daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1461
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Is that a lowland area, or just flooded by heavy rain?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Those are the floodplains of the Saône River. It is one of the most important tributaries of the Rhône River.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1463
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Is that a lowland area, or just flooded by heavy rain?
It's a cold area, and that's snow, perhaps? Far more likely - if there was lots of flooding then it would be hard to work on it.

WikiSara gives an opening date of next Monday - at this short range, that's probably going to be the case.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1464
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I was in Macon already, and saone is a wide river in normal conditions as well.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #1465
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Don't you just love Viamichelin maps? In my opinion they are by far the best in Europe. Google Maps is easier to use but Viamichelin looks better.
It's interesting that we all see things differently. Maybe it's what you're used to that influences a preference like this. I've never really liked Michelin maps; visually, they look distinctive, but I find them quite short on detail - particularly in junction layouts. (My favourite maps here in the UK are the A-Z ones which I find are very good in this area...although I accept that, again, that may just be familiarity playing its part.)
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1466
sotonsi

Ah, but for other places in Europe, A-Z mapping doesn't exist, or isn't very good. Plus it's not online.

I'd use Michelin when the other side of La Manche, but A-Z or OS (depending on use) in Britain. Ireland is a bit awkward as the maps tend to be reasonable, but not excellent, cartographically speaking.
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are some problems in the Lake Geneva region. The south shore is quite densely populated, and it lacks a good east-west connection. There is an expressway bypass at Thonon, but not at Evián. A bypass is planned at Saint Gingolph.

My proposed route:

This route would have several benefits, first for the local communities which are suffering from through truck traffic in this area, and local holiday traffic. It will also create a better east-west route through this area.

The current east-west routes are via Switzerland or through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. The Mont Blanc tunnel has a very high truck toll, as much as € 250 for a single passage. Hence, many truckers are taking the Simplon Pass as an alternate route. However, the motorway route via Lausanne is another € 90 more expensive than the route via the south shore of Lake Geneva, hence many truckers drive from French A40 to Swiss A9 via Thonon and Evian.

In reality, constructing this voie expresse (or full autoroute) is what they call "symptom battling". The actual problem is that the Mont Blanc Route is too expensive, and the Swiss A1/A9 is another expensive alternate. However, I don't see tolls for the Mont Blanc go down nor the truck tolls in Switzerland. (€ 0,72 per km!) Hence, building this new route seems like the best option.
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #1468
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I doubt tolls will get cheaper in the tunnels. They spent a hell of money in refurbishments after the fires (1999 Mont Blanc, 2001 Fréjus). Moreover, there is limited capacity for trucks. But it is yet to be seen whether a much cheaper toll could increase traffic and justify the digging of new bores.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1469
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
There are some problems in the Lake Geneva region. The south shore is quite densely populated, and it lacks a good east-west connection. There is an expressway bypass at Thonon, but not at Evián. A bypass is planned at Saint Gingolph.

My proposed route:

This route would have several benefits, first for the local communities which are suffering from through truck traffic in this area, and local holiday traffic. It will also create a better east-west route through this area.

The current east-west routes are via Switzerland or through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. The Mont Blanc tunnel has a very high truck toll, as much as € 250 for a single passage. Hence, many truckers are taking the Simplon Pass as an alternate route. However, the motorway route via Lausanne is another € 90 more expensive than the route via the south shore of Lake Geneva, hence many truckers drive from French A40 to Swiss A9 via Thonon and Evian.

In reality, constructing this voie expresse (or full autoroute) is what they call "symptom battling". The actual problem is that the Mont Blanc Route is too expensive, and the Swiss A1/A9 is another expensive alternate. However, I don't see tolls for the Mont Blanc go down nor the truck tolls in Switzerland. (€ 0,72 per km!) Hence, building this new route seems like the best option.
Is a really good option. I would call it A41 (An extension of current A41) and I would realign the E62 there, as current Swiss routes have already E-numbers (E25 and E27). But then the once proposed by me E62 Simplon Tunnel should be built, and that is a lot of money, too...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1470
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

Quote:

My proposed route:
This project/idea is .....

It was named Autoroute TransChablaisienne (A400: Annemasse <-> Thonon). But due to its huge cost, and because of environmental issues, it was spectacularly canceled by a last-minute decision in 1997, while the project had been approved and voted and the works was about to begin !

More info. in French about this former project: wikia.com/wiki/Autoroute A400

Today, as far as I know, an expressway (voie rapide) between Annemasse and Thonon is planned, but nothing sure apparently. That's why the Annecy 2018 Olympic bid committee decided to delete Morzine-Avoriaz from their list of venues, because the IOC's evaluation report pointed out the access issues of the area.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1471
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A406 around Mâcon opened to traffic today

http://bourgogne.france3.fr/info/sud...-67642529.html
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #1472
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

somebody know why A1 and A86 are closed during the night (21h-5h) these days?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1473
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Would suppose so-called "traffic-calming" initiative, by those who a better for a driver is a worse.

EDIT - been too pesimistic. Just a safety-aimed modernization programm for tunnels.

http://www.tunnels-idf.fr/

Last edited by kubam4a1; March 9th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1474
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
A406 around Mâcon opened to traffic today

http://bourgogne.france3.fr/info/sud...-67642529.html
hm, was that really necessary? 12.000 vehicles.... Macon was not the worst served city before already. But, anyhow, nice freeway
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It will eventually connect to N79, which will be turned into a new east-west axis through France. East-west routes in central France aren't very good routes. A89 begins too far south and A85 is too short.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #1476
sotonsi

It already connects to the N79 (which is a VE there) - what doesn't happen is the N79 being fully Voie Express all the way to the A20 - it's piecemeal at the moment. The VE doesn't get far.

They could have made the A6/A40 junction full access as a bodge solution, but the A406 is a far better solution.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1477
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244475

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
Would suppose so-called "traffic-calming" initiative, by those who a better for a driver is a worse.

EDIT - been too pesimistic. Just a safety-aimed modernization programm for tunnels.

http://www.tunnels-idf.fr/
Perhaps of a bad weather, snow fall?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #1478
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

A question AND a remark about online maps, in a single post:

I just checked both Google Maps and viamichelin.fr to see how they're handling the numbering on the old A4 through Reims and the new bypass. Google Maps doesn't show the new segment at all. Michelin does, at some scales, but doesn't have a number on it. SO (1) don't assume Google is up to the minute (I was realizing that already) and (2) does anyone know what the numbers are?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1479
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Two weeks ago I drove Autostrada dei Fiori and then Autoroute Provancale (A8) in France. I find it ridiculous that I had to stop in each 10-15 kilometers at toll stations and pay 1-3 euros for non-human machines that don't accept banknotes but coins. Finally I got out of coins and had to ask some of my passangers to borrow me some.

It was also strange for me that French motorays have steeper uphill/downhill sections and sharper curves than those of other countries like Italy or Germany.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1480
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I prefer Italian toll system. You can take a ticket in Ventimiglia and pay in Taranto, in the other end of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A question AND a remark about online maps, in a single post:

I just checked both Google Maps and viamichelin.fr to see how they're handling the numbering on the old A4 through Reims and the new bypass. Google Maps doesn't show the new segment at all. Michelin does, at some scales, but doesn't have a number on it. SO (1) don't assume Google is up to the minute (I was realizing that already) and (2) does anyone know what the numbers are?
I have already assumed that Google is not up to date. They already mark some E07 sections as open and God knows when they will open. But where is Open Street Map (Which is updated when a new road opens!)...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france