daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #221
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

Is he was drunk? ehh poor horse...
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #222
Revenant
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Once I almost rear ended into a string of cars following some dickhead doing 70 in a 110 zone. My tires were screeching as i slammed on the breaks, just like everyone else. When it came my turn to pass the offender, I just had to blow my horn and flip that asscandle off as I approached him and passed him. At times like this, I wish I had a locomotive airhorn on my car.

Such idiots should be relegated to walking for life. Driving too slow on freeways is a real danger, anyone who lacks balls to drive on high speed roads should stay off them.
Revenant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #223
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
Was that driver sleeping?

maybe he was drunk and didnt want to be checked by police...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #224
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
maybe he was drunk and didnt want to be checked by police...
Prolly talking on his cellphone. And not looking for horses.

Back in the late seventies, I was driving home from a concert (Queen, LOL!) at about 1am. I was in the country, and was really sleepy, driving on a pretty good state highway when... I felt my car... brush by something... soft. Fearing that I'd somehow hit a pedestrian (?), I safely slowed to a stop, turned around, and went back to find...

An ENORMOUS BLACK FREAKING BULL standing RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!

I guess he'd been on the right shoulder when I hit him. If he'd been in the middle of the road I guess I would've seen him in time to stop or evade, but who knows?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #225
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
Was that driver sleeping?
I don't think he was. He never saw the horse. By the time he saw it, it was far too late. Also, the emergency worker (the dude waving the barely visible lantern) was also not in a position where the driver could see him either. He should have been in the same lane as the horses, and well upstream, so as to provide adequate warning to drivers, not off to the side by the van. Had he been in a better position, the driver would have been able to stop in time, and the horse would not have been killed.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
An ENORMOUS BLACK FREAKING BULL standing RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!
The problem with animals is that they are not reflective of course, and if the road is not lit, there is no way you can stop in time for them at highway speed. Hit a bull, moose or horse, and your car is totaled.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #227
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
I don't think he was. He never saw the horse. By the time he saw it, it was far too late. Also, the emergency worker (the dude waving the barely visible lantern) was also not in a position where the driver could see him either. He should have been in the same lane as the horses, and well upstream, so as to provide adequate warning to drivers, not off to the side by the van. Had he been in a better position, the driver would have been able to stop in time, and the horse would not have been killed.
What was also interesting was the rough way they manhandled the driver out of the car, then put him in a neckbrace on a stretcher!
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #228
Escher

Likes (Received): 25

It was said after that the rescue was done this way because there were a fuel leakage and a risk of explosion so they hurried to take him out. The driver healed some days after.
Escher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #229
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

No location in this vids but thinks it's New York looking at the plates.

idiot in downtown Honolulu

Last edited by urbanlover; August 9th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #230
solchante

Likes (Received): 1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Spanish truckdriver didn't want to be overtaken by cars using the emergency lane, so he blocked it... Oops, is that a policecar?

[IMG]http://i50.************/dln89g.gif[/IMG]
solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #231
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Few days ago I was entering a freeway (superstrada) in Italy, near Ancona. In the access ramp there was a car in front of me, which suddenly stopped in the middle of the acceleration lane, the guy stepped out of the car and began taking pictures...! Freeways in Italy have shorter acceleration lanes than highways, so i basically had to dodge that moron and enter the normal freeway at 20 km/h... lucky that the freeway was almost empty. And I gave that moron all my repertoire of insults...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #232
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Driving in the wrong direction because you're drunk and don't know what's going on around you certainly isn't an attempted murder.
Are you serious? Of course it is. It's even worse if you're drunk. In Italy you would probably be charged with driving under the influence and attempted manslaughter.
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #233
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are you serious? Of course it is. It's even worse if you're drunk. In Italy you would probably be charged with driving under the influence and attempted manslaughter.
How can it be an attempt of a murder when you don't even know what's going on around you? If you missed the right entrance to the motorway, that's not an attempt of anything. Btw, driving under the influence is an extenuating circumstance in Slovenia. I mean, of course you get a fine for it, but it's extenuating, if you caused an accident, because you weren't much aware of what you were doing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #234
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
How can it be an attempt of a murder when you don't even know what's going on around you? If you missed the right entrance to the motorway, that's not an attempt of anything.
f I drink and drive, I must know that's much more likely that I cause accidents and deaths.

Quote:
Btw, driving under the influence is an extenuating circumstance in Slovenia. I mean, of course you get a fine for it, but it's extenuating, if you caused an accident, because you weren't much aware of what you were doing.
That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. Fortunately in Italy it's just the opposite. Otherwise I can drink like a sponge, wreak havoc all around me with little legal consequences.

Last edited by g.spinoza; August 9th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #235
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

If you cause an accident while under influence in the Netherlands, the insurance won't pay a dime. You have to pay all damages yourself, including your own vehicle and if there are other vehicles are involved, those too. So one stupid night can easily cost you over € 50,000.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #236
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20251

Quote:
Btw, driving under the influence is an extenuating circumstance in Slovenia. I mean, of course you get a fine for it, but it's extenuating, if you caused an accident, because you weren't much aware of what you were doing.
Lol, that is crazy! It's completely the opposite here, if you get into the driving seat while drunk then your chances of having an accident shoot up, so any accidents caused are treated very harshly as the driver has deliberately chosen to make the roads more dangerous through his actions and this is to be discouraged.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #237
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It cannot be possible, maybe Verso knows wrong, in good faith. I mean, for instance the drunk-driving as an extenuating circumstance was banned from Italian legal code in 1935, and from Czechoslovakian one in 1950. A modern European nation like Slovenia cannot have such machist and backward legislation.
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #238
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
f I drink and drive, I must know that's much more likely that I cause accidents and deaths.
Yeah, but it's not an attempt to kill people. I've already driven drunk a few times (stupid, I know) and my intention to drive certainly wasn't to kill other drivers, but to get home. If anything, driving in the wrong direction is "causing a general danger" or whatever the English expression (literal translation from Slovenian). Although that's not how it's treated here. You just get a fine of 300 € and only 5 (out of 18) penalty points.

Quote:
It cannot be possible, maybe Verso knows wrong, in good faith. I mean, for instance the drunk-driving as an extenuating circumstance was banned from Italian legal code in 1935, and from Czechoslovakian one in 1950. A modern European nation like Slovenia cannot have such machist and backward legislation.
Oops, you're right, I mixed up something. It can be an extenuating circumstance, if you harm or kill someone, but not in traffic. And you have to pay all damage yourself as well (in a traffic accident).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #239
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not an attempt to kill people. I've already driven drunk a few times (stupid, I know) and my intention to drive certainly wasn't to kill other drivers, but to get home. If anything, driving in the wrong direction is "causing a general danger" or whatever the English expression (literal translation from Slovenian). Although that's not how it's treated here. You just get a fine of 300 € and only 5 (out of 18) penalty points.
Maybe I exagerated, but I read of recent sentences in Italy in this sense. For instance, the attorney general of Bologna said that "whoever drinks and drives knows and accepts the risk of killing" and should be prosecuted in this sense:
http://bologna.repubblica.it/dettagl...cidere/1341397
sorry, Italian only.
But AFAIK there's a lot of confusion in the laws, and most of the times it is left to the sensibility of the judge.

Quote:
Oops, you're right, I mixed up something. It can be an extenuating circumstance, if you harm or kill someone, but not in traffic. And you have to pay all damage yourself as well (in a traffic accident).
That's a total relief
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #240
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote