daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2015, 05:16 AM   #481
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

In Ontario at least, the limit is more of a guideline. Most cars do around 120 on rural motorways, and 110 on urban highways. The outer ring road of Toronto (tolled road) sees average speeds closer to 130km/h, with the "limit" still posted at 100.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2015, 05:40 AM   #482
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

120 is still rather slow for an actual practiced speed though too (certainly I find it tiring). In Central Europe you go 170 and still people will pass you
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:45 AM   #483
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

I presume the 110 limit will only be on motorways and some expressways? I'm curious to see what gets rolled out
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:15 PM   #484
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
120 is still rather slow for an actual practiced speed though too (certainly I find it tiring). In Central Europe you go 170 and still people will pass you
New Zealand has barely any motorways outside urban areas. So the comparison to Central Europe is less relevant. Most urban motorways in Europe are limited to something from 90-110 km/h as well, sometimes 120 km/h.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Waikato Expressway

Waikato Expressway surging ahead with start of Huntly section

Work will start on the Huntly section of the Waikato Expressway this month after the first sod was turned on the $458 million project today.

The 15.2 kilometre Huntly section will connect the Ohinewai section of the expressway in the north to the Ngaruawahia section at Taupiri.

Once complete the new stretch of road will significantly improve safety and shave approximately five minutes off the journey between Auckland and Hamilton.

Mrs Clark says the Huntly section is the fifth of seven sections that will make up the Waikato Expressway. “This section will improve safety and reliability, and reduce travel times and congestion.

“SH1 between Huntly and Hamilton is classified as the highest risk road in New Zealand, based on the number of fatal and serious injury crashes per kilometre.
Full press release: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releas...untly-section/
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #486
Rob73

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
On a very select numbers of motorways in a single country this is correct, throughout the rest of Europe 170kph or faster will see you behind bars. NZ moving to 110/120 on certain motorways is fast enough.

What NZ really needs to do is improve driving training, New Zealanders don't understand motorway discipline, faster speeds will lead to bigger accidents with more deaths. New Zealand should also do away with allowing parents to teach their kids, driving should only be taught by professionals.

I own a 2013 A6 Avant, it's happy at speed and has been maxed on the autobahn, the problem is at stupid speeds the fuel consumption is pants. I find the best touring speed with decent fuel consumption is 140kph.

KIWIKAAS liked this post
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #487
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Breakthrough of the second tube of the Waterview Connection in Auckland has been achieved this morning. Tunnel Boring Machine 'Alice' has completed its journey.

The Waterview Connection is part of SH 20 which completes the western bypass of Auckland. The tunnel is 2.4 km long.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod liked this post
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #488
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1676

That is such an impressive project relative to the size of the city and country its in.

Sure, there are very very long underground highways in Asia but those are in cities with huge populations.

Auckland only has 1.4 million in the whole region, right?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #489
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
On a very select numbers of motorways in a single country this is correct, throughout the rest of Europe 170kph or faster will see you behind bars. NZ moving to 110/120 on certain motorways is fast enough.
In Germany or Poland it won't, and these two countries, simply because of their size and population, constitute 80% of Central Europe. And Kanadzie was referring to Central Europe, not the whole of Europe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
I own a 2013 A6 Avant, it's happy at speed and has been maxed on the autobahn, the problem is at stupid speeds the fuel consumption is pants. I find the best touring speed with decent fuel consumption is 140kph.
Same here. I usually cruise at 140-150 on the freeway. Still acceptable tuel consumption, and fast enough to get me where I want to go in a reasonable time. But it's good that the possibility at least exists that I can speed up to 190-210 if I really want to, despite my fuel use then getting into the double digits per 100 kilometres.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #490
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Waikato Expressway

NZ Transport Agency announces contractor for Waikato’s biggest roading project

A consortium of contractors and designers has been awarded a contract to build the biggest roading project to be undertaken in the Waikato, the NZ Transport Agency says.

The 21 kilometre long Hamilton section of the Waikato Expressway will be constructed by a group made up of Fletcher, Beca, Higgins and Coffey (FBHC), in an alliance with the Transport Agency.

The proposed design for the section includes five interchanges, 17 bridges and new connecting roads at Ruakura Road and Resolution Drive.

Over the next year the detailed design will be finalised and management plans required under the resource consent conditions will be prepared, ahead of the start of construction in the spring of 2016.

