daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #321
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Did you call the Police?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #322
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

I didn't, but seriously thought about it. I was alone so I'd have to stop and call. It was my bad, but I already have other problems right now and didn't want to get involved in this.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #323
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I didn't, but seriously thought about it. I was alone so I'd have to stop and call. It was my bad, but I already have other problems right now and didn't want to get involved in this.
I would have thought that was a situation where using a mobile while driving was appropriate. I once called while driving on a motorway to report debris on the road.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #324
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I would have thought that was a situation where using a mobile while driving was appropriate. I once called while driving on a motorway to report debris on the road.
i did the same a month or two ago. there was a piece of steel at fast lane and i reported it to 112 service while driving on motorway. ok, i could have stop in SOS lane and do it (i didn't because i was hell hurrying), but driving 110-120 km/h on not too busy motorway without changing the lanes while phoning - it was definitely not dangerous.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #325
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Once a friend of mine called the police because he saw two hitchikers on the hard shoulder on the A23 near Tolmezzo exit.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #326
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Once a friend of mine called the police because he saw two hitchikers on the hard shoulder on the A23 near Tolmezzo exit.
stupid act from both. 1. your friend - if they were not running among the cars - not worth to intervene. 2. they - who will stop to pick them there?! go at the access road after toll booths, you will find somebody to pick you up in 10 minutes.
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #327
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Depends where you are though. As grumpy as Germans may seem, picking up hitch-hikers is not a problem for them. The tolerant and easy-going Dutch are quite happy to leave you standing in the rain for hours.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #328
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Depends where you are though. As grumpy as Germans may seem, picking up hitch-hikers is not a problem for them. The tolerant and easy-going Dutch are quite happy to leave you standing in the rain for hours.
Uh? That's not true, you must really have luck to get picked up here in Germany! It's much better in other German countries!

But maybe it depends on the area in Germany...
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #329
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Well, there is a special group of stupid people on Slovakian D1 motorway. Just to let you know, the motorway has been widened from 2x2 to 2x3 pattern in 2009 and it is the only motorway with three lanes per direction in Slovakia. For some reasons I have never known, some people (a.k.a. "middlelaners") refuse to use the right lane. Correctly, the right lane should be used to regular drive whereas others (middle lane and left lane) to overtaking. Since the overtaking from right is prohibited outside inhabited areas in Slovakia, "midlelaners" repeal the sense of three-lane-per-direction motorway and are always annoyingly standing in way.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #330
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Well, there is a special group of stupid people on Slovakian D1 motorway. Just to let you know, the motorway has been widened from 2x2 to 2x3 pattern in 2009 and it is the only motorway with three lanes per direction in Slovakia. For some reasons I have never known, some people (a.k.a. "middlelaners") refuse to use the right lane. Correctly, the right lane should be used to regular drive whereas others (middle lane and left lane) to overtaking. Since the overtaking from right is prohibited outside inhabited areas in Slovakia, "midlelaners" repeal the sense of three-lane-per-direction motorway and are always annoyingly standing in way.
I'm sorry having to say this, but I see very little Slovakians, Poles, Romanians and Hungarians with lane discipline on the roads. Germans are also getting lazy on this.
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #331
volodaaaa

Quote:
I'm sorry having to say this, but I see very little Slovakians, Poles, Romanians and Hungarians with lane discipline on the roads. Germans are also getting lazy on this.

You don't have to be sorry if you are right But the situation is a bit better on 2x2 roads.
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #332
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Middle-lane hogging is a serious issue among "East Block'ers". As if it were a sign of weakness to drive on the "slow" lane. The behaviour is then exported to Western countries. The best are cars pulling trailers at 80km/h in the middle lane with empty right lane (or a truck every 5kms). Correct treatment: flashing and honking them down to where they belong.

Unfortunately, German law e.g. explicitly allows to stay in the middle lane as soon as there is just sporadically a slower vehicle in the right one. Some take this literally ...
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #333
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You don't have to be sorry if you are right But the situation is a bit better on 2x2 roads.
Having said that... A few years ago I used to do the run Barnsley-Zvolen a lot in my van (European express deliveries) and it was at the time when they were building that new dual carriageway between Nitra and Zvolen. And nobody with a right mind would hog an overtaking lane. They were going like mad on that road...
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #334
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Middle-lane hogging is a serious issue among "East Block'ers". As if it were a sign of weakness to drive on the "slow" lane. The behaviour is then exported to Western countries. The best are cars pulling trailers at 80km/h in the middle lane with empty right lane (or a truck every 5kms). Correct treatment: flashing and honking them down to where they belong.

Unfortunately, German law e.g. explicitly allows to stay in the middle lane as soon as there is just sporadically a slower vehicle in the right one. Some take this literally ...
Brits have terrible lane discipline. So I do what you do: I honk and flash my lights. And you kow what they do? They stand on their brakes, give me the middle finger, do the wanker sign and subsequently ring my boss (UK phonenumber on the van). He just tells them to go **** themselves.
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #335
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Brits have terrible lane discipline. So I do what you do: I honk and flash my lights. And you kow what they do? They stand on their brakes, give me the middle finger, do the wanker sign and subsequently ring my boss (UK phonenumber on the van). He just tells them to go **** themselves.
Do you have something like this?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #336
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Road_UK driving across Europe:

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #337
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I think you can't influence others behavior on the road. only police and low enforcement can.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #338
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I think you can't influence others behavior on the road. only police and low enforcement can.
Unless these people are not friends with policemen Besides, I have a very bad experience with honking to other drivers.

Btw. the second common problem I have observed is case of drivers I call "sweet seventy".

In most European countries, the speed limit in uninhabited areas is 80 - 100 km/h and in inhabited areas 40-60 kmh. Regardless, they always drive 70 km/h.
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #339
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Oh yeah, middlesticking and constant 70 are two main issues on Italian roads, too.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #340
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Oh yeah, middlesticking and constant 70 are two main issues on Italian roads, too.
It depends. In Italy they go 70 with 50 km/h limit and 100+ with 70 km/h limit.

Limits are placed random, however. Here in Abruzzo, an old road in bad shape connecting my girlfriend's town in the hills with the valley, going thru 2 villages, is limited at 70 km/h; the modern road in the valley, connecting this old road with autostrada and SS16, sometimes as large as an airfield, going thru tobacco fields and nothing else, is limited at 50 km/h.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote