daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1021
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

there may be to many office building dump in the market.
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1022
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Plaza is not empty at all, in fact it is quite popular after the office hours and in weekends. And i personally think that the ifc mall is gonna gain quite a big market from people living in Pudong, who are the richer people of Shanghai.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1023
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6365

Ugh...horrible mix of tenants. I can't stand these new kind of malls, which are almost always completely empty because they just have shops that are interesting for a very limited number of people.
I definitely prefer malls with lots of foodcourts, multiplex cinemas and shops that are also attractive for persons with an average salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
This is pretty unbeatable:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by [email protected]; August 27th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #1024
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

I think Shanghai needed a mall like this accually without it the rich will only have Plaza 66. There is a growing number of people who buy luxury goods in China.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1025
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Well, the luxury goods market in China is huge, but prices are much more expensive than, say, Hong Kong. This part of Pudong is more upscale, hence there are a lot of brand names rather than more middle-class food courts and Carrefour supermarts.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1026
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

I think it belongs in the Lujiazui area. With so many upscale hotels and apartments in the area, there is a market.
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1027
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Well, of course, the prime financial district would not be populated with mom-and-pop and low-end stores. This shouldn't be so surprising in any major city.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #1028
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

Hong Kong is very nice! Shanghai has a long way to go before it can catch up with HK. Hong Kong and Singapore are much better than my hometown.
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1029
conc.man

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
Hong Kong is very nice! Shanghai has a long way to go before it can catch up with HK. Hong Kong and Singapore are much better than my hometown.
No need to pretend to be so nice in every thread if you have nothing more to share.

BTW, the hometown of skyscrapers is Chicago, not NY
conc.man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1030
jlb

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
I think Shanghai needed a mall like this accually without it the rich will only have Plaza 66. There is a growing number of people who buy luxury goods in China.
High end retail was definately missing from Lujiazui before IFC Mall opened. Superbrand Mall is so huge it manages to cover the rest of the market with the exception of cheap nasty Qipu Rd style retail which would be out of place in Lujiazui anyway. The type of retail Lujiazui really needs is F&B, it is by far the worst place to work out of all the major CBDs in Shanghai simply for the fact that there are few suitable places to eat lunch. They really need to give up some of the parkland and build a 2-3 storey row of buildings along the outside edge for restaurants and bars only. The park is underutilised and this would be a way to make it more integrated as well as solve the area's food problem.
jlb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #1031
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by conc.man View Post
No need to pretend to be so nice in every thread if you have nothing more to share.

BTW, the hometown of skyscrapers is Chicago, not NY
I say what I want to say. I don't like the way You talk. BTW, I don't need you to correct my mistakes. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!To be honest, I don't wanna see you in this forum, because you are so nasty!!!

Is that OK for you?????

Plz don't bother to reply, b'coz i don't wanna talk to you . Thanks.

Last edited by onthebund; August 30th, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1032
conc.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
High end retail was definately missing from Lujiazui before IFC Mall opened. Superbrand Mall is so huge it manages to cover the rest of the market with the exception of cheap nasty Qipu Rd style retail which would be out of place in Lujiazui anyway. The type of retail Lujiazui really needs is F&B, it is by far the worst place to work out of all the major CBDs in Shanghai simply for the fact that there are few suitable places to eat lunch. They really need to give up some of the parkland and build a 2-3 storey row of buildings along the outside edge for restaurants and bars only. The park is underutilised and this would be a way to make it more integrated as well as solve the area's food problem.
Indeed, the volume of modern super skyscrapers and its podiums are too huge, when forming a community within itselves, it's generally killing street life at the same time, that is how those beasts like Superbrand Mall/Jinmao Mall/IFC Mall/SWFC Mall works to Lujiazui area. Lujiazui maybe a world class skyline icon, but when talking about urban life or pedestrian friendliness, the Bund area upgrade project is a more interesting case to follow.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1033
conc.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
I say what I want to say. I don't like the way You talk. BTW, I don't need you to correct my mistakes. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!To be honest, I don't wanna see you in this forum, because you are so nasty!!!

Is that OK for you?????

Plz don't bother to reply, b'coz i don't wanna talk to you . Thanks.
Grow up kid, it's a public forum. Well, trying to be nice is good, but ignorantly nice like giving skyscraper a wrong mummy is a "nasty" offense to every skyscraper fans.
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1034
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I totally agree too!! One thing i have noticed about Shanghai when i visited in June is that it has no or a very few food courts. Mainly restaurants or coffee houses like Starbucks.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1035
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Food courts cannot survive the high rents in China's premier business district.

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1036
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Food courts cannot survive the high rents in China's premier business district.
Even in the other parts of Shanghai like Zhongshan Park has no food courts. Including the lower end malls like Metro Town. Raffles City Shanghai has something like a food court in the basement but i think only a few outlets allow their customers to sit and enjoy their meal. Other are just take away outlets.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1037
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Even in the other parts of Shanghai like Zhongshan Park has no food courts. Including the lower end malls like Metro Town. Raffles City Shanghai has something like a food court in the basement but i think only a few outlets allow their customers to sit and enjoy their meal. Other are just take away outlets.
They enjoy a different gastronomical culture.

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1038
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

I think there are many malls with food courts in Shanghai, like superbrand and Meilongzhen(Westgate Mall) etc, and some are even designed to be 'food street'. But if I go shopping in Shanghai, I don't think I will be eating out in a food court. There are so many restraunts around, heck, there are even small restraunts in Shanghai Metro's corridors.

Back to the topic, it doesn't make sense to me to open a food court in IFC mall. It is just not the way to do business.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:02 AM   #1039
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
I totally agree too!! One thing i have noticed about Shanghai when i visited in June is that it has no or a very few food courts. Mainly restaurants or coffee houses like Starbucks.
There is a "food court" but only consisting of a few dozens of separate restaurants on the top floors of the Superbrand mall. Food courst are more common in Puxi, for example the Rafflecity mall and the New World mall
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1040
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ugh...horrible mix of tenants. I can't stand these new kind of malls, which are almost always completely empty because they just have shops that are interesting for a very limited number of people.
I definitely prefer malls with lots of foodcourts, multiplex cinemas and shops that are also attractive for persons with an average salary.
Do they have a Hermes store in the mall? They need that store to be truly upscale. They also need some Chinese luxury brand names in there.

Last edited by maldini; August 31st, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai