daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1661
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Sony Ericsson Zylo. I'm waiting for my touchscreen. I can then download skyscrapercity as an android app.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #1662
alserrod
Bienvenue ā Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Crazy Dutch people and their caravans!

2 years ago in southern Morocco I met this retired Dutch couple who were returning from Ghana with their caravan. During the entire dinner they only talked about "French colonialism" this, "French colonialism" that.

Were they at Southern Morocco or at Western Sahara (considered part of Morocco)...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1663
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

N79

I just drove the N79 between the N7 (near Toulon-sur-Allier) and the A71 (near Montmarault). There were substantial delays due to the construction of a second carriageway. Does anyone know when this is scheduled to be completed?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1664
pierre59

Likes (Received): 0

Dear mcarling,

I made all the effort to sign up here in order to reply to your post ;o)

Roadworks on the N79 have been speeded up as the govt has sold off the entire "route nationale" to private investors. Upon completion, they are talking about 2015-2016 it will be a "toll" road. Eventually, all roads (east-west) will be toll as they are often used by swiss and others, holidaying in Western France. The govt needs the money so everything becomes expensive for everyone. Thank you Greece !!

Finally, a little message to my dutch "friends" on here who keep thinking that they rule the road when they go abroad: in france, we only switch our lights on when it gets really dark (pitchblack), not before as they blind others, so stop making us stupid gestures and flashes to tell us how we have to drive in our country !

Other than that, a great forum !
pierre59 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1665
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

Welcome pierre59!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre59 View Post
Dear mcarling,
Roadworks on the N79 have been speeded up as the govt has sold off the entire "route nationale" to private investors. Upon completion, they are talking about 2015-2016 it will be a "toll" road.
Another good and free road becomes a tolled and bland motorway.

Quote:
Finally, a little message to my dutch "friends" on here who keep thinking that they rule the road when they go abroad: in france, we only switch our lights on when it gets really dark (pitchblack), not before as they blind others, so stop making us stupid gestures and flashes to tell us how we have to drive in our country !
Headlights are blinding at night, Dutch can switch them on in the middle of the day, it won't blind anyone. And that behaviour of switching the lights on after the sunset is dangerous. If a Frenchman acts dangerously, it's normal to warn him. Though this habit of turning on headlights very late seems to fade out.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1666
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

lights during the day dont blind. They help noticing the cars when driving towards the sunlight, or when the air isnt so clean.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1667
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Dear mcarling,

I made all the effort to sign up here in order to reply to your post ;o)

Roadworks on the N79 have been speeded up as the govt has sold off the entire "route nationale" to private investors. Upon completion, they are talking about 2015-2016 it will be a "toll" road. Eventually, all roads (east-west) will be toll as they are often used by swiss and others, holidaying in Western France. The govt needs the money so everything becomes expensive for everyone. Thank you Greece !!

Other than that, a great forum !
All roads will be tolled? I assume you only mean all autoroutes/voies express...

And blaming the Greeks when you've had absurdly high tolls for decades...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
lights during the day dont blind. They help noticing the cars when driving towards the sunlight, or when the air isnt so clean.
Maybe French people's eyes work differently than other people's.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1668
mcarling

Quote:
Driving with lights on during the day is one of the many reasons why the air is not as clean as we would like it to be.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1669
hofburg
middle lane hogger

sure, fuel comsuption is so much higher

look at this mess on A4, people don't know either to turn lights on or off...

image hosted on flickr

13092011103 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr

Last edited by hofburg; September 16th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1670
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
sure, fuel comsuption is so much higher

look at this mess on A4, people don't know either to turn lights on or off...
I always keep my lights on, day or night, street or highway.

Modern light bulbs have around 60-100W each, less in case of LED lights. Their equivalent use of FUEL is negligible.
Old September 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #1671
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Modern light bulbs have around 60-100W each, less in case of LED lights. Their equivalent use of FUEL is negligible.
Hundreds of millions of drivers uselessly burning this extra fuel every day is consequential.
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1672
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Nah, a few traffic lights less green than usual results in the same.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1673
sotonsi

The problem with lights on during the day (ignoring fog/rain conditions when you actually do need them) isn't fuel usage, but the increased danger for more venerable road users that that brings.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1674
pierre59

Likes (Received): 0

I see,

lots of very conservative cultures on this forum - Dutch, German ...

waste your petrol but don't ask others to waste theirs ! Anyway, consider this, I regularly take my time when I have some headlightfreak behind me who thinks he rules the road and blinds others; so keep driving with the lights on just don't be surprised when you cross people like me
pierre59 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1675
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
I see,

lots of very conservative cultures on this forum - Dutch, German ...

waste your petrol but don't ask others to waste theirs ! Anyway, consider this, I regularly take my time when I have some headlightfreak behind me who thinks he rules the road and blinds others; so keep driving with the lights on just don't be surprised when you cross people like me
You're a wally. Even more and more French drivers have their lights on in the daytime. And the Dutch and German don't always have their lights on. I don't always have my lights on, but I do switch them on when sundown starts. And I can't imagine Dutch drivers telling the French how to drive, they've got their hands full trying to educate the Belgians...
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1676
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
There are so many reasons for putting your headlights on that itīs just easier to always put them on. E.g. around Paris there are so many small tunnels for instance, you barely see people put their headlights on there, if they hadnīt put them on before. And yes, I will give those people a signal, wonīt give it during daylight under normal circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK
And I can't imagine Dutch drivers telling the French how to drive, they've got their hands full trying to educate the Belgians...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #1677
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

I can't turn off my lights even in France as these would switch on automatically every time I start engine It's probably the same with most of cars built for Scandinavian or Baltic markets as it's the rule to drive with lights on 24 h at these countries. OK, actually I can switch to parking lights if really necessary.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #1678
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Although the French really take good care of those ones driving with headlights on. I was constantly getting blinks from opposite direction on A4, mostly from the trucs, and you can see what the weather was.
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #1679
Road_UK
BANNED

In the summer months on the A6 between Dijon and Lyon I make a game out of it. If I see headlights coming from the opposite direction, I guess whether they're Dutch or not. Most of the time I'm right. There are a few of them who believe it's safer. Let them think that, they're not hurting anybody...
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1680
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Yes they are! They're blinding the French!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france