daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM   #381
JohnnyCX

Awesome tunnel, so in NZ you drive on left as in AUS.
Great infrastructure, those signs showing the speed at which cars should take the curves seem to be very useful.
JohnnyCX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:38 AM   #382
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCX View Post
those signs showing the speed at which cars should take the curves seem to be very useful.
exactly the same as the US signs at curves.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM   #383
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCX View Post
Awesome tunnel, so in NZ you drive on left as in AUS.
Great infrastructure, those signs showing the speed at which cars should take the curves seem to be very useful.
Same driving side as AUS, different signage and line markings which are actually quite similar to the US. especially the double lines because they were yellow. when Travelling in NZ, i felt like i was somewhere in Canada or the US in some places, especially when i was in some suburbs of Auckland where they have a Wendy's hamburger Resturant, Dunkin donuts and Carl JR's which we do not have over here in AUS.
natfat madd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #384
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Australia and New Zealand share one standard for road signage including markings on the pavement. That is AS1742. As such, the signage and line markings of the two countries should be largely similar. But I should emphasize the word "should" here. For all sorts of reasons, you see differences between Australia and NZ and, in fact, between Australian states/territories. Which then leads to associations with the US that should actually not be ...
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #385
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Australia and New Zealand share one standard for road signage including markings on the pavement. That is AS1742. As such, the signage and line markings of the two countries should be largely similar. But I should emphasize the word "should" here. For all sorts of reasons, you see differences between Australia and NZ and, in fact, between Australian states/territories. Which then leads to associations with the US that should actually not be ...
Could you explain that last sentence?

To be honest, you can't find much consistency between Aus and NZ at all (and as you said, even between some Australian states).
NZ road marking is a mix of American (botts dots and yellow no passing lines) and European style (white centre lining and flush medians).
In terms of signage, NZ uses a mix of European and U.S. styles.
Australia uses a kind of quasi UK/continental European marking system with US/North American style signage.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #386
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

My last remark was simply based on the fact that the two countries share one standard of signage and markings. Obviously a standard can be deviated from (the road authorities of some Australian states have lists on their websites outlining their deviations from AS1742), but when you share one standard, it is a bit odd to have deviations so substantial that you can actually say that the two countries do not look similar at all.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #387
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Could you explain that last sentence?

To be honest, you can't find much consistency between Aus and NZ at all (and as you said, even between some Australian states).
NZ road marking is a mix of American (botts dots and yellow no passing lines) and European style (white centre lining and flush medians).
In terms of signage, NZ uses a mix of European and U.S. styles.
Australia uses a kind of quasi UK/continental European marking system with US/North American style signage.
I actually thought some of the signage that shows the distance to exits along Motorways in cities like Auckland were quite US/North American.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #388
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

The start of tunnelling on the NZ Transport Agency’s (NZTA) landmark Waterview Connection project in Auckland has moved a significant step closer with the NZTA’s Well-Connected Alliance formally accepting the huge machine it will use to construct the twin 2.5km-long tunnels. The state-of-the-art Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) is the 10th largest machine of its kind ever to be built worldwide and has been designed specifically for the unique ground conditions on the $1.4b Waterview Connection - the biggest transport construction project in New Zealand’s history and the key to unlocking the full benefits of Auckland’s motorway network. The handover – marked by an official signing at Guangzhou in south east China where the German manufacturer of the TBM, Herrenknecht, has a factory – follows 14 months of design, build and testing of the giant machine. The TBM’s circular cutting head, painted black with a silver fern logo, is more than 14 metres wide – the equivalent of a building three storeys high – and the machine is almost 100 metres long – the length of a rugby field. The machine will now be dismantled for shipment to New Zealand and is due to arrive in Auckland in July before being reassembled at the project’s southern tunnel portal to begin tunnelling in October. The Waterview Connection is part of the Western Ring Route road of national significance and will join SH20 (Southwestern Motorway) and SH16 (Northwestern Motorway) to complete a 47 kilometre-long motorway alternative to SH1 and the Auckland Harbour Bridge ... MORE

Reminder of what is going to be built ....

Waterview Connection | The widest Tunnels in Australasia

Client NZTA * Location Auckland * Completion 2016

And video ...

ChrisZwolle, KIWIKAAS, Burden liked this post
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Tunnel Boring Machines with a diameter greater than 12.5 meter are quite rare. The largest currently in use in Europe has a diameter of 15.6 meters.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #390
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

New Motorway project in Christchurch ...

Old May 30th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #391
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

KIWIKAAS, verreme, snowdog, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #392
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

verreme, snowdog liked this post
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:14 AM   #393
Burden

I've been waiting to see pictures of State Highway 18! it was a construction pit when I was last there, great views. Thanks for the shots.

Also the largest boring tunnel machine in the world is being used in Brisbane atm i'm pretty sure??? Maybe a fib, i'm pretty sure I read something about it last year.
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:45 AM   #394
Burden

bogdymol liked this post
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:16 AM   #395
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
I've been waiting to see pictures of State Highway 18! it was a construction pit when I was last there, great views. Thanks for the shots.

Also the largest boring tunnel machine in the world is being used in Brisbane atm i'm pretty sure??? Maybe a fib, i'm pretty sure I read something about it last year.
No worries mate, it could be, I have no idea

They are getting ready to bore away ...

Burden liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #396
natfat madd
Nate0z197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
This actually looks like the crossing between heaven and earth.
Must come visit soon, i miss NZ to be honest, wouldn't mind doing the South island this time though.

Burden liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:20 AM   #397
Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by natfat madd View Post
This actually looks like the crossing between heaven and earth.
Must come visit soon, i miss NZ to be honest, wouldn't mind doing the South island this time though.
It is seriously stunning scenery. I've never experienced anything like it, especially the trip inland from Christchurch to Queenstown!! I met Canadians at a servo out of Queenstown and they noted how much they preferred NZ scenery to Canada. My god, even passing through Arrowtown and Alexandra at say around 5:30pm is seriously amazing, the shimmering light coming from the pine trees is truly spectacular. It is worth the trip believe me.
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #398
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Some randoms taken from Sky Tower ...

snowdog liked this post
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #399
yeow
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Hi Sydney how can you get either of those two images from the Skytower?
yeow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #400
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeow View Post
Hi Sydney how can you get either of those two images from the Skytower?
Hi yeow, not quite sure what is meant by the question but if you are referring to the close-up I used a zoom lens