?
That bridge has 13,500 vehicles a day like I said. Also, French Guiana's population increases by 3.5% every year.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #890
pijanec

Aren't they trying to stop such a massive immigration in French Guiana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
That's not the impression I have looking at pictures online.
Sorry, my mistake. I checked my travel map and departmental roads are great. Problematic are C-roads (or whatever are they called). The problem is a tropical rain which wash out upper layers of asphalt so they need to freequently repave roads. But I do remember stupidity on departmental road where was like 20 speed humps in 1 km, practically no houses around.

Last edited by pijanec; January 4th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #891
brisavoine
BANNED

Where?
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #892
pijanec

I am not 100% sure as I drove there 2 years ago, but I am quite sure it was D37 between Petite Anse and Les Anses-D'Arlet in Martinique. Even very steep parts of the road (I had to drive in 1st gear) and in front of every curve there was a speed hump.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #893
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
That bridge has 13,500 vehicles a day like I said. Also, French Guiana's population increases by 3.5% every year.
That's not much for a 4 or 6 lane expressway.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #894
brisavoine
BANNED

I think he was referring to 2x2 expressways. There are already a few km of 2x2 expressway in the suburbs of Cayenne.

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #895
brisavoine
BANNED

A short video showing some roads in the suburbs of Cayenne:

Traffic in the suburbs of Cayenne during the rainy season:

The only expressway in French Guiana, in the suburbs of Cayenne (only one section of the expressway is shown here):
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #896
brisavoine
BANNED

In this other video you can see some roads in the suburbs of Cayenne, including part of the expressway:

In this one you can see the new road from Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni to Apatou, along the Maroni River and through the jungle. When this video was recorded, the road was still under construction, the pavement was not completed yet, but now it's entirely paved. The cost to build this road was very high. The cost of 1 km of this road = the cost of 1 km of autoroute in Metropolitan France. This road has also been criticized because it cuts through the pristine Amazonian forest, and leads to legal or illegal exploitation of the forest along the road.

Finally in this video you can see some roads first in Cayenne, then in rural French Guiana, notably through the jungle.

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #897
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
I think he was referring to 2x2 expressways. There are already a few km of 2x2 expressway in the suburbs of Cayenne.
That makes more sense
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #898
brisavoine
BANNED

A video recorded last week which shows work going on to repair the Larivot Bridge (see post at the top of this page):

Here, some people have made this video to make fun of their predicament now that the Larivot Bridge is closed:
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #899
brisavoine
BANNED

Several people interviewed last November when the Larivot Bridge was closed. Lots of views of the roads around Cayenne in that video.

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #900
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244685

I also think that in the area 4 lanes road (2x2) is needed...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france