daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #1541
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/...0b39ed85_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/...6c851478_b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1542
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

Prior posted here : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=5802

image hosted on flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #1543
Vrooms
threeyearson.

SHANGHAI IFC MALL
image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/...449824e4_b.jpg

THE RITZ-CARLTON SHANGHAI PUDONG

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5044/...51a55785_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/...bf1721a2_b.jpg
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1544
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Shanghai retailers to benefit long term from World Expo
28 April 2010
Shanghai Daily

WORLD Expo 2010 is expected to have a long-lasting impact on Shanghai's retail sector.

With the world fair opening on Saturday, shopping malls on both sides of the Huangpu River are gearing up to take advantage of the 70 million expected visitors.

"The Expo's impact on the retail sector will last longer than the six-month increase in tourism," said Anthony Couse, managing director for Jones Lang LaSalle Shanghai. "The real legacy of the event will come from the opportunities that the new infrastructure creates across the city in all commercial as well as residential property sectors."

In the heart of Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai IFC mall, a top-tier retail project developed by Hong Kong-based Sun Hung Kai Properties, is scheduled to open today, three days ahead of Expo 2010.

An integral part of Shanghai IFC, Sun Hung Kai's first landmark development in Shanghai designed to replicate the success of Hong Kong IFC, is its six-story retail complex. It will join Nanjing Road W., Huaihai Road M. and the Bund area as a luxury shopping destination.

With a total gross floor area of more than 92,900 square meters, Shanghai IFC mall will house the largest collection of international luxury brands. Of these brands, 15 percent are debuting in China and 40 percent are entering Shanghai for the first time, according to Wong Chik-wing, executive director of Sun Hung Kai.

Nearly 90 percent of the mall has been leased amid robust market demand and 25 top-tier brands such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, Prada, Gucci, Cartier, Salvatore Ferragamo and Tiffany have already secured spaces on the ground floor.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Huangpu River, the 300,000-square-meter SML Central Square is close to opening in downtown Luwan District. Half of the space is designated for retail, as well as food and beverage outlets.

SML Central Square, an 8 billion yuan (US$1.17 billion) development by Ding Rong Real Estate from Taiwan, will launch its retail operations - including a 50,000-square-meter department store, 60,000 square meters of F&B space and a 30,000-square-meter IT mall - within about two months.

SML Central Square is above Dapuqiao Station on Metro Line 9 and less than 2 kilometers from the Expo site in Luwan. It's the largest commercial project to be developed in downtown Shanghai in the past few years and is positioned as a trendy leisure destination.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #1545
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Love the way how they are able to integrate traditional chinese element into modern design in Ritz Carlton! Thanks for the photos Vrooms

And i cant believe 40% of the brands in IFC is first time introduced to Shanghai??
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1546
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Love the way how they are able to integrate traditional chinese element into modern design in Ritz Carlton! Thanks for the photos Vrooms

And i cant believe 40% of the brands in IFC is first time introduced to Shanghai??
Your welcome. I like the design of that light too...........I agree. I too can't believe that 40% of them are new to the shanghai market.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1547
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:

I'm not surprised. Luxury goods tax is quite high in China and Shanghai doesn't have that much big new luxury malls in Pudong to begin with. So naturally IFC would be a big hit given it's in the heart of Lujiazui.

Old January 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1548
Vrooms
threeyearson.

SHANGHAI IFC DECEMBER 2010

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5121/...f291ec9f_b.jpg
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1549
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.pbase.com/giancarlob

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1550
Vrooms
threeyearson.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael...n/photostream/
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1551
kix111

Its so beautiful but i dont know why it doesnt give me the same feeling as plaza66 =/
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1552
chambre12
Chambre.12

Likes (Received): 475

¡¡¡¡wow i lov it the mac store!!!!!!
chambre12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1553
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Its so beautiful but i dont know why it doesnt give me the same feeling as plaza66 =/
Plaza 66 is also nice in its own way. I would think it will take time to get use to IFC. Same story here in Singapore where the new malls look better but locals somewhat dont feel at home shopping there....................
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1554
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Architects' success in East is an example to UK firms
5 January 2011
Nottingham Evening Post

THE best shopping centre in the whole of Asia was designed by a firm of architects based in Nottinghamshire.

