daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1601
thefeng

Likes (Received): 2

LAXFlyer
image hosted on flickr
thefeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1602
thefeng

image hosted on flickr
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1603
thefeng

image hosted on flickr
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1604
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

from gaoloumi.com

image hosted on flickr

Flickr 上 amemiakjk

image hosted on flickr

Flickr 上 amemiahjhj
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1605
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeng View Post
LAXFlyer
image hosted on flickr
Very nice pic!!!
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #1606
clee02
Surrey2016

Likes (Received): 88

Simply amazing...i was here Nov 2007 and it was so different. No IFC, IFC mall, no round skybridge, no bus loop on top of the metro. The IFC is such a great addition to Pudong.
clee02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1607
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28365

I agree, on that picture it looks really good.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #1608
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17837

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee02 View Post
Simply amazing...i was here Nov 2007 and it was so different. No IFC, IFC mall, no round skybridge, no bus loop on top of the metro. The IFC is such a great addition to Pudong.
Not even SWFC in 2007

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1609
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

No 21st century building, no taiping financial center, no Ping'an building, no BEA building, no Mirae Asset in that area of Lujiazui
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1610
tamir

Likes (Received): 1

love Shanghai,
tamir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1611
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

the skyline is just getting better and better.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #1612
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briker View Post
the skyline is just getting better and better.
i agree!!
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1613
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

It looks like a really miserable place to be a person walking...

...endless expanses of monotonous paving, underground, artificially lit malls with nothing in them besides places to spend money on useless junk, long elevated walkways over boring highways, no kind of activity from buildings facing outwards, nothing going on outside....

... its like Dubai... just a giant parking lot with towers sticking out of it intersected by vast roads... hell to get around unless you drive

this is a city designed for cars and robots, not people. depressing

We should be building for people and the human scale at the bottom of these towers. We can still have towers and amazing skylines if they grow up out of a more intimate environment that fits the scale of people - narrower streets, building frontages, homes, squares surrounded by activity. We must stop designing cities that only work from a distance.

What do you think?
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1614
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

it is possible to build tall and dense and make streets interesting and fun for people:

steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:46 AM   #1615
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post

...endless expanses of monotonous paving, underground, artificially lit malls with nothing in them besides places to spend money on useless junk, long elevated walkways over boring highways, no kind of activity from buildings facing outwards, nothing going on outside....

... its like Dubai... just a giant parking lot with towers sticking out of it intersected by vast roads... hell to get around unless you drive

We should be building for people and the human scale at the bottom of these towers. We can still have towers and amazing skylines if they grow up out of a more intimate environment that fits the scale of people - narrower streets, building frontages, homes, squares surrounded by activity. We must stop designing cities that only work from a distance.

What do you think?
This has been discussed many times. Normally I agree with you but this area is designed as a CBD. And in this case, it also serves as a tourist attraction. At least I found it very nice to walk there but that was of course because you are walking between famous buildings. A normal CBD like this in just a random city would be horrible to walk in but this area has a very special feeling to it. And for shanghai, this area is a refreshment because everywhere else is very densely build.

Besides you have Nanjing road on the other side of the river. Only one stop with the metro and you are here:

So, in my opinion, your story is not valid here, but would be valid in other lifeless CBD's in smaller cities. But I think you have to experience this area of Shanghai yourself.
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:57 AM   #1616
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

The other side of the river (Puxi) is completely different to Lujiazui. Trust me, it's far from being 'endless expanses of monotonous paving, long elevated walkways over boring highways, no kind of activity from buildings facing outwards, nothing going on outside...'

Using Lujiazui as a representative of the whole city is like me looking at a picture of Canary Wharf area and stating that the whole of London is like that!

I do agree though that Lujiazui could do with more street level interaction - there used to be a nice outside restaurant/noodle bar area opposite the Pearl Tower but I think this was removed for Expo
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM   #1617
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Its really awesome to walk on the round elevated walkway, initially i thought this was going to be a failure, but i changed my mind after i have been on it. Even though it may look empty on street level, but underground or inside the malls its a different place.

IFC mall and Superbrand mall are really the only place people would go in Lujiazui (not including employees there). Since the CBD is pretty far from residential areas, people either go there by car or subway. Line 2 Lujiazui stop connects straight into IFC mall and people going to SuperBrand mall only needs to walk the distance of the skywalk. Hence you wont see awful lot of people walking outside.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1618
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Its really awesome to walk on the round elevated walkway, initially i thought this was going to be a failure, but i changed my mind after i have been on it.
I also love the elevated walkway it something different and interesting!!
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1619
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17837

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post

What do you think?
Exactly. It's an urban planning disaster, and there's nothing actually along the streets to warrant people to be there, such as shops or restaurants.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1620
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Exactly. It's an urban planning disaster, and there's nothing actually along the streets to warrant people to be there, such as shops or restaurants.
Different part of the city serve different roles, I don't think it's an urban planning disaster if it's designed that way. It's a clean and modern CBD, designed to be the headquarter of businesses, so a clean, sleek, and car friendly surrounding is preferred. There are plenty of dedicated pedestrian shopping streets around Shanghai, and I think a city like this warrant a dedicated CBD as well. Again, the only people walking those walkways are tourists, and they are there precisely to see this dedicated CBD.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai