daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #1
Paradine

Likes (Received): 0

Sketchup HELP!

Hello all, havn't posted here in almost exactly a year;
Quote:
Welcome, Paradine.
You last visited: July 18th, 2006 at 08:05 PM
Anyways, I have a few questions.

Sketchup: I love it, I feel like I could just go crazy and spend hours and hours and hours playing around with it. The only problem: I make a building higher than 10 floors (in perspective to the little man that appears upon a new document), the whole thing slows down right away, and it takes litterally about 2 minutes (thats a 120 second wait time) to highlight something, copy, and paste it; about 60 seconds to do a complete wrap around, and it's just crazy.

I'm using a nice Windows XP computer, but I suspect that the reason for the slowness is my cheap default intel chipset graphics card.

I'm wondering if A) there is anything I can do BESIDES getting a new card to reduce the slowness (I know about removing uncessesary lines, colours, shapes etc).

and B) are there any other programs that are EASY like Sketchup (that means NOT gMax :p) that will not have major slowness issues?

I just want to model things, and the slowness makes it so hard to do.

Thanks a lot,

Ryan

PS: Mods I'm sorry, I looked everywhere for somewhere this thread might fit better, but this is the best I could find. Feel free to move it if you need too!
Paradine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #2
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Turn off shadows and textures. But a 10 storey building? How detailed is it, post a render.
I have a model with almost 20 buildings done is detail that are between 50 and 120 storeys.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Paradine

Its never detailed at all, since I've never actually had a chance to get INTO Sketchup (because of the lag), the only thing I've done is made a cube, put an arc-shaped "door" on it (and pulled it into the structure a bit), copy and pasted that one onto another, trying to make a building. It just gets SO laggy, even when I make the pieces of the structure SMALLER than that little man.
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Paradine

Oh, how embarassing, lol: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=374725

Looks like you helped me before Malec!! Well, that's STILL happening!