daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1161
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

So its a guessing game now?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1162
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4245

It is very likely it is La Réunion island.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1163
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
So its a guessing game now?
Pretty much, yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
It is very likely it is La Réunion island.
One was shot in La Réunion, the other no.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1164
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4245

Any road pictures of our forthcoming 101st département Mayotte
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1165
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244688

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Une route au Paradis.
[img]http://i38.************/4r5p46.jpg[/img]

Good night!
French Polynesia?
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1166
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Martinique
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A88 Falaise - Argentan will be inaugurated on the 26th.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1168
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A88 Falaise - Argentan will be inaugurated on the 26th.

Back when I was a very young child, when my parents travelled from Toulouse to Sées there was no motorway at all on that route. It was a real expedition through the Massif Central, then the Loire Valley, and finally the grazing meadows of Maine and Normandy. It took us a full day to reach Sées (I usually puked around Cahors due to the many curves, lol).

Needless to say, Normandy with its grey skies, green meadows, and dairy cows looked to me as exotic as the Sahara desert or some tropical islands. The huge dairy cows actually scared me to death.

Now we could travel on motorways from beginning to end to reach Sées - what a change! - but unfortunately all our old relatives there died years ago, and we have no reason to travel there anymore.

PS: Someday I'll have to tell you about the Battle of Normandy and my family's rather chaotic experience of it, including a top German field marshal and some German troops looting alcohool reserves just like in the movies ...
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #1169
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
French Polynesia?
Yes. The picture was taken in the heavenly island of Moorea.
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1170
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Back when I was a very young child, when my parents travelled from Toulouse to Sées there was no motorway at all on that route. It was a real expedition through the Massif Central, then the Loire Valley, and finally the grazing meadows of Maine and Normandy. It took us a full day to reach Sées (I usually puked around Cahors due to the many curves, lol).

Needless to say, Normandy with its grey skies, green meadows, and dairy cows looked to me as exotic as the Sahara desert or some tropical islands. The huge dairy cows actually scared me to death.

Now we could travel on motorways from beginning to end to reach Sées - what a change! - but unfortunately all our old relatives there died years ago, and we have no reason to travel there anymore.

PS: Someday I'll have to tell you about the Battle of Normandy and my family's rather chaotic experience of it, including a top German field marshal and some German troops looting alcohool reserves just like in the movies ...
waiting for that!
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1171
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

N-164

I notice the N-164 between Cahtêaullin and Montauban-de-Bretagne is a sequence of 2X2 sectors and 2X1 ones. There is no apparent logic to explain why some sectors are wider than others.

Is there any plan to widen the remaining 2X1 sectors? Then we would have an alternative route to Brest from Rennes - indeed, a shorter one.

I also notice that those 2X2 routes are note "autoroute". Any plans to bring them up to autoroute standards (N24, N12, N165) and charge tolls?
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1172
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 920

Talking about guessing...you didn't tell us where is this section, Brisavoine!

Quote:
The most dangerous motorway in France.

TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I notice the N-164 between Cahtêaullin and Montauban-de-Bretagne is a sequence of 2X2 sectors and 2X1 ones. There is no apparent logic to explain why some sectors are wider than others.

Is there any plan to widen the remaining 2X1 sectors? Then we would have an alternative route to Brest from Rennes - indeed, a shorter one.
There are two major highways between Rennes and Brest; N12 and N164. N164 is slightly shorter (around 10 km), but is indeed substandard for a long-distance route. I believe there are also plans for a southern bypass of St. Brieuc in the N12 Voie Expresse, because the current route is saturated, but mostly situated on a tall viaduct, so expansion is not possible.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1174
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohrAlkimista View Post
Talking about guessing...you didn't tell us where is this section, Brisavoine!
It is in Réunion island.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1175
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
between Cahtêaullin and
It's funny how non-Francophones always seem to mix up the accents. Even those who learnt French at school mix them up. In fact I often find the French accents put randomly on the wrong letters even in the most serious Anglo-Saxon newspapers, despite the ease to find the correct spelling online these days.

So let's recap some very simple rules to become a perfect French accentuateur:
- accute accent is used only on the "e", never on any other letter, and it's only on the "e" to indicate a close [e] sound (as in German "eh", which is French "é"). When the sound is not a close [e], there is no accute accent. Hence mérveille (which I once read in the Guardian) is wrong, there is no accent there, since the sound is open [ɛ], not close [e].

- grave accent is used on the "e" to indicate an open [ɛ] sound (as in English "bed"). However this accent is often omitted when the "e" is followed by a consonant (so for example we write "mer" without the grave accent, even though the sound is really an open [ɛ]). Appart from this use over the "e", the grave accent is only ever used in two other cases. Over "a" to distinguish some homophones, such as à (at) and a (letter a, no particular meaning in French), and over the "u" of où to distinguish où (where) and ou (or). In these two cases the accent is purely stylistic, it doesn't change the sound of the vowel.

- circumflex accent is used only for etymological reason, it doesn't change the sound of the vowels anymore. In a lot of cases it indicates a loss of consonant "s" after the vowel. The "s" vowel was kept in English words borrowed from French, so if you know English it's easy to guess where the circumflex accent should be. Thus in the example above, given that we have English castle, it's quite obvious that the circumflex accent in French should be over the "a", hence château, and not chatêau (other examples: beast and bête, forest and forêt, feast and fête, host and hôte, hostel and hôtel, hospital and hôpital, etc.). In a few other cases the circumflex accent is used to distinguish two homophones, for example sur (on, upon) and sûr (secure, certain), du (of the) and dû (had to), mur (wall) and mûr (ripe).

- finally the diaeresis is used only to indicate that two consecutive vowels should be pronounced separately and not as a cluster, so for example mais ([mɛ] but) is not the same thing as maïs ([mais] maize, corn).

Next time, we'll learn everything about the accord du participe passé.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #1176
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
The only logic is money. Since it's built by the French state, and since the French public debt is now nearly 80% of GDP, they build it bit by bit as the money comes.
Quote:
Yes, eventually it will be fully 2x2.
Quote:
I also notice that those 2X2 routes are note "autoroute". Any plans to bring them up to autoroute standards (N24, N12, N165) and charge tolls?
Yes, they will bring them to autoroute standards, they are currently working on it. There won't be any tolls though, it will remain toll free, an exception to help the remote region of Britanny develop its economy.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1177
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244688

Quote:
Yes. The picture was taken in the heavenly island of Moorea.
I knew that it was from French polynesia; the terrain speak from it self
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #1178
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Next time, we'll learn everything about the accord du participe passé.
I often read on other forums french-speaking people replacing them with the infinitive: elle est allée ==> elle est aller

Quote:
Yes, they will bring them to autoroute standards, they are currently working on it. There won't be any tolls though, it will remain toll free, an exception to help the remote region of Britanny develop its economy.
Will they remain classified as national road, or will they change also the number?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1179
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I often read on other forums french-speaking people replacing them with the infinitive: elle est allée ==> elle est aller
Yes, it's a terrible mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Will they remain classified as national road, or will they change also the number?
I don't know.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1180
sotonsi

N165 - A82
N12 - A81
N137 (Rennes-Nantes) - A84
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france