daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #401
yeow
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Ok I get AGS, looking back over my shots I have a similar one using a 7D with 70-200 F2.8 and a 1.4 teleconverter, but St Mary's I'm at a loss how you got it because the angles looks all wrong. I think I'm going to have to go up again and give it a shot myself.
yeow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #402
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeow View Post
Ok I get AGS, looking back over my shots I have a similar one using a 7D with 70-200 F2.8 and a 1.4 teleconverter, but St Mary's I'm at a loss how you got it because the angles looks all wrong. I think I'm going to have to go up again and give it a shot myself.
Yeah pop up and give it another go
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #403
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Government has just announced major investments worth billions of Dollars ...

Government reveals shape of Auckland's transport future

The Government will push major roading projects In Auckland including a wider southern motorway, upgraded roading to the airport, and a freight corridor in Manukau before it begins work on the City Rail Link and a second Waitemata Harbour Crossing, Prime Minister John Key has revealed this afternoon. Mr Key confirmed that Government would back Auckland's three top transport priorities - the City Rail Link, another Waitemata Harbour crossing, and the Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative (AMETI), which includes the East-West Link. "These three projects are all identified as the highest transport priorities in the Council's Auckland Plan," he said. "They have a price tag of around $10 billion and they are projects that need to be planned for over a long period of time." The harbour crossing will be twin tunnels under the Waitemata - the option of another bridge has been ruled out - and construction was expected to start between 2025 and 2030. Auckland Council would begin protecting land for the development in December once the alignment of the crossing had been finalised ... MORE

Builders ready for huge Auckland transport jobs

Building bosses have today welcomed the Government's $10 billion Auckland infrastructure plans, saying the sector was in recovery mode. Prime Minister John Key today outlined a plan to kick-start the next generation of major Auckland transport projects, including the Second Harbour Crossing, the City Rail Link and two other state highway projects. At an Auckland Chamber of Commerce event today, he said the Government would back the combined Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative (AMETI) and East-West Link, the second Waitemata Harbour crossing and the City Rail Link. "These three projects are all identified as the highest transport priorities in the council's Auckland Plan. They have a price tag of around $10 billion and they are projects that need to be planned for over a long period of time," Key said ... MORE

Last edited by SYDNEY; June 28th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #404
yeow
BANNED

Decent plans, they missed penlink, that's a link that is a must do, traffic on the Peninsular is killer these days.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Interesting plans! I think the Harbour Crossing is interesting, it could be a tunnel like they did in Sydney.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #406
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeow View Post
Hi Sydney how can you get either of those two images from the Skytower?
It's a serious zoom, you would need at least a 2 x TC with your 70-200 and then crop in further to get the same.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM   #407
yeow
BANNED

Now you got me curious, what lens was used? 100-400 with a 2 x teleconverter and a decent tripod?
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kapiti Expressway

The court dismissed the appeals against the construction of the Kapiti Expressway yesterday.

The Kapiti Expressway is a new four-lane road through the "Kapiti Coast" just north of Wellington. It is part of National Highway 1.

I wonder why it is called an expressway, because it looks more like a motorway. All junctions are grade-separated and the design speed is 110 km/h.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/mac...eka/index.html
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM   #409
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

I don't think it really matters in this part of the world...expressways, motorways, freeways, highways, superway, ~link. Our motorways are few and simple. The road network structure not as complex as America or Europe.

It's great to see Auckland revealing their transport plans, to take their city up to the next level in terms of infrastructure for the future.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:06 PM   #410
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Not just "that part of the world. In large parts of the U.S., the word "expressway" means the same thing as "freeway," at least among the general public (and state DOTs that put up "Expressway Ends" signs on some stretches and "Freeway Ends" on others*, regardless of what the MUTCD says.

*Pennsylvania example available on request.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; August 21st, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Realized all that didn't need to be said, but got to the computer too late. Sorry, Chris.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM   #411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I know that the word "expressway" is widely used in the eastern hemisphere for controlled-access highways, but New Zealand uses the word motorway for such roads. There are also expressways in New Zealand, but they tend to have signalized intersections. The Kapiti Expressway looks more like what would otherwise be called a motorway in New Zealand.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #412
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

The term 'Expressway' in NZ is quite specific for non motorway divided highways so I can understand Chris's confusion.
I can only think that the reason comes from this specific section being part of a longer Kapiti Expressway which for the most part will indeed be expressway standard.
Also, if cyclists are allowed to use the shoulders, then it can't be classified as a motorway either in NZ.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #413
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
expressways, motorways, freeways, highways, superway, etc
Haha yeah, they're all ROADS
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-a...ectid=11122855
A starting block has been taken away on the 18.5-kilometre, four-lane motorway between Puhoi and Warkworth with construction tipped to start half way through next year.
That would be an extension of the Northern Motorway that runs through Auckland. It's part of State Highway 1 and is planned to run all the way to Wellsford in phase II.

I've been looking into the design, it's a 2x2 motorway with shoulders, but there won't be any interchanges between Puhoi and north of Warkworth. The Puhoi interchange will only give access to and from the south. Traffic to and from the north need to U-turn near the Johnstone’s Hill tunnels.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #415
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-a...ectid=11122855
A starting block has been taken away on the 18.5-kilometre, four-lane motorway between Puhoi and Warkworth with construction tipped to start half way through next year.
That would be an extension of the Northern Motorway that runs through Auckland. It's part of State Highway 1 and is planned to run all the way to Wellsford in phase II.

I've been looking into the design, it's a 2x2 motorway with shoulders, but there won't be any interchanges between Puhoi and north of Warkworth. The Puhoi interchange will only give access to and from the south. Traffic to and from the north need to U-turn near the Johnstone’s Hill tunnels.
It's BCRs don't add up. The traffic volumes are obscenely low and only hit a "high point" during holiday season when people travel to their bach (holiday home) on the beach. This is why it has been referred to as the "holiday highway". Very unhelpful piece of infrastructure that businesses in Northland say won't assist them one bit. When one considers the price tag too, one can see that it is by far a bad investment.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #416
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've looked up the traffic counts. The 2012 AADT between Warkworth and Puhoi is 17,000 - 18,000 vehicles per day, that is fairly high for a two-lane road, and many countries consider this to be "motorway-grade" traffic volumes. Spare capacity is pretty minimal with such volumes. Roads with such volumes tend to be unsafe.

Wellsford - Wackworth carries less traffic, about 11,000 vehicles per day.
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #417
KIWIKAAS

A main trunk route with an AADT of 10,000+ vehicles should be a 4 lane devided highway. A 17-18, 000 average AADT, coupled with the nature of topography of the area definitely warrents a major overhaul of the route.
I have no info on what an upgrade of the existing route would have cost opposed to the motorway option but atleast the motorway will be tolled.
Alot of opposition arises for a large part out of frustration at the piecemeal funding given to crucial public transport projects in Auckland such as the central rail loop. Many percieve the govt preference for Puhoi - Wellsford motorway while major rail projects in Auckland languish as a great injustice.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #418
scurt/2
rakastan sisua!

Likes (Received): 134

Are there any plans for a motorway to link Cambridge with Tauranga?
scurt/2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #419
KIWIKAAS

Yep.
There is already a concrete plan for an expressway/motorway Sh29 from Tauranga for the first kms towards Hamilton and more general plans (including a possible tunnel) continuing over (or through) the ranges.
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #420
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Waikato Expressway

A 12.3 km new stretch of the Waikato Expressway was inaugurated today. It's north of Hamilton, between SH 1 and SH 1B. It will open to traffic next week, likely on Monday December 16.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

KIWIKAAS liked this post