daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1081
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A620 Toulouse

As we're on a new page now, I decided to post a small set of pictures of the A620 around Toulouse, the western part of the ringroad.

A map:

[img]http://i30.************/2wdqa75.jpg[/img]

The pictures:

1. 2×3.

image hosted on flickr

2. No jams, so a bit oversized clock

image hosted on flickr

3. White signs.

image hosted on flickr

4. Accident on the other side.

image hosted on flickr

5. Luckily it seems like nothing serious has happened.

image hosted on flickr

6. It has caused a traffic jam though.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

8. Passing under a viaduct.

image hosted on flickr

9. Exit to Blagnac Airport. Six years ago I went to Toulouse by plane, it was the last time that I was there.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

11. We follow the direction Montauban/Bordeaux.

image hosted on flickr

12. Leaving the A620 for the A62.

image hosted on flickr

That's it, hope you liked it!

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #1082
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

I've read somewhere Toulouse is the most American city of Europe due to suburban sprawl and massive shopping malls.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1083
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

But it has an historic core, while american cities don't have .
And I want to go to Tarbes (Which is twinned with Huesca ) and Tournefeuille (And my art of mapping, as well to Olot...)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1084
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
But it has an historic core, while american cities don't have .
Huh?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1085
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Re the A620 photos, an observation and a question:

The comment -
If I had time, I'd look for the post on another thread where Chris said, find me a place in France where route numbers aren't shown. Well, it looks like the A620 is not posted as such - it's the Périphérique and E9. Also, a lot of those exits (not just from the A620, but from the A64, from other autoroutes I've seen photos of...) must lead to roads that are numbered, at least as departmentals. (In a couple of cases, I've seen signs with a bunch of destinations and a European number sitting on top. I've got to believe that where there's a European number, there's a domestic one too.) In the US, you'd get those route numbers as well as a town or too: Americans driving in France be advised - you can't just look at a map and say "I'll exit the A-whatever at the D-whatever" - the "D-whatever" is unlikely to be marked as such. At least European countries number exits now; most of them weren't doing that in the '80s, when I started paying attention to this stuff....

The question -
The blue border on certain white signs on the A620: what's that mean?

Nice job on the photos, by the way!
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1086
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
. Saragossa is signed until the border and then it isn't signed until the start of Huesca's bypass. French things...
Hum...in fact, it's a Spanish thing. I think it is understandable because Saragossa and Pau are the control cities in the axe A-23/N 134. The error here occurs right in the border, because in the Spanish side Saragossa is not signed, neither Huesca (both signed in France) but just Jaca – Huesca and Saragossa are only signed in Jaca’s bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The question -
Well, I think it means that that exit is an exit of the périphérique.
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #1087
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So it might be the actual name of the exit (like the "portes" on the Paris Périphérique and some others). I hadn't thought of that.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1088
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
Hum...in fact, it's a Spanish thing. I think it is understandable because Saragossa and Pau are the control cities in the axe A-23/N 134. The error here occurs right in the border, because in the Spanish side Saragossa is not signed, neither Huesca (both signed in France) but just Jaca – Huesca and Saragossa are only signed in Jaca’s bypass.
No. Huesca is signed all the way from South of Pau on E07.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1089
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244688

I have seen that on map; i think that E07 its not a motorway (2x2 lanes) but a single road
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1090
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
So it might be the actual name of the exit (like the "portes" on the Paris Périphérique and some others). I hadn't thought of that.
Yes it is. The names in capital letters in those blue-bordered signs are indeed the neighbourhoods served by the next exit : Empalot, Ponts-Jumeaux, Purpan etc. are all neighbourhoods of Toulouse.

Signage on the western bypass (A620) is rather unique, looks very local with neighbourhoods directions and no road numbers. On the eastern bypass (A61/A62) it is standard signage though.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1091
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian article about French motorway network expansion:
Quote:
France will build another 900 km of motorway

French Ministry of Ecology wants to build yet Hexagon 900 km highway linking the existing sections.

After 13 years break, the French Ministry of Ecology proposes a new project aimed at building 900 kilometers of highway in Hexagon. Do not talk about a new motorway linking France from end to end, but rather to adjust the existing sections meet new security standards.

Also, the 900 km will help to streamline traffic, fewer bottlenecks occurring in these areas and reduce transportation costs. In this project, the 900 km will be distributed in over 19 sectors, size of new sections ranging from 9-160 miles.
source
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1092
ChrisZwolle
Road user

France is whack.

First, they say they won't build a single new kilometer of motorway. Then, they announce several corridor projects, after that, they state most projects will be canceled or postponed. And now, they want to build another 900 kilometers of motorway?

Make up your mind, France!
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1093
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

List of new sections here:

http://www.leblogauto.com/2010/07/la...utoroutes.html
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1094
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

@ Chris: actually, the Government said it wouldn't build new motorways, not that it wouldn't build a single km of motorway. It has always been clear that it would complete existing ones where needed and build several bypasses in some cities, many of them being listed in the link above my message.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #1095
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

How about "autoroutes concédées"? - how does the financing on those work? If there is a question of whether 900 km of new autoroute is going to be built or not because of the government's financial difficulties and priorities, are autoroutes concédées affected by that too? (Or are the government's finances the issue here?)

More generally, what is the process with those - I assume the government decides that an autoroute needs de be built along a given corridor - maybe they even decide the route number - and there's a bidding process to determine who gets to build and operate it?

(For those unfamiliar with the term "autoroute concédées", I'm talking about the highways operated by private, or partially-private, companies like Autoroutes du Sud de France, which are generally speaking toll roads. I'm not sure what a good English translation for "concédées" would be - maybe "franchised.")
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1096
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I always wondering what happens with my tolls in France. Is it just financing some CEO's 7-digit paycheck? Some concessionaires are barely building new motorways. Granted, toll roads are always in excellent condition, however, having toll roads should make the French government also able to fund much more non-toll projects as they don't have the financial burden of building and maintaining most of the non-urban Autoroute network.
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1097
max9309

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
How about "autoroutes concédées"? - how does the financing on those work? If there is a question of whether 900 km of new autoroute is going to be built or not because of the government's financial difficulties and priorities, are autoroutes concédées affected by that too? (Or are the government's finances the issue here?)

More generally, what is the process with those - I assume the government decides that an autoroute needs de be built along a given corridor - maybe they even decide the route number - and there's a bidding process to determine who gets to build and operate it?

(For those unfamiliar with the term "autoroute concédées", I'm talking about the highways operated by private, or partially-private, companies like Autoroutes du Sud de France, which are generally speaking toll roads. I'm not sure what a good English translation for "concédées" would be - maybe "franchised.")
I know that for some project the governement has to do some "gifts" to the concessionnaire to have the motorway built, for example i'ts the case for the A5 project towards Vesoul, where the governement will build Port Sur Saonne bypass (100 M€ planned in the next PDMI) which will be integrated in the autoroute
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1098
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Does anyone have updated on the A65 between Langon and Pau? My Michelin atlas says "Open 11/2010".

Is it for real? Usually Michelin doesn't put that unrealistic dates, and only releases them once the road is in its final stages of completion!

With this motorway, a third fast link between Spain and France comes a bit close (pity that Spain had to postpone some works on their Huesca-Jaca-Somport sector), but I guess pushing the motorway toward the Somport tunnel will be quite a challenge.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #1099
ChrisZwolle
Road user

French Wikipedia isn't sure, they say either december 2010 (seems optimistic) or the first half of 2011.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1100
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
It's just the name of the neighborhood that the exit leads to.

Last edited by brisavoine; August 13th, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france