search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates

دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:16 PM   #1
damien89
Dubai-lover

Likes (Received): 0

Is the UAE a first world country?

hey,

i was just wondering- does the UAE count as a first world country yet and if not, how close is it to being one? also, does anyone know what the exact specifications for being a first world country are?

thanks a lot,

~ Damien
damien89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
DUBAI
Under the Burj

well im gona be all technical and pediantic.

1st, 2nd and 3rd world refers to cold war allegences.

1st world indicated all the nations alligned with the western bloc

2nd world refered to all nations in the eastern bloc

3rd world refered to all nations who took a stand as being non aligned, including china.

ok, so as you see its a political measure, not an economic one. and also out of date by about 15 years. yet it is still banded around by the media
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
damien89
Dubai-lover

so really it has nothing to do with economic, social and political progress? well, that sucks... is there another way to classify the countries of the world then? 'cos it would be cool to see where the UAE stands, as in, is it a developed country or a developing one?
damien89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #4
BinALAin
Me No English

UAE is developing country.. but it is the first information/services economy based in the middle east. ( leading country in info & serv. in ME ) but we do not have good industry base so we are developing country. ( 2nd world country )

Dubai Ruler and UAE Minister of Defence, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
BinALAin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #5
dazz

well, there's the HDI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDI

full list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index
dazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #6
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 5780

Yup, developing
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #7
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 108

yes I also think its a developing country. the economy needs a little time to mature
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #8
prsn41ife
BANNED

being a developed country does not mean just the economy.

it also mean human rights, democracy, and a bunch of other things.
prsn41ife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #9
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 108

personally i think there is enough democracy in the UAE.

democracy is not about votes and elections. it is about the will of the people. as an expat, the UAE is following the will of the majority. since UAE citizens are the minority, their will does not seem like it is being followed. as for human rights, everyday things are improving.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #10
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 34

agree it is the perfect mix which has to be found (e.g majority will = expats and UAE citizen's will, which HAS to count more even though this is minority)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #11
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 1948

Its a fantastic place the UAE that is who cares if a bunch of old smelly men in Europe call the UAE third world
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #12
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
personally i think there is enough democracy in the UAE.

democracy is not about votes and elections. it is about the will of the people. as an expat, the UAE is following the will of the majority. since UAE citizens are the minority, their will does not seem like it is being followed. as for human rights, everyday things are improving.
following the will of the majority? totally wrong

It seems that u forgot that the majority of expats are also muslims and they are against those stuff mostly so, I really dont know what r u talking about. Beside since when expats interest, if it goes against the citizens will, important anyway? no offence

Why do u think they are going to allow the Emiratis to vote?

Because we seriously need it especially after reading this post

Last edited by smussuw; December 4th, 2005 at 04:15 AM.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #13
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien89
hey,

i was just wondering- does the UAE count as a first world country yet and if not, how close is it to being one? also, does anyone know what the exact specifications for being a first world country are?

thanks a lot,

~ Damien
I have studied this and the correct answer is that the U.A.E is a developing coutry, BUT, it has chosen to declare itself as such.

No World body designates countries as either developed, developing or third World. When a country declares itself as developed, it HAS to make regular contributions towards a global fund managed by the UN to safeguard the interests of the third world countries. As a developing country, no contributions need to be made formally and the UN may assist if and when there is a crisis. Third world countries obviously recieve grants and hand outs from this fund and are always in need of assistance of some form.

Just to put things into perspective, Singapore, which is argued by analysts to be a developed country, has declared itself as a developing country simply so that it can avoid making hefty contributions towards that global fund. And also, these "contributions" amount to a specific percentage of country's GDP.

So there.
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #14
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 2621

In my opinion is the U.A.E already a developed country. When i was in Hong Kong (a developing city in my opinion) i had a small culture shock (i hope this is the English word for Kultushock). In Tokyo i was very fine, same in Dubai. I don`t know how to say this. I just had never the feeling that i am in a developing country.

I would say:
The U.A.E is a fast growing developed country.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #15
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 522

hmmm, I didnt get it.

How can u call HK a developing city and the UAE a developed country?

can u explain more because I really want to know.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #16
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 2621

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw
hmmm, I didnt get it.

How can u call HK a developing city and the UAE a developed country?

can u explain more because I really want to know.
It`s difficult for me to explain it.

Do you know Shenzhen? Shenzhens GDP per people is half as high as the one of Hong Kong. But if you walk in both cities you have the feeling they have very much in common. The behaviour of the people, the streets, the feeling. Okay they are very close and in both cities are the most people Chinese.......
But you don`t have the feeling that Hong Kong is much more developed than Shenzhen.

Dubai and Frankfurt have much more together, than Shenzhen and Dubai.

Itīs very very difficult to explain, It`s about how you feel a city(country).

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #17
Dubai-King
Happy Birthday Dubai_Boy

Likes (Received): 1

To be considered a 1st world country, you would basically need two things:

1) High GDP Per Capita

2) Exporting your Goods/Services

The UAE has 1) down, not 2).

But anyway, these labels, like "Developed" and "Developing" countries and the labels WHO use are really outdated.

The UAE is unique and you shouldnt look at it with these kinds of terms.
Dubai-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #18
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Im sorry but GDP and exports have nothing to do with being '1st world'

check my 1st reply.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #19
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 3

Third World has become more or less synonomous with Developing...

It's still used by the media because the meaning has transformed...

The UAE is very much developed in certain aspects, but still a bit backward in other ones...Overall i think its still a developing country, but at the forefront..Inshalla with reforms, a few more years, and most of us gulf countries will be 1st World, although we might not declare it, for the reasons Face81 gave
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #20
prsn41ife
BANNED

how are the villages in the UAE? i doubt they are like the cities.
prsn41ife no está en línea   Reply With Quote