daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #801
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
@ Davieb I am sure he did nto mean that . If he really was a person who knew that there is already a liuos vutton in plaza 66 .Her would know enough about China to not pose that ridiculous question .
His logic was bare simple how can people from China who make 2 USD every week can afford loius vutton apparel .When me working in mcdonals in new jersey can't afford that .
Yeah anyway it is high time for average Joe in US to realise . That neither AMerica nor UK nor France is the largest luxury market it is Japan followed by China . Ofcourse they are opening another Store . Just like Apple plans to add another 20 stores.
o_o where in nj?
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #802
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

116.000 multimillionaires and 7000 billionaires (RMB) in Shanghai alone. Even more in Beijing.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/be...aires/506405/0
Well, China does have a large population, hence it is normal for them to have the most amount of everything. Personally, i hope China or Japan creates their own brands. I'm quite tired of seeing the same few brands, i would like something a little bit more refreshing.Singapore, KL and HK all have these brands, same with a lot of places in the world, which doesn't really make them special when they are located at the bottom of towers in China.
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #803
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

We're justifying the fact that Louis Vuitton are opening more stores in Shanghai. Let's stop there, or open a thread in the Skybar.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #804
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

I think what he really meant was everything in China is controlled by the government so the Louis Vuitton store must have been put there by the government using government money instead of using the money to feed the poor, etc. I will not be surprised if he is actually from China. Some people from China living overseas have this mentality. Whenever something fancy opens, be it a 7-star hotel, or a luxury brand store, they always ask this same question. Is it needed? Won't the money be better spent feeding the poor? They just don't realize there is no logic behind these arguments because these are all private and foregin labels. They are NOT controlled by the government and they don't spend government money to open a store or a hotel there. They are only driven by markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
@ Davieb I am sure he did nto mean that . If he really was a person who knew that there is already a liuos vutton in plaza 66 .Her would know enough about China to not pose that ridiculous question .
His logic was bare simple how can people from China who make 2 USD every week can afford loius vutton apparel .When me working in mcdonals in new jersey can't afford that .
Yeah anyway it is high time for average Joe in US to realise . That neither AMerica nor UK nor France is the largest luxury market it is Japan followed by China . Ofcourse they are opening another Store . Just like Apple plans to add another 20 stores.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #805
staff
囧!

Let's hope no one is under that impression

And let's get the thread back on track...
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #806
clee02
Surrey2016

Likes (Received): 88

let's get back to posting nice photos....:>
clee02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #807
aodili

Likes (Received): 14

March 7 by annestraveljournal at Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Does anybody know what the green round structure in front of the shopping mall is?
aodili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #808
staff
囧!

I have no idea actually.

I haven't seen this render before, btw:

Old March 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #809
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

wow, great render!
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #810
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by aodili View Post

Does anybody know what the green round structure in front of the shopping mall is?
A water fountain (?)
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #811
conc.man

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aodili View Post
Maybe the ventilation facilities of metro station.
conc.man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #812
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Quote:
Originally Posted by conc.man View Post
Maybe the ventilation facilities of metro station.
The subway station is on the other side of the street though and has been operational for years, heading up-to-down.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #813
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecz View Post
It is taller than lower Manhattan and it is not supposed to be very dense.
how come it's not supposed to be very dense?

damn, i was really hoping the are would be like Hong Kongn island style dense, that would be so awesome. imagine pudong as dense as that with so many buildings and the streets vibrant with people, neons and shops....
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #814
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Unfortunately these trendy pre-planned CBDs are very unnatural and will never enjoy a the vibrant life of an actual city center. I wish they didn't grow this kind of districts anymore, and built all the skycrapers around the proper city center. Just like Jing'an in Shanghai or Jiefangbei in Chongqing. In China, Shenyang is probably the only city building a lot of big skyscrapers that hasn't released any pre planned area like Lujiazui, Zhujiang, etc. Actually all the important skyscraper projects in Shenyang are being built along its main avenue. It'll look stunning once all the towers are finished.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #815
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1723

The thing is Lujiazui is only across the river from the Bund, and should really be regarded as a natural extension of the city centre. If it was designed with smaller plot sizes and smaller roads with shop fronts in the first place then there is no reason why there couldn't be the vibe. You could, in theory, still fill some of the excess spaces with smaller low-rise buildings and open up the ground floor of buildings, but I guess the scope for doing this is pretty limited and anything done will have the word 'afterthought' written all over it.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #816
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Unfortunately these trendy pre-planned CBDs are very unnatural and will never enjoy a the vibrant life of an actual city center. I wish they didn't grow this kind of districts anymore, and built all the skycrapers around the proper city center. Just like Jing'an in Shanghai or Jiefangbei in Chongqing. In China, Shenyang is probably the only city building a lot of big skyscrapers that hasn't released any pre planned area like Lujiazui, Zhujiang, etc. Actually all the important skyscraper projects in Shenyang are being built along its main avenue. It'll look stunning once all the towers are finished.
I agree. When I was in Shanghai I went to Luijiazui to see the skyscrapers, and of course the area is amazing. But it's not a place where you just walk around for fun every day. For example Nanjing Road feels much more like a real street in a city. If the skyscrapers where build along Nanjing Road instead of Luijiazui, I think the result would be much more impressive.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #817
Rkhan

Likes (Received): 1636

Pudong District is just beautiful. I was there 2 years back and i have to say, shanghai is one of my fav cities.
Rkhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #818
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkhan View Post
Pudong District is just beautiful. I was there 2 years back and i have to say, shanghai is one of my fav cities.
pudong disctrict is huge, and some parts are not so beautiful... where you been exactly?
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #819
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I prefer skyscrapers in Pudong style planning over Manhattan style anytime. Only thing you can see from the window in Manhattan is another buildings' windows. In Pudong you have simply more space. You can breath. I love the parks between 400m skyscrapers. Otherwise it is just too dense to my taste.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #820
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I prefer skyscrapers in Pudong style planning over Manhattan style anytime. Only thing you can see from the window in Manhattan is another buildings' windows. In Pudong you have simply more space. You can breath. I love the parks between 400m skyscrapers. Otherwise it is just too dense to my taste.
I guess there's a point in that. Where Pudong fails I feel is the lack of variety in height. You could have had some mid-rise buildings distributed densely in between skyscrapers, to facilitate some decent street-level interaction and still allow a good view from the 30th floor of tall buildings. Also it's not really the greenspace that's a problem, it's the wide streets and pavements (without shopfronts) that are the space wasters.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai