daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #61
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I don't get why folks become so shocked at this "insane" behaviour. That's what we get for not obliging any would-be motorist to attend licensed driving schools. How can anybody be expected to get her/himself a proper driver's license, right? How can s/he appreciate the risks that present themselves when becoming sloppy, etc? No-fault.

My most telling observation of stupid motoring was US Hwy 2 hugging the eastern part of the southern shore of Lake Superior in northwestern Michigan. Dark cold spring foggy night -- not misty but foggy -- on a two-laner, all within the region of the merging of the three Great Lakes. Overtakers, opposing traffic speeding away in gruesome territory: Huge deer torn this way and that (e.g., missing head must've sheered from the neck) strewn for miles on end, and so many more live herds right roadside.

Check out the expressway hugging Manhattan's East Side some weekend night -- dozens of show-offs doing their fun night, might as well leave the 'corder home down there . . . real wicked, although what else primarily is driving about, right?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #62
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

idiot!
the problem is that he think that what he's doing is cool and he is a great driver.
we all know what will be the end of this idiot.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #63
Urban Legend

bus drivers in Israel

exhaustion of many hours behind the wheel is the reason for accidents like this

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #64
Urban Legend

two stupid driviers plade chiken. no body moves.

Israeli police. highway patrol show how we need to drive.

the X5 is onley X now
drivier who past the intersection in red hit the BMW with high speed

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio

Last edited by Urban Legend; August 18th, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #65
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Lagend View Post
she pushed the gas insteade the breaks.
Oops, I did that at the end of a 4200-Km drive a dozen years ago -- I'd had only two more metres to go when I became confused in the absurdly narrow, two-way(!) breezeway, and driven right into the oncoming vehicle.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #66
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

lol Urban, it is a known situation, Israel must be the king when it comes to stupidity on the road. It's sad that I think it has one of the highest (if not the highest) accident rates in the developed world, and that is despite efforts to increase safety, such as the fact that all left turns in Israel are protected, barriers/traffic circles are installed anywhere.

AND guess what?? -- Israel has mandatory lengthy and expensive driver training with at least 28 mandatory lessons, and usually much more because more lessons are required each test you fail. And the average Israeli probably passes his/her driving test after around 3-5 tries, and sometimes much more. In Israel you are never allowed to practice with an accompanying driver until after you pass all the driving tests and get your license. It is just sad...

Driver training/testing in North America is almost non-existent compared to Israel, and yet the accident rates here are much lower.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #67
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
lol Urban, it is a known situation, Israel must be the king when it comes to stupidity on the road. It's sad that I think it has one of the highest (if not the highest) accident rates in the developed world, and that is despite efforts to increase safety, such as the fact that all left turns in Israel are protected, barriers/traffic circles are installed anywhere.

AND guess what?? -- Israel has mandatory lengthy and expensive driver training with at least 28 mandatory lessons, and usually much more because more lessons are required each test you fail. And the average Israeli probably passes his/her driving test after around 3-5 tries, and sometimes much more. In Israel you are never allowed to practice with an accompanying driver until after you pass all the driving tests and get your license. It is just sad...

Driver training/testing in North America is almost non-existent compared to Israel, and yet the accident rates here are much lower.
Countries like Greece and South Korea have higher accident rates.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

Yeah, Portugal and Italy are not too good either.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #69
goxic

Likes (Received): 18

This one is shocking. Truck driver fall asleep and didn't noticed that there is a traffic jam in tunnel. Two woman and 3 kids died. One of the most horrible accidents that I can remember on Croatian roads.

goxic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #70
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post

Actually, it´s one of the most ignored statistics in the world that traffic deaths in Israel have gone down drastically over the past few years. Less people were killed in 2006 than in 1967, even though there are three times more people now, and probably 20 times more cars.

This graph is from the Israel Police website and shows the number of road deaths per year for the past 40 years:

I've no idea how to compare these figures with other countries, but I'd be very surprised if Israel has the highest rate of road deaths.

RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #71
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The same counts for the Netherlands, in the seventies, there were in the 1970's over 3500 deaths a year, now only 811, but meanwhile, a huge population boom and traffic boom has taken place. In 2005, the Netherlands was the second safest traffic country in the world, behind Malta.

Belgium is way unsafer, with over 2,5 times the trafficdeath rate per 100.000 inhabitants. The Belgium province of Luxembourg (not to be confused with the country Luxembourg) is the most dangerous place of the whole European union, with 41,6 deaths per 100.000 inhabitants against a Belgium average of 12,8 and a Dutch average of 5 deaths per 100.000.
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #72
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The same counts for the Netherlands, in the seventies, there were in the 1970's over 3500 deaths a year, now only 811, but meanwhile, a huge population boom and traffic boom has taken place. In 2005, the Netherlands was the second safest traffic country in the world, behind Malta.

Belgium is way unsafer, with over 2,5 times the trafficdeath rate per 100.000 inhabitants. The Belgium province of Luxembourg (not to be confused with the country Luxembourg) is the most dangerous place of the whole European union, with 41,6 deaths per 100.000 inhabitants against a Belgium average of 12,8 and a Dutch average of 5 deaths per 100.000.
Well, going by that measure, given that Israel's population was almost exactly 7 million in October of 2006, and with 447 road deaths in that year, the death rate per 100,000 people was 6.37. That makes Israel somewhat less safe than Holland but safer than all the others you mentioned.

That can't be right . . . I guess that like everything else in statistics, it all depends what numbers you use to draw your graph. . .
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #73
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by goxic View Post
This one is shocking. Truck driver fall asleep and didn't noticed that there is a traffic jam in tunnel. Two woman and 3 kids died. One of the most horrible accidents that I can remember on Croatian roads.

he didn't fall asleep, he's been jerking on his cell phone
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #74
Urban Legend

horrible accident

horrible accident in Israel last week. Truck drivier with 190 authorizations didn't keep distance with the car in front and smash a car destroying family. the father and 5 years old girl were killed. the mother is seriously injured and the 7 years old son with medium injuries.

and the stupid truck drivier will not be charged by killing but causing death by carelessness.

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #75
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Spain (2005)

4.442 deaths / 39.000.000

http://www.dgt.es/estadisticas/estadisticas03.htm

From Wikipedia

Germany

502 deaths (2004)

1.642 deaths (1972)

France

5.732 deaths (2003)
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #76
Minato ku

Since 2003 the number of death in french road had fallen.
4,709 deaths in 2006 compared at 5,318 in 2005 or 10,960 in 1986 or 16,500 in 1972.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #77
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think French cars used to be very unsafe in the seventies.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #78
Minato ku

Me too, and the speed limit was higher.
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #79
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Really? Interesting. What was the speed limit?

In the Netherlands, there was a time where there were no speed limits too.
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #80
Minato ku

City 60 km/h
Motorway 140 km/h

And imagine that in this time french motorways did not have crash barrier.