The Waikato Expressway is scheduled to be complete in 2020 when both the Hamilton and Huntly sections are finished.
Full press release: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releas...ading-project/

Old November 25th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dunedin Southern Motorway

Important Otago highway project opened on hot Dunedin day

Five years of safety and highway improvement work costing $45 million on Dunedin’s main State Highway south of the city was celebrated today (25 November) by Minister of Transport Hon Simon Bridges and parties involved in the project.

The first stage of the NZ Transport Agency’s Caversham Valley Safety Improvements Project opened in 2012, providing a four lane, median-divided route from Andersons Bay Road to Barnes Drive, improving traffic flow.

Today’s stage two milestone (external link) increases safety on SH1 from Barnes Drive up to Caversham Valley and Lookout Point. The new Lookout Point bridge allows motorists and pedestrians to avoid heavy traffic when crossing the highway corridor and enables all turns onto and off the highway to be made via left turn movements.
Full press release: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releas...t-dunedin-day/

The Dunedin Southern Motorway is the world's southernmost motorway. It's kind of a bummer that they did not replace the Barnes Drive intersection with an interchange (or right in, right out like the other 'interchanges') It is the only part of the Dunedin Southern Motorway / Caversham Bypass that is not grade-separated. Though the rest in the area is quite substandard, with tight right in, right out exits and hardly any merging lanes, according to satellite imagery.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

KIWIKAAS liked this post
Old March 11th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Waikato Expressway

Largest roading project in the Waikato’s history to get underway this month

The 21.8 kilometre long Hamilton section of the expressway is the largest roading project in the Waikato’s history. The Transport Agency board approved $973 million to fund the project.

The project includes 17 bridges, five new interchanges and walking and cycle paths, and will see a restoration strategy developed for number of Hamilton’s gully systems.

Prime Minister Rt Hon John Key and Transport Minister Hon Simon Bridges turned the first sod on the project at a ceremony today.
Full press release: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releas...ay-this-month/

map:

Original here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/wai...sway/hamilton/
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM   #493
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Images of the Waterview Connection in Auckland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
Photos courtesy of Greg Kempthorne...via Brojoro

--

Highway89, riiga, 8166UY, pai nosso liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:15 PM   #494
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Hi all,

In March I flew across the Tasman to New Zealand (North Island only) and did a driving holiday starting in Auckland and finishing in Wellington. I started in Auckland then drove to Rotorua (Thermal Explorer Hwy), Taupo (should’ve spent an extra night there), New Plymouth to Wellington. So I kind of zig-zagged my way down the island.

My opinion of NZ roads is that I thought that the core highway network was of very good standard but the minor highways can be a little substandard (I expected that to be). Due to terrain there are more frequent curves to negotiate, compared to straighter roads that I’m used to in Victoria. I found many urban arterial roads in NZ not that wide and were one lane each way; in Melbourne roads are usually wide enough for two lanes each way.

Below, some pictures of Auckland,,,

ChrisZwolle, pai nosso liked this post
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:19 PM   #495
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

From the skytower – that’s not me jumping – I’m too scared to jump!

verreme liked this post
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:22 PM   #496
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Taupo Bypass, State Hwy 1 (near intersection with SH5)

verreme, pai nosso liked this post
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:27 PM   #497
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

One of my feature drives was the ‘Forgotten World Highway’ between Taumarunui (middle of north island) and Stratford (nearer the west coast) (State Hwy 43). It is about 150km drive but allow yourself three to four hours as it is slow going. Part of the road runs alongside a stream, part of it through a gorge, parts of it through classic countryside that you just don’t see in Australia, and parts of the road straddling mountainsides where you can’t driver faster than 20km/hr safely. The road includes an eerie 300m one lane tunnel and through (the self-declared independent republic of) Whangamomona. Happy to have travelled on this road as a one-off but I couldn’t use it regularly and I couldn’t live in the area.

Highway89, verreme, mw123, Corvinus, 8166UY and 2 others liked this post
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM   #498
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

tunnel, other side

verreme, 8166UY, geogregor, pai nosso liked this post
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM   #499
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

ok, I wasn't with these guys....

verreme, geogregor, pai nosso liked this post
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:41 PM   #500
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

This would be my favourite scenery picture, but I don’t think my photo gives the actual view enough justice! The FWH snakes its way around the back.

mw123, 8166UY, pai nosso liked this post