daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #121
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
In my hometown, the beltway has traffic lights, with a red-light camera next to it.

Some guy drove there with 70km/h almost under the traffic lights, when the lights jumped to orange. That guy makes some emergency brake, and the car behind him (the car in front of me) couldn't brake that fast, and had to make a move to the left not to crash into the other car. I could brake fast enough, but what if a truck was behind him?

Those damn red-light camera only makes it unsafer on the road...
Hehe I know this phenomenon, I sometimes also get a bit nervous before traffic lights. I don't know if in Europe this is common, but here in Toronto (and most of North America) the pedestrian lights start flashing red before turning red, which is also a good indication that the traffic lights will change to amber (yellow) soon. So, on arterial streets, where the limit is usually 60-70km/h, if I see a light blinking but I am still somewhat far, I get a bit nervous, and I've had cases where I braked when I probably shouldn't have, but also cases where I ran yellow lights just a millisecond before they turned red, which is technically dangerous too, because vehicles might be completing their left turn at this moment. Currently this is a rare problem for me, probably because I have much more driving experience than before, but I still get a bit nervous at times.

I like the system that is used in Israel (where I used to live long ago), where the green light starts blinking before turning yellow on roads where the speed limit is 60km/h or above. Also, I like the countdown timers on pedestrian lights in downtown Toronto, which also essentially count down to the yellow light, which coincides with the pedestrian signal turning red.

However, I have noticed that generally the yellow light actually stays on longer in North America than in other places around the world, which is somewhat interesting, although I may be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #122
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
I think your standard mainline railway is supposed to be able to handle 22.5 tons per axle safely. So yeah, we're taking about huge weights here, but not 5000 tons I'm afraid..
You haven't seen the trains in Canada. Often times the trains will get to 200 to 300 cars long. Often, this isn't safe, but the railway companies do this so they can turn a profit. A shame really, it pains me to see fish leaping out of the water because they don't wanted to be burned by caustic soda.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #123
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post

I like the system that is used in Israel (where I used to live long ago), where the green light starts blinking before turning yellow on roads where the speed limit is 60km/h or above.
This works like that in Estonia for every traffic light I've seen, no matter what the speed limit is.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #124
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

I found something very interesting:
"The heaviest train was a BHP Iron Ore train weighing 79,577 tons. The 10
locmotives and 540 ore cars ran from Newman to Port Hedland, Western
Australia, a distance of 253.9 miles, on May 28, 1996." The Guinness Book of World Records. 1998

There aren't any iron mines in Portugal and this was a passenger train but assuming the train weighed something like 1500 t and was travelling at 100kms/h, this is the momentum (p) of the train when it hit the car:
p= m * v ≈ 42000 kg*m/s which would surely be enough to crush any motor vehicle in its way!
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #125
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

again me: passenger trains are not that heavy. average passenger coach has 40 tons, so passenger trains usually weight up to about 500 t. train multiple units even less.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #126
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
again me: passenger trains are not that heavy. average passenger coach has 40 tons, so passenger trains usually weight up to about 500 t. train multiple units even less.
I dont want to imagine what it is like to be hit by ~500 tonnes of steel. If a collision with 3,5 tonnes can kill a passenger in a car,what would happen with a train...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #127
x-type
con los terroristas

well, 1 t heavy car doing 100 km/h is scary, and how not 500?!
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #128
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Just divide by three then
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM   #129
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
A friend of my just encountered such a situation on the Brussels R0. And he made a pic of it
The pic was just a good shot, because he was taking pics in Belgium, but this scares the shit out of you.

[IMG]http://i13.************/4xpe0ww.png[/IMG]
Extremely stupid
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM   #130
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

One time I was in the HOV lanes on a freeway, going with the flow at about 120km/h. Then all of a sudden, a giant dump truck going 80km/h max (the speed limit is 100km/h) cuts right in front of me!!! I blast my horn and slam my breaks and was fortunately able to avoid an accident, but I was stuck behind him at such a slow speed for about a kilometer before I was able to get out from behind him and merge with the fast traffic again.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #131
RawLee

It was a bus,if you were wondering...
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #132
RawLee

On this month's 22nd day,a Lamborghini and a Porsche raced on the M7-M1 motorway's common segment. The result:
I think I should mention that the M7-M1 part is the busiest motorway in Hungary.

Both drivers survived,thanks to the already waiting police...I hope they will be sued for a small fortune and a few years of jail.
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #133
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

This afternoon near Madrid

arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #134
Marvin(SLO)

Likes (Received): 0

Left or right?

Marvin(SLO) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Was the woman driving?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #136
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Croatian tunnels

Most of them are tourists...

Last edited by KHS; October 24th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #137
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8788

Anyone talking about a car hitting a train...

Top Gear demonstrates...
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #138
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Anyone talking about a car hitting a train...

Top Gear demonstrates...
If you want instant death, here is your answer. Just like the mother with four children try to beat a train, just sad when people cant wait 2-5 min extra.

Quote:
Left or right?

Quote:
There is a railway crossing in Tallinn that has 2+2 lanes and lots of traffic. On a record day, 3 barriers were run down by cars
When I left Estonia in 1992 ( I think) people weren't that stupid, I guess age shows everything. People just driving worst day by day. How is the things up there anyway
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #139
x-type
con los terroristas

few days ago i have seen 180 turning at motorway in front of me. fortunately, i wasnßt going fast so i had enough time to gesticulate him a lot of things. the fact that makes him even larger idiont is that it happened between 2 exits which are only 4 km far one from another. so it was so bloody hard to make extra 2 km to turn safely
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #140
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In Croatia OMG.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote