daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #181
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

CENTRAL MOTORWAY JUNCTION - GRAFTON BRIDGE BUSWAY, AUCKLAND:

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 10th, 2009 at 06:35 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #182
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Great stuff!
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #183
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
Great stuff!
Thanks mate - how's marvelous Melbourne treating ya ?
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #184
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

SH1 - HOPETOUN OVERBRIDGE SECTION - The many faces of this interchange:

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 10th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #185
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

SH1 - FROM AND TO HARBOUR BRIDGE:

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 10th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #186
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

Great pics Sydney, NZ has some great freeways!!
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #187
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardoga View Post

Well, to be honest it is always picture of the same intersection in Auckland.
Freeway network in NZ is made of one short freeway. It is actually not network at all.

Are there any plan of at least dualling of the major highways? What are the traffic numbers on road connecting Auckland with Wellington?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #188
Timoth12

Actually, freeway network in NZ is made up of several freeways, the newly built are nice. If anyone cares to post the pictures from the rural highways of the country, would love to see them.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #189
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Thanks mate - how's marvelous Melbourne treating ya ?
Its great! Thanks for asking. I miss the warm Brisbane weather, but oh well I am in Melbourne! lol
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM   #190
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

I think there is a plan for the Waikato Expressway, which basically is a 80-100km extension of duplication on AKL-WLG route from where it currently ends with a bypass around Hamilton. I think it duplication will end near Cambridge and take more than 5 years to complete.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #191
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardoga View Post
Thanks Jardoga, it sure does and thankfully getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Well, to be honest it is always picture of the same intersection in Auckland.
Freeway network in NZ is made of one short freeway. It is actually not network at all.

Are there any plan of at least dualling of the major highways? What are the traffic numbers on road connecting Auckland with Wellington?
You are not being honest, there are pics in this thread of many motorways within NZ and Auckland. The intersection that you are referring to has multiple photographs in order to showcase the many facets of the aforementioned intersection as time progresses.

A few pages back and you will see that there are plans to dual the major motorways ... the SH1 North from Orewa to Puhoi has just been completed and plans are on the drawing board to take this further North past Warkworth.

The SH1 South has also just been extended and major plans have just been launched to deviate the SH1 and bypass most of the smaller towns as far as Hamilton.

You can find more info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_New_Zealand
and here
http://www.transit.govt.nz/

Let's forget that Auckland is one big construction site at the moment - completion of the Waterview connection will provide Auckland with a full motorway network - here is a map showing all that is currently happenning (it is a shit load) and this website will also provide you with all the info that you need: http://www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz/

As for your last question, sorry I can't help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Actually, freeway network in NZ is made up of several freeways, the newly built are nice. If anyone cares to post the pictures from the rural highways of the country, would love to see them.
Yes indeed, I wish that I could travel around the islands more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
Its great! Thanks for asking. I miss the warm Brisbane weather, but oh well I am in Melbourne! lol
The weather could be worse but like you say, at least you are in MARVELOUS Melbourne Let me know how you find it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
I think there is a plan for the Waikato Expressway, which basically is a 80-100km extension of duplication on AKL-WLG route from where it currently ends with a bypass around Hamilton. I think it duplication will end near Cambridge and take more than 5 years to complete.
You are right - I am not too familiar with all the plans and I guess that I should do some reading I have heard that there are some big projects around Christchurch and Wellington as well. I will have to get the boys from Kiwiscrapers to provide us with some more details.

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 10th, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #192
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

UPPER HARBOUR MOTORWAY - FIRST PHASE RECENTLY COMPLETED - AUCKLAND

Traffic noise retardation barriers, very artsy;

image hosted on flickr

The Upper Harbour bridge (it used to be 2 lanes only) - provision has also been made for pedestrians and cyclists;

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 12th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #193
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Decorative fish-scale concrete panels at the new ONEWA INTERCHANGE, Auckland.

Old July 15th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #194
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

World Cup target for [VICTORIA TUNNEL]

Auckland's $430 million Victoria Park motorway tunnel has been added to a clutch of projects for completion in time for the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Construction company Fletcher Building's infrastructure chief Mark Binns offered yesterday, as lead contractor for a consortium of builders and designers, to deliver the project more than two years earlier than a previous Government target of late 2013. "We are very confident this is going to be a very successful project," he told Prime Minister John Key and Transport Minister Steven Joyce under the glass roof of an annex to the historic Birdcage Tavern, which lies in the path of the 440m three-lane, one-way northbound tunnel, and is to be moved and restored for up to $10 million.

"And we look forward, Prime Minister, to seeing you at the opening prior to the World Cup." Fletcher, which will work in an alliance with the Transport Agency as well as Palmerston North road-builders Higgins Contractors, Beca Engineers and Australian tunnelling experts Parsons Brinckerhoff, is already striving to complete three other big Auckland infrastructure projects before the cup. As well as leading the $240.5 million redevelopment of Eden Park, it is duplicating the Manukau Harbour motorway crossing for $230 million and digging a $160 million railway trench through New Lynn.

But Mr Binns assured the Herald his target was realistic, given a freeing up of construction resources such as on Tauranga's $210 million duplicate harbour bridge, which Fletcher expects to complete in September. Mr Key said he believed Fletcher was "serious" about its offer. "They've obviously got the capability of doing it, they are a very successful group of companies in their own right, and I am sure they'll work highly efficiently," he said. "They have a target there for the Rugby World Cup - let's hope they make it." The project will also include adding a lane in each direction to the 1.7km motorway section between the tunnel and Auckland Harbour Bridge, making a 10-lane road corridor plus a southbound shoulder for buses.

Northbound buses will share the motorway with other traffic, but the Transport Agency will install red lights to reserve the outside lane for them in what it hopes will be only rare cases of congestion. All four viaduct lanes will be reserved for southbound traffic, eliminating the need for what the agency calls difficult and dangerous lane-changing now seen through St Marys Bay. Mr Joyce, who lives north of Albany, said 165,000 vehicles used the corridor daily and he had first-hand experience of long queues starting about 6.45am.

Agency chairman Brian Roche said the motorway widening work would start no later than November, and possibly as early as September, to be followed by a start on the cut-and-cover tunnel through the park by March. The physical work involved in the contract announced yesterday was worth $340 million out of a total project cost of up to $430 million, which would be "a significant boost to the economy and create a lot of activity and employment".

Last edited by SYDNEY; July 21st, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM   #195
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

[SH1] AUCKLAND - AS SEEN FROM THE NORTHERN BUSWAY

Old July 26th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #196
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

A few aerials of the SH1 NORTH in AUCKLAND:

Akoranga

Smales Farm

Sunnynook

Constellation Station

Albany Station

Old July 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #197
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19372

It looks very American on the aerials, but you do immediatly see it's not American, but Australian or New Zealandish..
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #198
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It looks very American on the aerials, but you do immediatly see it's not American, but Australian or New Zealandish..
I get what you mean mate Thanks for the comment.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #199
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Slow-down ordered on shrinking [VIADUCT]

Traffic on one of New Zealand's busiest motorway stretches, Auckland's Newmarket Viaduct, will face tougher speed restrictions from Monday as a giant replacement structure sprouts up next to it. The Transport Agency will drop the 100km/h limit to 70km/h on the southbound lanes and to 80km/h in the opposite direction, to reduce the risk of crashes if drivers become distracted by the construction of a $215 million pair of replacement viaducts. Drivers will also have to cope with with narrower traffic lanes.

The lanes will be shrunk from 3.5m to 3.1m in an overnight closure of the southbound carriageway on Sunday, making room for a screen to be constructed along the 690m northern lip of the structure. A merging lane for southbound traffic flowing past the Gillies Ave motorway off-ramp to the viaduct will be shortened. The screen will reduce visual distractions from the construction project and create a safety buffer for workers erecting a new four-lane motorway deck 13m to the north.

Three of the 24 columns needed to support the replacement viaduct have been largely completed, to heights of up to 20m, and the Transport Agency's construction alliance expects to start erecting deck spans between these by the end of this month. Once a platform is formed by the initial deck spans, a 140m gantry will be erected high above the traffic to manoeuvre the rest of the new southbound structure into place. Prefabricated sections for the 700-tonne gantry have been enlarged and strengthened since they were used to build the Waiwera River viaduct on the Northern Gateway toll road, which opened in January.

Transport Agency regional highways manager Tommy Parker said yesterday the restrictions would have little effect on peak-hour traffic, which travelled at an average speed of only about 30km/h over the viaduct. But they would be important at off-peak times, to reduce the risk of vehicles spinning out of control in a more confined motorway corridor. "We are making these changes for the safety of drivers as they travel through a live construction zone," he said. They would help the agency to keep all three southbound lanes open "to carry out a vital replacement of a busy stretch of road without bringing Auckland to a halt".

Mr Parker said the police had undertaken to enforce the new speed limits but he appealed to drivers to co-operate voluntarily to ensure the three lanes could remain open. "If we find that drivers aren't slowing down or there is a high risk, our only option would be to close the outside lane and that would have a huge effect on capacity, so we really want to avoid that." The viaduct carries more than 160,000 vehicles a day, and the agency hopes to have the replacement southbound structure available in time for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

That will be followed by the demolition of the southbound carriageway, to make way for a replacement northbound viaduct by early 2012. A new auxiliary motorway lane to be built south of the viaduct for about $18 million will increase capacity to four lanes as far as Greenlane by 2011, but the northbound structure will be limited to three lanes to prevent any imbalance with the tight vehicle space available through Spaghetti Junction. Although that will provide no more capacity than the existing structure, the replacement viaducts have been designed to have five times more seismic resistance than the present structure - able to withstand a once-in-2500-years earthquake.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #200
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

Whenever I look at pictures of the motorways in New Zealand (and Australia) they always just look like the USA to me!

I think it's the fact that all the signage uses the same font, the use of the word 'exit' and the yellow diamonds, with the different sized number plates thrown in for good measure! But it's also other stuff like the type of gantry used and the street lighting.

It's odd how just little things like that can change the perception so much.
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote