daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #341
drosophila

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealc View Post
Chris, from what I've seen so far of Sydney's excellent photos, he only takes photos of the nicer parts of NZ, there are plenty of very rough areas of Auckland which look like some of the worst parts of LA, parts where Sydney wouldn't be welcome. So far I've not come across any nasty areas in any Swiss city.
Then you haven't lived in Switzerland or spent very long there. I don't agree that Auckland or NZ is anything like Switzerland, but I also don't agree that Swiss cities don't have some pretty seedy areas. It's also a pretty wild claim to make that the seedy parts of LA are anything like the seedier parts of Auckland.

However, Sydney's photos are of highways in NZ, and the general quality of this infrastructure is on par with that in Switzerland and significantly higher than anywhere in the US, the latter dealing with a serious case of lack of maintenance these days.
drosophila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #342
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealc View Post
Chris, from what I've seen so far of Sydney's excellent photos, he only takes photos of the nicer parts of NZ, there are plenty of very rough areas of Auckland which look like some of the worst parts of LA, parts where Sydney wouldn't be welcome. So far I've not come across any nasty areas in any Swiss city.
Lay off the green stuff There is no way in hell that areas such as Otara, Mangere, Massey and Avondale can even come close to the madness of some of LA's worst areas. Don't for a minute think that Switzerland doesn't have it's fair share of dodgy areas - I have seen them with my own eyes.

I also don't believe that Chris is so naive to think that everything is perfect in NZ but compared to places I have been to our worst areas look like average middle income suburbs.

Besides that, this is a motorway thread and correct me if I am wrong, there is no motorway through Avondale, Otara, Mangere and/or Massey. There is no mis-representation here at all ... what you see is what you get when you are traveling on the motorway

P.S. There are many areas in NZ that actually remind me of my time in Switzerland - especially the scenery.

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 4th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #344
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Amazing pics

greeting from Brazil

Matamata is funny because in portuguese matamata means killkill hahaha
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #345
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Great pics Sydney! Thanks mate.
Nice to see the Waikato Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Then you haven't lived in Switzerland or spent very long there. I don't agree that Auckland or NZ is anything like Switzerland, but I also don't agree that Swiss cities don't have some pretty seedy areas. It's also a pretty wild claim to make that the seedy parts of LA are anything like the seedier parts of Auckland.

However, Sydney's photos are of highways in NZ, and the general quality of this infrastructure is on par with that in Switzerland and significantly higher than anywhere in the US, the latter dealing with a serious case of lack of maintenance these days.
Oh come on
Fighting bullshit with more bullshit kind of defeats the purpose don't you think?

P.s. Sydney
Both Otara and Mangere have motorways running through them
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #346
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19136

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post

Oh, come on dude, have you seen map of the Swiss motorway network??
NZ has some few short stretches and no network whatsoever.
And we didn't even mention trains.
US have some issues with maintenance but their network is so vast it's like comparing apples with pears.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #347
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Are New Zeland changing the white line center for yellow ones ??
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #348
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Yellow when overtaking isn't allowed, white when it is
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #349
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
Amazing pics

greeting from Brazil

Matamata is funny because in portuguese matamata means killkill hahaha
Hi, Thanks mate ... the folks over in Matamata will get their knickers in a knot if they knew the Portuguese meaning ... thanks for the comment and Happy Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Great pics Sydney! Thanks mate.
Nice to see the Waikato Expressway

P.s. Sydney
Both Otara and Mangere have motorways running through them
You are most welcome B ... thanks for the info .... what I meant to say is that the motorway bypasses the suburbs that I mentioned (Otara to the left of the motorway when you are travelling South) and there is nothing to see but trees along the motorway. I haven't travelled on the airport route for ages now but the same would apply to Mangere .... it is not as if they cut through the afore-mentioned suburbs and I deliberately ignore taking photographs because they are "ugly"

User NealC is the infamous KiwiRob who has been banned from various forums and once again we wish him farewell

P.S. Happy Easter to you and yours

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 10th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:31 AM   #350
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

SH1 - LAKE KARAPIRO:

Old July 5th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #351
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Waterview Connection | The widest Tunnels in Australasia

Client NZTA * Location Auckland * Completion 2016

The $1.4 billion Waterview Connection project will complete Auckland’s Western Ring Route. The project involves almost five kilometres of new motorway including two parallel tunnels, 2.4 kilometres in length, and interchanges to connect to the Southwestern Motorway at Mt Roskill and to the Northwestern Motorway at Great North Road. It will be the largest, most expensive and most complex roading project ever undertaken in New Zealand.

The Western Ring Route will provide a 48-kilometre alternative to State Highway 1 and the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Construction will start in November with the project expected to be completed by the end of 2016. Part of the Well-Connected Alliance Team (Comprising NZTA, Fletcher Construction, McConnell Dowell Constructors, Parsons Brinkerhoff NZ, Beca Infrastructure, Tonkin and Taylor, Boffa Miskell and Obayashi Corporation), Warren and Mahoney is responsible for the architectural components of the project including the ventilation stacks, egress structures, vehicular and pedestrian bridges and associated tunnel buildings.

Tender Design Concept

Inspired by the aesthetic forms of Obsidian (volcanic glass) the original design for the tunnel's ventilation stack has focussed on creating a slender form of elegance and beauty. Its full sculptural appearance is appreciated on approach from the motorway as the stake’s slanted form extends down to the motorway serving as the portal’s dividing wall. The notion of extruded boxes shifting in and out of the tunnel express traffic movement through the tunnel, its glazed ends revealing and celebrating the tunnel’s mechanical and servicing operations. Glazed patterning to offer detail features internally fixed aluminium louvres creating depth and detail to the glazed edges.

Last edited by SYDNEY; August 20th, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #352
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

WOW im suprised! and they say New zealands economy is weak well when i went over there just recently it seemed ok. Have to admit Aucklands Roads and Motorway network is alot better than Sydneys. I'd say within in a few years when the M2-F3 link tunnel in Sydney is built it will become the largest tunnels in Australasia. but otherwise this Tunnel looks great!

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 18th, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #353
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by natfat madd ****** View Post
WOW im suprised! and they say New zealands economy is weak well when i went over there just recently it seemed ok. Have to admit Aucklands Roads and Motorway network is alot better than Sydneys. I'd say within in a few years when the M2-F3 link tunnel in Sydney is built it will become the largest tunnels in Australasia. but otherwise this Tunnel looks great!
My fault, it should have read "widest" tunnels all fixed. I hope that you enjoyed your visit
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM   #355
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Splendid scenery!! How good does New Zealand look!

Never been to NZ, I should visit one day.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:52 PM   #356
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Splendid scenery!! How good does New Zealand look!

Never been to NZ, I should visit one day.
Thanks, it should be a cheap trip for you and if you are in AKL let me know, I will show you around
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #358
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19372

Beautiful photos!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #359
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Beautiful photos!