daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد

United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 22

About UAE Forums

Trying to make it a little more "democractic" around here so let's give this a shot...

I would like to get some feedback from everyone about the moderating around here... feel free to criticise (in a respectful manner) ... also use this thread for requests and suggestions
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 30th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Emirati_Girl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Trying to make it a little more "democractic" around here so let's give this a shot...

I would like to get some feedback from everyone about the moderating around here... feel free to criticise (in a respectful manner) ... also use this thread for requests and suggestions
From my point of view.. , i see that there is no democracy about the politicals and the religious issues here.

Yes it is about skyscrapers there is no doubt about that .. but i always check the others forums , they discuss about politicals while here everything is not allow .. for example the UK section ..

If any forumer doesn't want to discuss about it.. he can leave it without comment .. he doesn't need to bother himself by looking at it .. only if he wants to make some terrible things by trying to post stupid comment ..

also the human being needs this kind of discussions ..

and yes .. i want the moderator to be easy going not only serious..
Emirati_Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 81

We do allow political discussions. It's just that these are sensitive issues so most likely it ends up getting locked but we do encourage debates
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #4
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Sack the mods...

...Live the anarchic dream!
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Krazy
Kool Kat

@EG:

The reason no religion based discussions are allowed in the middle east and UAE forums is that they have resulted in complete chaos in the past. Unfortunately, certain people cannot handle such discussions responsibly and it just results in a situation where many people end up with brigs or permanent bans. There seems to be less tolerance on our forum for opposing views than there is in the other forums that you have mentioned that allow such discussions.

Besides, we have too much going on skyscraper related than the other forums... sometimes I think the reason other forums have so many off topic discussions is that they dont have much to talk about when it comes to skyscrapers compared to the UAE
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #6
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI View Post
Sack the mods...

...Live the anarchic dream!

u wanted to become a mod actually
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Nasrawi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Some suggestions:

1. Cutting down on thread posts.
Threads are supposed to be closed once they reach 500 or 525 posts and a new one is opened. I think we should keep this to the minimum possible so as not to have too many parts for the same project (no one's going to sift through everything and we end up repeating ourselves).

You can't really stop people from saying "Great tower.. I like the design"... etc, but you can cut down on things like this in the Al Burj thread for example. Notice posts 435 and 436. They're made a minute apart and yet the forumer didn't think of editing to add the question. It results in post whoring and threads that close fast.

Another reason is excess financial/investment-related discussions in threads. Most investors say there is a special forum they have for property talk, but they still bring in their clause and service charge complaints to the threads here.

2. Consistent format for first post of each project thread.
Trances used to have an introductory "form" to be filled out whenever a new project thread is created. You have to list the name, number of floors, height, area, number of phases, scheduled start and completion dates, a description of what is involved, contractor/architect, and some renderings.

This pattern used to be followed for a while, but lately people have given up on it and are satisfied with posting the first news article they find or show some renderings without any text (especially in part 2 or 3 threads for the same project). I think we should go back to the original format and make sure the info is updated whenever necessary.

3. Other Emirates' updates.
Abu Dhabi seems to be a bit neglected in terms of photo and news updates. It's improving somewhat now. The other emirates are ignored completely. I think that section needs at least one updates thread for news similar to the "Abu Dhabi updates" thread and "DUBAI GOSSIP".

4. Scheduled photo updates.
EDIT: Forgot about the Constructions Updates thread.
Most towers should have photos taken during the process of construction, and not just have a thread opened and not see/hear anything about it again until it's moved to the completed section.

Imre, AltinD, Omaro, and several other forumers have frequent photo updates. But they seem to be a bit random, and some projects are getting too much attention while others aren't getting any. Can we make sure that neglected projects have fair coverage?

Last edited by Nasrawi; November 30th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Nasrawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #8
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3707

LOCATION and accessibility are a very important factor on the amount of updates and general interest that a project receives. Afterall is an enthusiast's website and not a job providing corporation.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Nasrawi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
LOCATION and accessibility are a very important factor on the amount of updates and general interest that a project receives. Afterall is an enthusiast's website and not a job providing corporation.
Since the same mods are on Emporis as well, they'd probably find some updates useful.
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Krazy
Kool Kat

The mods really cant do much about construction updates since this is done outside the forum and it's upto the people to contribute.
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #11
AltinD
The Modecator

That is what I'm saying. If I don't have interest in a building I wouldn't go to take updates, unless it happens to be in that aerea and I've the camera with me and am in "updates" mood. Also since it is hot and dusty (sometimes even no roads) there are limitation how far from the parked car you can or are willing to go.
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #12
DG
Emirian Lady

no comment

yet
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #13
Nasrawi
BANNED

Actually I had edited that part which is why it doesn't make much sense. I initially asked for a photo requests thread for updates, but then remembered there already is one.

You can't force anyone, but you can remind them in case they were in the area and were going to take photos, to look out for a particular tower. That thread fulfills the purpose anyway, so you can cancel the fourth point.
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Krazy
Kool Kat

My reply covered your point 3 as well
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Nasrawi
BANNED

Quote:
My reply covered your point 3 as well
I don't think so. I didn't really mean photo updates for Other Emirates' projects. I was asking for a single thread for random news from the papers/elsewhere concerning them. I've run into several reports about expansions in some airports, transport news, industrial developments...etc in these places, and they're not worth their own thread but still are important enough to follow the development of these small towns.

We've had some threads about them dumped into the general UAE section.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #16
Emirati_Girl
BANNED

Quote:
@EG:

The reason no religion based discussions are allowed in the middle east and UAE forums is that they have resulted in complete chaos in the past. Unfortunately, certain people cannot handle such discussions responsibly and it just results in a situation where many people end up with brigs or permanent bans. There seems to be less tolerance on our forum for opposing views than there is in the other forums that you have mentioned that allow such discussions.

Besides, we have too much going on skyscraper related than the other forums... sometimes I think the reason other forums have so many off topic discussions is that they dont have much to talk about when it comes to skyscrapers compared to the UAE

Sorry Krazy u didn't persuade me by what u said ..
Emirati_Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM   #17
Nasrawi
BANNED

There are two threads for waterparks in DubaiLand, I believe they're the same. You can merge them.

Aqua Dunya - Includes more than 36 rides, a hotel, and an upcoming second theme park still under design. Al Sharq Investment Group, managed by Jumeirah International.

Aqua Dubai - More than 60 'activities', a hotel, aquarium, dolphinarium, submarine, museum, and water show. Al Sharq Investment Group, managed by Jumeirah International.
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #18
AltinD
The Modecator

I belive the anser lies in here: "... and an upcomming theme park still under design..."
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #19
Nasrawi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I belive the anser lies in here: "... and an upcomming theme park still under design..."
Hmm.. but I believe the things they listed in both Aqua Dubai and Aqua Dunya (hotel etc) are exactly the same. Even if there were two parks they belong to the same development (like Legends of Arabia is part of Legends), so they should be merged into one.

I've requested this before but nothing happened... I think "Film City" should be renamed to "Studio City" or "Dubai Studio City". That's the official name of the development, which includes a film city within it.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #20
mackie1964

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

As this is UAE Forum, shouldn't we have at least one Emirati Moderator !
mackie1964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
uae