Benoy, which has its headquarters in Newark, drew up IFC Shanghai, a luxury retail destination in China which has since been voted the best of its kind in the fastest-growing part of the global economy.

The award has been picked out as one of the highlights of 2010 by Benoy's chairman, Graham Cartledge CBE.

But while China has become a major money-spinner for the firm, with a major chunk of its annual revenue coming from the country, Benoy also has eyes on new markets.

Mr Cartledge said the next target on Benoy's expanding global map is South America.

"This year we will be exploring the South American markets because we believe there are some real opportunities there," he told the Post. Benoy grew out of a rural land agency and began to take off after Mr Cartledge bought it out of an unsuccessful marriage with the quoted design business Fitch in 1992.

It proved its credentials as a designer of major retail and leisure projects with Bluewater in Kent and the Bullring in Birmingham - landmark schemes which enabled it to successfully pitch for business in growing economies abroad.

Last year saw the firm bring in nearly 80 per cent of its revenue from abroad, with half of that coming from the massive Chinese market.

Mr Cartledge is a prominent member of British government trade delegations, accompanying Prime Minister David Cameron on a visit to China.

He said he believes there remain significant opportunities for British business abroad at a time when the UK economy is still subdued.

"There are huge opportunities are they are not confined to my kind of business," said Mr Cartledge.

"Manufacturing and service industries - anything which involves expertise - can do well overseas, and I think people don't always realise the level of respect that there is in these markets for British goods and services.

"Clearly you have to familiarise yourself with these markets and results will not come overnight.

"The East Midlands has done quite well at exporting. One of the reasons why the region has a strong presence in China is the University of Nottingham, where David Greenaway [the vice chancellor] has made a brilliant contribution.

"Business can use this, and examine whether engaging with the university and its student base could offer some help and some value."

As well as offices in Newark and London, Benoy also has operations in Hong Kong and Shanghai, and offices in Mumbai, Singapore, Beijing and Abu Dhabi - where its designed the Ferrari World theme park.

Mr Cartledge said: "We have a clear strategy for Benoy in the years to come and I am full of optimism and ambition."

Optimistic: Graham Cartledge, chairman of international architectural firm Benoy, based in Newark. Towering ambition: The £560m Raffles City development in Shenzhen is one of Benoy's latest projects in China. An earlier scheme in Shanghai has been voted best shopping centre in Asia.

Old January 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1555
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1734

Quote:
I wonder whether better street-level interaction would inject some vibrancy into these elegant towers.
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1556
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I wonder whether better street-level interaction would inject some vibrancy into these elegant towers.
Do you think that this street level activity (such as smaller shops and restaurants) can be added now, or do you think it's too late?
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #1557
kix111

A bit late i think, the roads are too wide and theres no more plots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I think that is exactly why!
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #1558
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm160190 View Post
Do you think that this street level activity (such as smaller shops and restaurants) can be added now, or do you think it's too late?
Too late .. unless they can add some street retail, or an at-grade crossing, which will not happen.

Old January 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1559
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1734

It is possible to redo the base of the buildings like they were(are?) doing to Hong Kong Plaza on Huaihai Road, and build extentions onto streets for retail. There is a lot of space between the 3 core towers which you could pedestrianise. Then the streets could be remodelled to improve permeability. All that is physically possible, provided there is the political will, of which unfortunately there is none whatsoever.

One potential problem is that the part of the penisular west of the station isn't very accessible as the road tunnel come up to the surface east of there, well all I say is for goodness sake open up the 'sightseeing tunnel' to free public use and restore the ferry.
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1560
Vrooms
threeyearson.

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/...e915cb86_b.jpg

Tags
shanghai