daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #1541
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
these apps are going to be removed for the French users (by the providers such as Apple or Android..and not by police officers )...

Anyway, the "best" is to respect the laws i.e. speed limitations... Like I always did ! (I still have my 12 points )
It's good to respect the posted speed limit - it's when you stray unintentionally over it. The French Traffic Police will often cite you for doing just 2km over the speed limit That's cutting it real short. +/- 10km/h would be the ideal tolerance.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #1542
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I normaly drive within the limits, but on Slo - Paris trip I drove all the A4 on 150kmh, I didn't have time and patience to go slower, it's just too long.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #1543
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

The minister in charge of overseas France said that the French state supports the project of a 6-lane motorway to link the northern and western parts of Réunion, in the Indian Ocean. This would be the first 6-lane motorway in overseas France.

Source: http://www.lemoniteur.fr/147-transpo...s-a-la-reunion

PS: Perhaps also the first 6-lane motorway in Africa? Unless there is one in South Africa somewhere...
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #1544
brisavoine
BANNED

More information.

Not only will this motorway have 6 lanes, but it will also be built out in the ocean, to protect motorists from rocks falling from the cliffs along the coast. This is massive engineering. Here is a render.

This 6-lane motorway will be about 12 km in length, built on a viaduct 20 to 60 meters out into the ocean (i.e. 20 to 60 meters off the shore) where the bottom of the ocean is 5 to 14 meters below the surface of the water. The width of the motorway above the viaduct will be 29 meters. There will unfortunately be no standard motorway hard shoulders on boths sides of the motorway (they were scrapped to diminish the cost of this already very expensive motorway). Instead, there will be a BDD, a sort of sub-standard shoulder that will only be about 1 meter wide.

[img]http://i54.************/2lj00hz.png[/img]

The viaduct will be far enough from the shore to be out of harms way if the entire cliff collapsed. The viaduct is also designed to resist a centennial hurricane with associated mega waves. The hypothesis of a tsunami was also studied. Motorists will drive on average 18 meters above sea-level.

The 12 km of motorway should cost 1.6 billion euros (2.3 billion US dollars). Work is due to start in the end of 2013, and the motorway is due to open to traffic in 2020. Icing on the cake: it will be toll free.

The current road below the cliffs (which the 6-lane motorway is due to replace) has a traffic of 55,000 vehicles per day. Traffic on that road increases by 2% every year.
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #1545
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Thats impressive out on the sea! Réunion already has a good network with the Route des Tamarins and the other one.

Yeah, there are quite a few motorways in South Africa that are wider than that (they have impressive urban motorway systems).

And others
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1546
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
The minister in charge of overseas France said that the French state supports the project of a 6-lane motorway to link the northern and western parts of Réunion, in the Indian Ocean. This would be the first 6-lane motorway in overseas France.

Source: http://www.lemoniteur.fr/147-transpo...s-a-la-reunion

PS: Perhaps also the first 6-lane motorway in Africa? Unless there is one in South Africa somewhere...
Algeria's east-west motorway is 950 kms of six-lane motorway. Morocco is widening its Rabat-Casablanca stretch to six lanes to be opened in 2012.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1547
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Cairo's ring motorway has 8 lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1548
brisavoine
BANNED

To our experts: is there another example in the world of a motorway where the lane most to the right is used only for public buses? Since there will be I magine only one bus every 15 minutes at most, I wonder whether this is not a waste or money and capacity.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #1549
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I believe there was one on M4 in London, but only very short. A waste of capacity indeed. In some countries, buses can run on the shoulder.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1550
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A waste of capacity indeed.
Plus I bet lots of Réunionais will drive on the bus lane (they are less law-abiding than in Metropolitan France), especially at rush hour when there'll be traffic jams (an empty lane on the right will be tempting).

Politicians often have ideas that sound beautiful in theory (public transporation is very fashionable in France now), but which are not very practical in reality.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1551
brisavoine
BANNED

Anyway, I guess after a few years when they finally realize it's a stupid idea they can alway turn the bus lanes into normal lanes, so it will be a true 6-lane motorways for motorists. It's better to have 6 lanes from the start than just 4.

Another question: are motorways on viaducts out at sea without emergency hard shoulders frequent? What about the motorways built over the sea in the Netherlands? Do they lack hard shoulders?
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1552
Minato ku

Quote:
To our experts: is there another example in the world of a motorway where the lane most to the right is used only for public buses? Since there will be I magine only one bus every 15 minutes at most, I wonder whether this is not a waste or money and capacity.
Knowing Reunion island, it is wastle of capacity.
Intercity bus services are crap, even if I imagine a increase of the traffic, Reunion inhabitants are car lover and towns tend to sprawl. It is almost impossible to live correctly without a car.

The former proposed light rail was a good idea but I don't believe that bus will offert any appeal to them.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Another question: are motorways on viaducts out at sea without emergency hard shoulders frequent? What about the motorways built over the sea in the Netherlands? Do they lack hard shoulders?
We don't really have motorways "over the sea". Most of them are dams and only 1 qualifies as a motorway (A7). Most tunnels in the Netherlands tend to lack shoulders, even those built in the 1990's.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1554
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe there was one on M4 in London, but only very short. A waste of capacity indeed. In some countries, buses can run on the shoulder.
Of course, in London it would have been the left lane. :-)
The "M4 bus lane" was indeed a major gripe of Jeremy Clarkson's on Top Gear. But I believe it's no loger in effect.

There may be bus lanes in the US, but I can't think of any.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Western end of the I-495 in New York?
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1556
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The US have carpool lanes. It already makes much more sense.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1557
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Yes, the N2 westbound (towards the city) has a lane reserved for buses and taxis from exit 9 (Black River Parkway) to exit 18 (Borcherds Quarry) that operates between 05:30 and 09:00. In Durban the Western Freeway has the same thing in both directions near the centre.

Both of those though are very heavily used urban commuter routes with a lot of buses and taxis.

N2 Settlers Way bus lane

N3 Western Freeway bus lane
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1558
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

[EDIT: Missed the quote tag, apparently - this is for Chris about I-495 in New York]

Hmmm; don't know. You might ask at AA Roads. I'm certain that "busways" - roadways that only carry buses - exist in some cities, perhaps Pittsburgh.

Now that I think of it, New York's main bus terminal - everyone calls it "Port Authority," for the agency that runs it - is right at the Manhattan end of the Lincoln Tunnel. There's certainly a short busway from the tunnel into it, but I suspect that the busway begins in the form of a bus-only lane some distance short of the tunnel in New Jersey. Of course, you're not talking a bus every 15 minutes there; in rush hour, it'd be more like one every 15 seconds.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1559
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The US have carpool lanes. It already makes much more sense.
There are so-called "HOV lanes" - "HOV" stands for "high-occupancy vehicles" and it's pronounced like "hove" - all over the country. (In metropolitan areas, of course.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1560
brisavoine
BANNED

Well, I guess it's good they build 6 lanes anyway. If it wasn't for the oh-so-fancy oh-so-politically-correct greener-than-thou bus lanes, they would have built only a 4-lane motorway. With that not very practical idea of bus lanes at least we'll get 6 lanes, and they can always turn the bus lanes into normal lanes for motorists afterwards.

Tags
france