daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1901
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

School calendar basically

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

A main problem is that most accommodations can only be booked from Saturday to Saturday during the summer.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1903
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I do as well, I was just thinking that when you asked that question. Lots of new routes avoiding Paris, and new East-West motorways around Tours and Orleans, makes France a pretty good and reliable country for fast transportation.
I think we miss some stretches of expressways.
Like the RN 88 between Albi and St Etienne.
more N 79 and N 70 between Montluçon and Macon / Chalon sur saone.
N 7 between Nevers and Lyon.
N147-D347 between Angers and Limoges.
Section Angers-Rennes, Tours -Chartres (RN 10)
RN4 Paris-St Dizier, RN 2 Paris- belgian border.
And many others improper with the current traffic.
Here Dax-Toulouse, Agen-Tarbes in the SW.
And some highways impossible to finish due of policies problems and environment .I think about Gap-Grenoble in the South East, big bypass of Bordeaux, Tours, Toulouse, western Lyon and Paris, Rouen, Strasbourg, etc....
About our job Road_UK, you are lucky when you can take toll highways.
But with our prices, it's more and more difficult.
For example, the new A65 Pau-Langon (Bordeaux) costs around 0.14 €/km for a car.
Add 30 % for a van. Amazing. It represents 35 % of the price a messenger or a customer pays me between these cities.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #1904
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I never understood why so many people go on holiday all in the same time. Everything must be mighty busy, prices are high etc. For me it would be hell not a holiday.
Why not spread holidays over longer season? It's not like summer in the Mediterranean last only few weeks
I think so too, but I don't have any school age kids. Those who do have to take a vacation at that time...

Earlier this year I drove on the coastal road all the way from Genova to Cassis and the coastline is really beautiful, but I'd never attempt something like that in July. Even in May parking was often very problematic, particularly in Italy.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1905
charpentier

Likes (Received): 29849

The widening of the N10 is progressing on schedule. There are already 30 km of third lane built and 150 km of hard shoulders widened.

djole13 liked this post
charpentier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #1906
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

will it become A63?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, and a toll road:

"A63 : Mise à 2x3 voies avec mise aux normes autoroutières de la RN10 sur 104 kilomètres d'ici fin 2014 avec mise en concession et à péage. Début des travaux le 26/09/2011."

http://routes.wikia.com/wiki/Liste_d..._fran%C3%A7ais
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #1908
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep, and a toll road:

"A63 : Mise à 2x3 voies avec mise aux normes autoroutières de la RN10 sur 104 kilomètres d'ici fin 2014 avec mise en concession et à péage. Début des travaux le 26/09/2011."

And 6 tolls roads in less than 150 km between San Sebastian and Bordeaux .
A record certainly.
About records , here is a link about prices on french highways.
Edifying.
Sorry, it's in french but prices are international.

http://www.linternaute.com/auto/maga...res-de-france/
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1909
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4736

Quote:
A main problem is that most accommodations can only be booked from Saturday to Saturday during the summer.
Right but full congestion happens only a few days by year. Widening A7 motorway to 2x5 lanes, or 2 x (3+2) lanes, is a nonsense for so few time.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1910
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's true that the average volumes do not warrant 2x5 lanes. However, if you're paying a premium, you should also expect a better service than 2 - 3 hours delay.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1911
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I still think the French are giving a better service on their toll roads then the Italians. Although cheaper, you still get to pay for being stuck in traffic for hours at Milan, Florence and Bologna. At least in France you only pay where congestions are highly unlikely outside Black Saturday's.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1912
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Right but full congestion happens only a few days by year. Widening A7 motorway to 2x5 lanes, or 2 x (3+2) lanes, is a nonsense for so few time.
I'd rather see alternate routes (for example completion of the A51 and upgrading the N88 to 2x2) than 2x5 on the A7.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1913
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yep, and a toll road:

I see there no good option to avoid the toll, only the northern part runs with an old part of the N10 (now D1010) http://goo.gl/maps/eBDd.

But the péage will be good placed with an open system.
http://www.sudouest.fr/2011/01/25/a6...99141-4778.php
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1914
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I still think the French are giving a better service on their toll roads then the Italians. Although cheaper, you still get to pay for being stuck in traffic for hours at Milan, Florence and Bologna.
At least Milan is free. And Bologna used to be much worse. But that's all compensated by the major pain in the rear called Florence.

To Italy's defence, it may be argued that its geology is tricky. Through its shape, the country inevitably relies on a few axes that connect the major cities. Its mountains often create difficult terrain in which bypasses are not always easy to realise. Florence needs maybe something like two ring roads, for regional and through traffic. Yet it is already difficult to create one in the mountainous area around town. In France, life is much easier as far as that is concerned. It has taken a while, but now the country is getting close to a decent grid.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1915
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Milan is not free. The Tangenziale around Milan is all tolled. It causes a lot of congestion, particularly on the A4, the northern side.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1916
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

You are of course correct. The motorways around Milan feel like they are free, but in fact it's an open system so that you pay for the motorways as soon as you leave town. Of course, it is for free if you stay within town or turn off to non-motorways somewhere during the passage of Milan, but that's the way open systems operate.
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1917
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

I apologize if this has been covered previously in this thread, but since I will be spending the next couple of weeks on the road in France I wanted to ask two questions.

There's been a number of articles in the papers here that France has, or is about to, introduce legislation making it obligatory to have a breathalyzer in the car when driving. Has this law come in to effect?

Someone also told me that it is against the law to have a GPS device with speed camera warnings and that you risk heavy fines even if the thing is turned off and stored in the trunk.

Maybe someone could shed some light on these two issues? Should I leave my GPS at home? Do I need to buy a breathalyzer?
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1918
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I'm not French or anywhere near France, but I studied the language and try to keep up by staying on top of the news. I'm 90% certain the breathalyser law came into effect on July 1 - articles about it started appearing months ago and the first one I saw was on a Belgian paper's site, warning "if you're going to be driving in France this summer...."

Also, I was on the British Automobile Association's site a week or two ago looking at maps (the site's http://shop.theaa.com) and saw they were offering breathalysers in their continental driving kits. I don't know anything about GPS's, but somewhere on that site there was a handy chart of different countries' requirements.

Bon voyage !

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You won't be fined for not having a breathalyzer this summer. I'm going to France and I'm not going to buy one, I think it's a ridiculous law that makes all people suspect. I don't like the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude with this requirement.
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1920
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

My gut reaction was, "what, the police don't have them?"

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france