daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #41
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I always blame the USA for bad drivers, but I have to admit that it is very rare here. I personally have never seen one in 7 years that I drive on American motorways, and I drive a lot.
US drivers are generally good because most start driving at 16 and gain experience over their lifetimes. (However, add cellphones, and all bets are off!) My biggest pet-peeve is in the Mountain West where you have 75 MPH speed limits, but there are always a few who still are puttering along at 60 or 65. I guesss it isn't illegal, but certainly not safe. I drive an 18 mile stretch of I-15 in a semi-rural area twice daily, and between these slow-pokes and all the truck traffic, can rarely keep my cruise control on for more than a few minutes. BTW, I love the truckers, especially the ones who are courteous, and that is most of them! (Don't know if I'm alone, but truckers seem much better drivers than 20 years ago...remember some scary experiences back then with aggresssive truckers, but I guess with their names plastered all over their rigs these days, they behave a lot better!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #42
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Trucks are generally courteous... with each other However, it gets annoying when one lorry starts overtaking another on a motorway that only has 2 lanes going in the same direction. For instance, in Oregon on I-5 it has always created a clog in the left lane.

As for slow drivers, it doesn't bother me much as long as they drive in the right lane. On German 2x2 autobahnen, the right lane is very slow (80 km/h) because of the lorries while the left lane is very fast (130+ km/h), so it creates certain difficulties for those who want to drive at 120 km/h. If you think you've got a window in the left lane with enough space to overtake, as soon as you pull there, there will be a faster car driving at 200+ km/h right behind you in no time.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #43
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
If you think you've got a window in the left lane with enough space to overtake, as soon as you pull there, there will be a faster car driving at 200+ km/h right behind you in no time.
Don't feel hunted. The Autobahn is from everyone, from slow driving trucks, old grannies in a Fiat Panda, normal driving people, and racers.
So if you've got a fair window, just overtake.

But don't throw your car on the left lane in front of a mercedes or BMW at high speed, that's asking for problems. Germans are anticipating on this, but foreigners not so much.

You have to check your mirrors more often in Germany, so you won't be surprised when some guy blows past you with 220km/h.

But don't get scared, except some quiet rural Autobahnen, the majority of the drivers don't get faster than 150km/h.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #44
ChrisZwolle
Road user

German signs;

1. Racers don't get home

2. Racers are this sexy (do i have to say more?)

3. Instead of a hot girl, some lame guy, Racers are this cool.
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #45
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
US drivers are generally good because most start driving at 16 and gain experience over their lifetimes. (However, add cellphones, and all bets are off!) My biggest pet-peeve is in the Mountain West where you have 75 MPH speed limits, but there are always a few who still are puttering along at 60 or 65. I guesss it isn't illegal, but certainly not safe. I drive an 18 mile stretch of I-15 in a semi-rural area twice daily, and between these slow-pokes and all the truck traffic, can rarely keep my cruise control on for more than a few minutes. BTW, I love the truckers, especially the ones who are courteous, and that is most of them! (Don't know if I'm alone, but truckers seem much better drivers than 20 years ago...remember some scary experiences back then with aggresssive truckers, but I guess with their names plastered all over their rigs these days, they behave a lot better!
I agree. I think truckers are some of the best drivers on the Interstate.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #46
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
German signs;

3. Instead of a hot girl, some lame guy, Racers are this cool.
damn, this is Philipp Lahm, who made the first goal at the Football World Cup 2006 (for Germany against Costa Rica)

But I like it to have such signs on the road instead of big commercial billboards

But last sunday (no trucks on sundays), I had some silly experience on the Autobahn. On the 3+3 road from Cologne to Frankfurt there was a stretch, where I just didn't need to get out from the left lane although riding at 170 km/h, because everyone else in the left and middle lane were faster and the ones in front of me also had some 170 km/h. That was damn crazy to be in the slow group with that speed. These 2 minutes were the best Autobahn minutes I ever had (in a 54 hp Nissan Micra)

more signs:

racers have this much brain

racers earn this much respect

Hello racer, we wait for you

where do you drive?

been too fast, too?

travelling, not racing

...and your safe distance?

EDIT for Chris: doubledamn, now I understood your wordplay (a bit late) ... since "lahm" in german means "lame" in english
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #47
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Patrick, you don´t translate everything right and add words which aren´t on the signs at all.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #48
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
I've seen a man walking a dog on a motorway in England, and last summer on the M25 there was sush a bat(BAD) lit double decker, my ungcle(UNCLE) was driving at
130ish and saw that in front carwling, time to change lanes.
God I need to learn to write again, I write so fast it all goes:
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #49
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Patrick, you don´t translate everything right and add words which aren´t on the signs at all.
hey, complaining king, you could be a german considering your complaining i know my english is not the best, but how about YOU correct me If I'm so wrong because not translating word by word, but looking for the right sense.
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #50
Cristovăo471

Likes (Received): 12

Pretty much everyone in Italy can't drive, except professionals.

Australia has copied that small ***** propaganda stuff:

Last edited by Cristovăo471; July 28th, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
Cristovăo471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #51
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
hey, complaining king, you could be a german considering your complaining i know my english is not the best, but how about YOU correct me If I'm so wrong because not translating word by word, but looking for the right sense.
I am not German but Bulgarian, but i can speak German as good as Bulgarian, so... I don´t know why you always added words, for example, Hallo Raser, wir warten does only mean, Hi racers, we are waiting, and not for you, and other, but i just wanted notice it.
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #52
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

I know you're bulgarian (from the world-famous austrian-highways-fred ) and that is that why I said you could be a german from your reaction (not perfect translation => being narrow-minded ). but, my re-reaction of justification here could have the same narrow-mindedness, but hey, I am german, I have to accomplish that cliché

Maybe it is because I don't care for exact word-by-word translations if the people get the general message. And this general messages haven't been changed with my word-addings. I did that jsut to make it clearer IMO (for example the signs says only "Abstand" and not "Sicherheitsabstand" but I wrote "safe distance" instead of only "distance", the same thing goes with your example)

Now btt.

Last edited by Patrick; July 28th, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #53
radi6404

Okay, no problem.
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #54
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Ghost driver is the one who drives on the autobahn in the wrong direction. Sometimes ghost drivers also have their lights turned off, but it's not necessary to be a ghost driver

In Spain we called them "kamikaze" or suicidal driver.

arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #55
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9367

Check this one out...this happaned not so long ago near Pécs,not on a highway:
http://www.youtube.com/v/urpzNnrnLk0

The other motorist,comming opposite,died on the spot.The other one(who was filming) will get on a motorcycle never ever again.

Credit to RawLee...

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:13 PM   #56
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

so it was in Hungary! i saw that clip, but i thought it was in Austria
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #57
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 305

This was posted earlier in the czech motorways thread in CE forum, but I think it fits this thread as well:

Despite the appalling recklessness of the driver one cannot deny him some skill.
However he is lucky not to kill anybody so far and lets hope he wont do so in the future either.

Last edited by HiRazor; August 4th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #58
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

^And I thought this was bad:
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Such ******* idiots have absolutely no sense of responsibility and should be locked up in jail for years.

I hope they crash to their death against a tree or something.
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #60
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Such ******* idiots have absolutely no sense of responsibility and should be locked up in jail for years.

I hope they crash to their death against a tree or something.
A big rig does the job.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote