daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.86 average.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #61
Joe 2007
Joe_1978

Likes (Received): 0

Aarghh!!! They look scary! please please don't ever let these be built.
Joe 2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #62
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6161

More news:

- Shell will soon make an announcement about plans for the redevelopment of the Shell Building on the other side of York Road.

- Network Rail is due to select a commercial partner for the redevelopment of Waterloo Station. This is likely to include high-rise office development.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM   #63
wjfox
Futurist

"Having explored a range of massing options in the consultation process we decided not to seek a new precedent for height at Waterloo, choosing instead to create a complementary grouping with the Shell Centre."
-- David Hudson, P&O
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM   #64
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
More news:

- Shell will soon make an announcement about plans for the redevelopment of the Shell Building on the other side of York Road.

- Network Rail is due to select a commercial partner for the redevelopment of Waterloo Station. This is likely to include high-rise office development.
Where did you get the info from Will??

The shell centre is getting Foster to work up plans. TBH it would probably make the area worse as being closer to the river they probably wont be taller than these proposals but you can but they will be large office blocks adding even more stumpy density to the area. I hope i'm proved wrong
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM   #65
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
"Having explored a range of massing options in the consultation process we decided not to seek a new precedent for height at Waterloo, choosing instead to create a complementary grouping with the Shell Centre."
-- David Hudson, P&O
Consultation process?! The democratisation of planning is a good thing, the democratisation of architecture will never work and this is evidence of that!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM   #66
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Where did you get the info from Will??

The shell centre is getting Foster to work up plans. TBH it would probably make the area worse as being closer to the river they probably wont be taller than these proposals but you can but they will be large office blocks adding even more stumpy density to the area. I hope i'm proved wrong
Mentioned on the SE1 site.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #67
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3044

i am finding unfortunately with this proposal that there seems to be a lot of hostility towards it because of the slab like views of the blocks and the sheer wall it throws up from some angles that obliberates the skyline. i wouldnt be surprised if these come in for a roughly ride (and righly so when you see how good the original proposal was).
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #68
wjfox
Futurist

Has anyone here emailed the council yet? - lambethplanning@lambeth.gov.uk
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #69
Joe 2007
Joe_1978

Likes (Received): 0

The refused Islington Tower is better than all three of these proposed monstrosities put together. It's a pity that it couldn't be built on this site instead.
Joe 2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #70
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1865

^Dont you get it?Quality buildings have no chance of being built.Thats London for ya!
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #71
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 331

^Typical British pessimism

I would say that LBT, Leadenhall, Heron and the pinnacle are top quality buildings. The same goes for the gherkin.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #72
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
i am finding unfortunately with this proposal that there seems to be a lot of hostility towards it because of the slab like views of the blocks and the sheer wall it throws up from some angles that obliberates the skyline. i wouldnt be surprised if these come in for a roughly ride (and righly so when you see how good the original proposal was).
Good, whilst the current buildings are hideous at least they don't impose their ugly facades on the skyline unlike these monstrosities.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #73
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

The buildings made the Evening Standard yesterday.

The developers say in the article that the project helps fill a gap in the skyline.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #74
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

Uh?! The infamous Eurostar Terminal / Shell tower gap.... well they sure did fill it.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #75
Zedferret
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 147

These make the Shell Tower look like a ******* work of art. One of the most hideous things you can do is plateau a cluster of buildings all to the same height. a big clifface of tower from a distance, which is more intimidating on the skyline than height. I once had this fear for CW, that they would just build 200m towers because 1CS had to be the highest and it would look like a big slab of glass from a distance.

Get of the train at Waterloo, welcome to London.

The Westminster Windbreak.
Zedferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #76
fitz44

Likes (Received): 16

Viewers of a nervous disposition look away now – the site as it currently is, Elizabeth House,

The Tower Building,

Round the back on West Road, this is one of the first views of London Eurostar passengers get,

However the building neighbouring Elizabeth House seems to be coming down not sure what it’s called. Anyone seen plans?
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #77
delores

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
-- David Hudson, P&O
I think the view looking from the bridge shows how such a massing exercise has really failed. I am not sure how they complement the shell centre atall?

It looks a mess now because the shell centres height is now diminished with disorganised bulky massing behind it. I think the strange oppressing angles of the buildings have created a slab of ugly office buildings that hardly create an inspired place to work and live.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #78
UrbanG

Likes (Received): 7

travelling through this part of town often I can say that it is not just the buildings which are a bit on the sad side - its the enviroment created by their use and the lack of vibrant commercial activity - it feels so desolate for somewhere so prominent. This should not simply be just another office development - it doesn't matter how it looks. This area needs more people traffic and livening up.
UrbanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #79
bazzup

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanG View Post
travelling through this part of town often I can say that it is not just the buildings which are a bit on the sad side - its the enviroment created by their use and the lack of vibrant commercial activity - it feels so desolate for somewhere so prominent. This should not simply be just another office development - it doesn't matter how it looks. This area needs more people traffic and livening up.
A perfect summation of the area. Not sure what the solution is - maybe a mixed use development, which includes some low-cost housing, plenty of small-scale business units and a major office scheme, with a couple of little public spaces chucked in for good measure?
bazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #80
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1738

Isn't that what this new scheme is though?

The biggest problem I have with the development is that all three towers are being designed by (mediocre) one trick pony architects.

Having three towers designed by different architects fitting to the Allies & Morrisson masterplan might have been a better way forward.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: