daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1561
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Well, I guess it's good they build 6 lanes anyway. If it wasn't for the oh-so-fancy oh-so-politically-correct greener-than-thou bus lanes, they would have built only a 4-lane motorway. With that not very practical idea of bus lanes at least we'll get 6 lanes, and they can always turn the bus lanes into normal lanes for motorists afterwards.
I don't know anything about Reunion and it's traffic volumes unfortunately, but I guess if you're going to the trouble of building a road over the sea you might as well build it to accommodate future traffic growth for a long time, as widening would be very difficult and expensive.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1562
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Like I said in my post on the last page, traffic on that road is 55,000 vehicles per day (in 2010), increasing 2% per year. So by the time it opens in 2020 traffic on that 6-lane motorway should be 67,000 vehicles per day. I don't know how that compares with other 6-lane motorways in Europe. Perhaps ChrisZwolle could tell us.

Réunion's population was 833,451 in 2010. It will be 925,000 in 2020. It will reach 1 million in 2030. Car ownership is still lower than in Metropolitan France. In 2010 there were 0.49 vehicles (incl. utility vehicles) per people in Réunion vs. 0.60 vehicles (incl. utility vehicles) per people in Metropolitan France. So population growth and the rise in car ownership will combine to increase traffic on the roads.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

60 000 vehicles is a common figure to widen a motorway to 2x3 lanes. Germany also uses this. Portugal even uses 30 000 I believe. However, in the Netherlands 90 000 - 110 000 is also common on 2x2 lanes. I'd say above 70 000 2x3 is better and safer, and above 80 000 it gets congested, somewhat depending on the truck share.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1564
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe there was one on M4 in London, but only very short. A waste of capacity indeed. In some countries, buses can run on the shoulder.
there is something like that in Austria at A7, I remember signs, but it might just be warning for local buses on the motorway.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1565
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe there was one on M4 in London, but only very short. A waste of capacity indeed.
It quickened journey times by all vehicles slightly by smoothing the flow and thus increasing capacity - nicely explained by CBRD and shown by the actual data measured.

It was got rid of as people didn't understand how moving the narrowing from 3 lanes to 2 lanes to be at a junction, rather than a mile down the road, would increase capacity and it stood as a figurehead scheme in 'the war on motorists', so was scrapped as political measure after the government changed. The reason it was a bus lane was so that you could still have a few vehicles an hour use it - you wouldn't with hatching. What they didn't expect is that it created a larger backlash than things like narrowing the A40 under Target Roundabout by turning running lanes into hard shoulders, or narrowing various motorways with hatching to improve diverges and merges - eg the M3 going down to one lane as you pass under the M25 on your way out of London.

If it was scrapped for the legitimate reason that it moved the bottleneck back and the rear end of the queue was starting to interfere with the Heathrow and M25 area then that would make sense, but alas it wasn't so I have to question whether or not it was a Pyrrhic victory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Of course, in London it would have been the left lane.
No, the one one the M4 that we're talking about was the right hand lane.

The M4's Heathrow spur still has it's bus lane (less controversial as they basically built a new shoulder on the cheap and moved the lanes left, narrowing them) - also on the right. The A329(M) in Reading got downgraded when they put in a short bus lane and proposals for them in the rest of England have tended to be shot down by the Highways Agency.

Across the Irish Sea, it's a different matter and Belfast has a hard-shoulder bus lane on the M1 between junctions 2 and 1.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1566
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Corsica national roads

I am interested in seeing Corsica national roads and motorways, if there exist some. I know there are great mountains there and would like to see how they pass by or through the mountains. I am wondering why there is no Corsica thread herem but other small countries exist. someone feel free to post some pictures and information
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1567
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Because Corsica is not a country.

I've never been there, but you can look on streetview
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1568
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

And, as you can see, radi, your thread is now in the French one. Corsica is France (And why is not part of Italy?)
BTW, there are NO motorways in Corsica.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1569
x-type
con los terroristas

I think there are also no expressways.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #1570
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Why is Ile-de-France allowed to have its own thread and Corsica isn't?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1571
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
Why is Ile-de-France allowed to have its own thread and Corsica isn't?
Because Île de France has a plenty of motorways and expressways, and Corse doesn't?
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1572
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Because Île de France has a plenty of motorways and expressways, and Corse doesn't?
Maybe one can talk about main roads in Corsica...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1573
radi6404

so no motorways and expressways are in Corsica? And yes, Corsica as such a big island in europe should have it's own thread.
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1574
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe one can talk about main roads in Corsica...
When Radi's thread appeared last night, I sort of sat back waiting for...someone who likes to post pictures from French Guiana and Réunion...to point out Corsica's as French as they are and way closer to the mainland. ;-)

But we had this discussion about the Île-de-France, and we permitted that, and Corsica is a region (a top-level political subdivision) just like the Île-de-France is. Also, there are plenty of national threads where discussion has gone beyond motorways/freeways/autoroutes/the term of your choice to other sorts of roads. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned; we just probably need to change the names of the threads.

So, yes, there are roads to discuss in Corsica, obviously (no motorways/freeways/autoroutes/..., as far as I know, but that shouldn't matter) and I think since we permitted the Île-de-France to have its own thread, we ought to permit one for Corsica too. Which was why I was against an Île-de-France thread (not Corsica as such, but the possibility of 22 regional threads and that's not counting overseas areas that I don't know all of).

My two cents....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; June 14th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
And, as you can see, radi, your thread is now in the French one. Corsica is France (And why is not part of Italy?)
BTW, there are NO motorways in Corsica.
I don't know why - historically* - Corsica's not part of Italy, but it's been French since before Napoleon was born there. Imagine how different Europe would have been over the last two centuries if Napoleon hadn't been French.

*And I guess we want to stay away from topics like whether Corsica ought to be part of Italy. Gibraltar and Northern Ireland are enough.

That's another two cents. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1576
MauricioP

Likes (Received): 1

--

Last edited by MauricioP; June 14th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
MauricioP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1577
radi6404

so will someone post pictures of the roads in Corsica, how they pass through the mountains in the west and so on?
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1578
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Corsica is France (And why is not part of Italy?)
Because the Italians sold it to France. They needed cash.
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1579
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
I think there are also no expressways.
Actually there ARE expressways in Corsica.

[img]http://i53.************/ngvzo0.png[/img]

[img]http://i55.************/svj9kh.png[/img]

[img]http://i55.************/2hdy93o.png[/img]

[img]http://i52.************/2wodqon.png[/img]

[img]http://i54.************/2vv14rm.png[/img]

[img]http://i56.************/bj7fjk.png[/img]

[img]http://i52.************/2zqzeac.png[/img]

[img]http://i52.************/akvo0k.png[/img]
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1580
brisavoine
BANNED

They are also planning to build another section of motorway around Bastia Airport.

Tags
france