daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:48 AM   #1401
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Not really. China levies huge taxes on luxury goods, so the wealthy ones go overseas to get these things, such as Hong Kong, Paris, and Milan.
So mall like IFC and Plaza 66 are just for the superich?? I noticed quiet a few groups of China nationals in Landmark Mall Hong Kong all with big luxury store shopping bags. I guess they are pretty big spenders in HK.

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:55 AM   #1402
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
So mall like IFC and Plaza 66 are just for the superich?? I noticed quiet a few groups of China nationals in Landmark Mall Hong Kong all with big luxury store shopping bags. I guess they are pretty big spenders in HK.
Obviously, malls hosting the likes of LV and Dior are not for the everyday peasant or even the average middle class. Don't think the typical office worker would be buying RMB30,000 bags on a regular basis.

Add to that the price difference, which drives hordes of mainland tourists to Hong Kong to buy the same bag at a significant discount. That's why there are crowds in HK while in most other places, these luxury establishments are deserted.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1403
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Obviously, malls hosting the likes of LV and Dior are not for the everyday peasant or even the average middle class. Don't think the typical office worker would be buying RMB30,000 bags on a regular basis.

Add to that the price difference, which drives hordes of mainland tourists to Hong Kong to buy the same bag at a significant discount. That's why there are crowds in HK while in most other places, these luxury establishments are deserted.
How big is the price difference between China and Hong Kong? Must be pretty big for them to travel all the way. I guess its pretty similar to what we have here in Singapore where all the rich Indonesians come to shop for luxury goods.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM   #1404
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
How big is the price difference between China and Hong Kong? Must be pretty big for them to travel all the way. I guess its pretty similar to what we have here in Singapore where all the rich Indonesians come to shop for luxury goods.
It's huge - the tax levy is quite big in China, and the luxury brands don't always price the same item equally across locations. Hong Kong is a relatively short trip for them and a cheap flight than going to Milan.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM   #1405
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:

i heard poor chinese women save up like months of wages to buy lv bags
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1406
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
Well, there's also a sizeable middle class now. Even the poor woman would not be able to give up a few months of her wages so often to buy a whole collection.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1407
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
I'm pretty sure that is happening everywhere around the world. There are people who just cant resist owning a LV bag.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #1408
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Well, there's also a sizeable middle class now. Even the poor woman would not be able to give up a few months of her wages so often to buy a whole collection.
yea like i remember when i used to live in shenyang back in the day i knew a lot of people that were like basically like dirt poor but are now pretty rich

when i visit they're driving like bmws and buicks while i live in the us and drive a honda civic my mom bought me lmfao
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1409
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that is happening everywhere around the world. There are people who just cant resist owning a LV bag.
Yup all the girls are wearing LV now since the introduction of this style:

The price is cheaper by quite a margin because of the thin fabric and simple interior. Even ordinary university students could afford this easily pricing at only about 1000nzd, i believe you could get this bag in US for about 500usd.

Just look so good on asian girls, long hair, thin legs, wearing a sweater top, mini skirt + boots + this LV bag in winter..
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1410
kix111

Someone like this deserves a LV so much! Sorry for going off topic, couldnt help it whenever i see someone mentioning LV bags。

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #1411
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I would think Asia has gone a little LV crazy!! Same situation in Singapore too. If you walk down Orchard Road you will be able to spot at 10 people carrying the same LV bag as the one you posted.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1412
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Ok let get back to the IFC topic:

apple store
image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...8606d09a_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/...dd89b36a_b.jpg

I would think the cladding will be finished by year end!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1413
kix111

Yea i think i might be a bit awkward when you have the same style of bag especially when the pattern on the bag is the same too But i think this is a good trend, i like it. LV should continue to introduce more affordable bags.

I see a lot of Chinese girls wearing these bags on girls overseas, i hope to see more girls wearing them in China in future.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1414
Vrooms
threeyearson.

If i'm not wrong there is a less popular white design with the same cutting right? Unless the one i saw was a fake.........

Last edited by Vrooms; November 23rd, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1415
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So the point out of all this is these malls are not designed to be crazily crowded and busy like the wet markets. Usually upscale malls like to provide a sense of space and comfort.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1416
Vrooms
threeyearson.

More IFC pictures:
image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/...44bec201_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/...e67559e4_b.jpg
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1417
hkskyline
Hong Kong

They did a good job with the piazza landscaping but I'm surprised there are no benches or areas to actually sit down and enjoy the space. It's bad enough the retail is sunk below street level already.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1418
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
They did a good job with the piazza landscaping but I'm surprised there are no benches or areas to actually sit down and enjoy the space. It's bad enough the retail is sunk below street level already.
I like the piazza too. BTW do you know whats on top of the malll? It cant be the Ritz-Carlton pool because it is indoors.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1419
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Here's a piece of nostalgia - the site before the tower started popping up :

Source : http://www.pbase.com/markowich/image/69473980

Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #1420
Vrooms
threeyearson.

The area looks totally different now with IFC and SWFC!! The circular pedastrian bridge is not there either!

Tags
shanghai