daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1281
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
A fountain would have been nicer. But the landscape in the middle looks ok to me. Another thing that is really ugly in that area is the Oriental Pearl tower entrance i hope they change it soon.
It's the whole concept of connectivity and giving space back to the people, not cars.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1282
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
It's the whole concept of connectivity and giving space back to the people, not cars.
I would prefer them to build an underpass accually instead of the overhead walkway. The only benefit about that round about is that it is a great place to take pictures.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1283
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I would prefer them to build an underpass accually instead of the overhead walkway. The only benefit about that round about is that it is a great place to take pictures.
No - underpass would be worse as dark enclosed spaces brew criminals and the homeless. I don't see why they can't keep the crossing at-grade. Traffic is not that bad in that area.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM   #1284
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
No - underpass would be worse as dark enclosed spaces brew criminals and the homeless. I don't see why they can't keep the crossing at-grade. Traffic is not that bad in that area.
Thats true and after thinking about it i dont think IFC would want to connect to Superbrand Mall mainly because they cater to different classes of people. Traffic there can get pretty bad on some days. Once it took me twenty minutes to get to Shangri-La from SWFC. There is no space to add more lanes too.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1285
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Thats true and after thinking about it i dont think IFC would want to connect to Superbrand Mall mainly because they cater to different classes of people. Traffic there can get pretty bad on some days. Once it took me twenty minutes to get to Shangri-La from SWFC. There is no space to add more lanes too.
It's not the connection with Superbrand that is key. It's the connection with the Oriental Pearl Tower. The at-grade crossing will benefit both sides, and of course the ones that want to walk a bit further down to the riverfront.

Century Avenue is absolutely massive - don't think they need to put in more lanes. Besides, Shangri-La is so close to SWFC. It's perfectly walkable but you need to do it from behind, and not use Century Avenue.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1286
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
It's not the connection with Superbrand. It's the connection with the Oriental Pearl Tower. The at-grade crossing will benefit both sides, and of course the ones that want to walk a bit further down to the riverfront.
At grade is probably the best way solution but the traffic will only get worse with all the new buildings coming up in the area. I guess the overhead walkway is the only solution.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1287
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
At grade is probably the best way solution but the traffic will only get worse with all the new buildings coming up in the area. I guess the overhead walkway is the only solution.
One set of traffic lights will not suddenly make congestion go away.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1288
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
One set of traffic lights will not suddenly make congestion go away.
But it will help. Anyway i've noticed many times that cars in Shanghai do not stop even when the light is red so i feel this bridge is safer for people.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1289
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
But it will help. Anyway i've noticed many times that cars in Shanghai do not stop even when the light is red so i feel this bridge is safer for people.
Traffic congestion is a flow problem, and is not likely solvable by looking at one mere intersection, but a series of coordinated bottlenecks. I don't see how that intersection is a bottleneck, given the tunnel exit does not empty to there.

You can separate people from cars but the roads don't necessarily get safer. Combining the two together doesn't mean people are more at risk. We see street-sharing to be quite successful in other cities when properly applied.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1290
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Traffic congestion is a flow problem, and is not likely solvable by looking at one mere intersection, but a series of coordinated bottlenecks. I don't see how that intersection is a bottleneck, given the tunnel exit does not empty to there.

You can separate people from cars but the roads don't necessarily get safer. Combining the two together doesn't mean people are more at risk. We see street-sharing to be quite successful in other cities when properly applied.
So what do you suggest they do?? Nearly everywhere in central Shanghai is jammed up.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1291
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
So what do you suggest they do?? Nearly everywhere in central Shanghai is jammed up.
Give less reasons for people to drive. Transit is always the key to any large city's success. You can never build enough roads to remove congestion in city centres.

Do you think moving people above and below ground can make the streets cope with an alarmingly increasing rate of car use? I doubt they can increase road capacity to balance the growth in car use.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #1292
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Give less reasons for people to drive. Transit is always the key to any large city's success. You can never build enough roads to remove congestion in city centres.

Do you think moving people above and below ground can make the streets cope with an alarmingly increasing rate of car use? I doubt they can increase road capacity to balance the growth in car use.
I doubt thats going to happen in Shanghai. Maybe they can do what Beijing did during the Olympics by only letting certain car plates drive on certain days?? I think that may work.

I think if we move the people above or below ground can help but will only slightly improve the situation.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1293
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I doubt thats going to happen in Shanghai. Maybe they can do what Beijing did during the Olympics by only letting certain car plates drive on certain days?? I think that may work.

I think if we move the people above or below ground can help but will only slightly improve the situation.
The key is not about odd or even number plates, but getting those cars off the street. Period. In Beijing, people got 2 different plates for the same car to get around the rule.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM   #1294
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
The key is not about odd or even number plates, but getting those cars off the street. Period.
How are they going to do that?? In Singapore cars cost a lot more because we have something called COE pricing which can range from $20000 to $50000 depending on your car type so on top of the price of your car, you will have to pay the additional COE rate.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1295
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
How are they going to do that?? In Singapore cars cost a lot more because we have something called COE pricing which can range from $20000 to $50000 depending on your car type so on top of the price of your car, you will have to pay the additional COE rate.
It's not expensive to get a second plate. In China, prices are different, just as it costs a different amount to buy many things depending on where you are in the world.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1296
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
It's not expensive to get a second plate. In China, prices are different, just as it costs a different amount to buy many things depending on where you are in the world.
Well then i got no idea on how they are going to get cars off the road. I mean it must be pretty cheap to get a car there because they manufacture cars in China. How do you think they can get the cars off??
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1297
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Well then i got no idea on how they are going to get cars off the road. I mean it must be pretty cheap to get a car there because they manufacture cars in China. How do you think they can get the cars off??
This problem can take years of study to figure out the answer. That's for the transport planners and civil engineers to worry about. But for sure it's not a simple answer like burying or elevating a pedestrian crossing for an intersection. And it's not about car restrictions on certain days either because that idea has failed in the past.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1298
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
This problem can take years of study to figure out the answer. That's for the transport planners and civil engineers to worry about. But for sure it's not a simple answer like burying or elevating a pedestrian crossing for an intersection. And it's not about car restrictions on certain days either because that idea has failed in the past.
Yup it will probably take a long time to plan. Anyway heres another pic of IFC Mall i found:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/...751f646d_b.jpg
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM   #1299
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1055917

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1300
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Nice pictures!! BTW why did you make a duplicate thread??

Tags
shanghai