daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.86 average.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:56 AM   #121
RugBurn

Likes (Received): 3

They look like century city in LA after a quake. The proportions are all wrong....the left tower is way too tall- it overwhelms what could be a great entrance to waterloo. the middle tower could be much taller and the right tower seems like an after thought. The towers seem exactly like what they have right now.it would be a mistake to put these buildings up. I think a low rise soultion in line with waterloo with one beautiful very tall tower OR some way out organic shape designed by a really good Firm. wink
RugBurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #122
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
@darjole
2 of the 3 buildings are twisting slightly on themselves.
the cladding, very repetitive and graphic may complement the simple window pattern of the shell centre.

I would hate something organic for this site. The wall effect is working well with Shell and the round London eye that soars above them all.
It is not often I swear on these forums ( I dont think) but are you ******* crazy? Oh and collosal mass of the shell centre, since when was it a collosal mass? Guess what I don't like the heavily comprimised shell centre at all, and I would like to see it replaced, but it certainly isn't the worst building in London, and it is staying for the forseeable future.

This scheme is one of the most poorly integrated, ill thought out piles of mundanity I have yet seen proposed. We have an opportunity to produce buildings that shout to the world, look at what we can achieve ! This does not mean they have to be 'wacky' or simply 'organic', although there is nothing wrong with taking an organic route. We all know what can be achieved, and I will not lend my support for a development that celebrates mediocrity in design.

Last edited by enith; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #123
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
this is the sad thing about this scheme. the original elizabeth house scheme was much superior to this, but one of the reasons it was dumped was that the planning authorities felt it tried to do too much at the base. by too much i mean move a road, create a new public space, sort out the poor pedestrian circulation and access in the area.
Yes the removal of that road was an inspired piece of urban planning, the current scheme pales in comparison
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #124
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Just looking at these pictures posted, it looks like the ultimate carbuncle. And indeed I also believe that will sail through planning and CABE reviews, proving once again planning does not work in London. It is a prominent site where British architects could show off their best talents, and instead we'll get something that is worse than what is there today. In addition this area needs to get some masterplanning - right now whether a pedestrian or a car driver the whole local road system is a joke. I also don't understand why some towers slightly higher than the shell centre would affect the setting of the Houses of Parliament, provided they are of sufficient architectural quality (something like three "The Leaf" buildings of varying heights). A wall is much worse. In comparison, Plantation Place just appears top notch architecture.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #125
delores

Likes (Received): 178

When this scheme was chosen over the other more interesting schemes I considered it a rather strange move as the renders were appauling and basically a crude massing study, it gave virtually no information on how they would look in reality. Now what we are left with is a bunch of overblown buildings completly over scaled and clumsy. Like others I agree and have pointed out in the past that the massing is all wrong. The reason why the shell centre works so well is because of its stark monumentality. The lower buildings try to relate to the more low rise scale of the surrounding area. This mess of a scheme is just too large and tall for the area and I hope they call it in or have a complete rethink.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #126
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3037

londonlad, their piece of shit map isnt working. whats the planning application number~?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #127
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
londonlad, their piece of shit map isnt working. whats the planning application number~?
07/026028/FUL
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #128
gothicform
Bossman

perfect thats all the info you ever need to post so we can find the plans
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #129
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

Waterloo framework unveiled
11:21 | 26.10.07

Mayor of London Ken Livingstone has today unveiled a masterplan for Waterloo.

By Laura Chesters

The Waterloo Opportunity Area Planning Framework plans to transform the area and structure subsequent development.

Plans include:

-Reworking the IMAX roundabout and creating a city square for local people and visitors

-A plan to encourage development of world-class buildings around and above the station

-Improving the layout of Waterloo as a major transport interchange and working with Network Rail to improve the accessibility and capacity of the station

Livingstone said: ‘Waterloo is the gateway to the South Bank, one of the world’s leading cultural centres. It is vital that we improve the attractiveness of the station and its surroundings, making the most of the whole neighbourhood and stitching all of its individual parts together.’

‘We can only achieve this through careful planning over the next generation. If we can do this, the prize will be thousands of new homes and jobs for Waterloo and great improvements to its layout and public space, making it more attractive, vibrant and easier to get around.’

The area covered by the framework includes Waterloo station and the South Bank from St Thomas's Hospital to Gabriel's Wharf. This is identified as an ‘opportunity area’ in the Mayor’s London Plan.

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3098544&c=1
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #130
RugBurn

the livingston annoucement means that they will propbaly approve the Elizabeth house project just to get things going in the waterloo district. Does anyone have any more details on The Shell center expansion and renovation? isnt shell planning to rebuild around their tower? that might shut out this developments visibity on the skyline
RugBurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #131
The Sage
I want my LBT

FANTASTIC.

But please, please can we have a redesign here? No-one could claim in their wildest dreams that these are world-class designs.
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #132
gothicform
Bossman

well that ******* planning application number doesnt work either. grrrrrrrrrrrrr. i got their map working in internet explorer and it only returns results on double glazing and so on! thats because the real planning application number is 07/02628/FUL!
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #133
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

http://www.cabe.org.uk/default.aspx?...5%26sl%3d3.2.3

Conclusion

In overall terms, we are unconvinced by the overall massing arrangement of this scheme, although the residential tower is broadly successful. We are inclined to conclude that any potential resolution of this will involve – as part of comprehensive thought about the massing strategy – a re-examination of the proportions of the office buildings. We hope that this can be addressed and a convincing scheme in the round can be achieved.
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #134
LiamF1

I'd like a total rethink done on this whole scheme. This site is crying out for something imaginative.
LiamF1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #135
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

yes it deserves to be slated. Hopefully a different architectual practise will be chosen
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #136
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6154

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamF1 View Post
I'd like a total rethink done on this whole scheme. This site is crying out for something imaginative.
I completely agree. What's being proposed here simply isn't good enough for such a high-profile site. Sadly I suspect it will gain planning permission anyway. It's a 100m midrise that ticks all the right boxes for the council, isn't particularly offensive and will bring further investment and tenants to the area, just like More London and Bankside123 have done. Whether it's exciting or progressive architecture doesn't seem to matter much.

How can these architects produce such bland rubbish, and be allowed to get away with it? Here we are in the 21st century, with such awesome technology and resources at our disposal, advanced computer software, teams of highly skilled personnel, decades of experience in urban development. Look at what was proposed in San Francisco recently to see the level of quality we should be aiming for -

Old December 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #137
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1738

Allies & Morrison aren't very good architects when it comes to skyscrapers.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #138
wjfox
Futurist

I'm told Lambeth Council will make a decision on 16th January.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #139
scraper

I hope they reject this scheme, it fails to to even come close to the standard they should expect for such a prominent site.
scraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM   #140
wjfox
Futurist

Other than myself, how many people here actually complained to the council about this proposal?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: